nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Doctor says sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine

Doctor Says Sugar Eight Times More Addictive Than Cocaine

A U.S. doctor is making it his mission to publicly highlight some scary effects sugar has on the body. The chairman of the Institute for Functional Medicine says we're becoming more dependent on sugary foods and drinks - saying they're even more addictive than cocaine.

On"CBS This Morning," Dr. Mark Hyman said, "In animal studies, they find that the rats go for the sugar and that it's eight times as addictive as cocaine. Small amounts of sugar can be part of a normal diet, but most of us are addicted to sugar and don't know it."

Hyman himself has gone as far as calling sugar and sugary foods "deadly."

He told the New York Daily News that "sugar is the new nicotine. And worse, sugar actually causes diabetes and obesity."

The doctor's trying to help people find ways to lessen their dependence on sugar with tips from his book, "The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet."

On the book's website, Dr. Hyman says 600 people took part in the diet, which encourages healthier eating habits. Together, they lost more than 4,000 pounds, and their average blood pressure fell by about 10 points.

Dr. Hyman told New York Daily News the average American eats 152 pounds of sugar a year. Whoa.

More From You

404 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
kueblerm February 27 2014 at 2:23 AM

stopped using actual sugar years ago .... have Type II Diabetes so had to give it up....lost lots of weight and the Sugar problem is very small part of my life now. Feel better, look better and actually enjoy my food more than before, without sugar!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
planeman10 February 26 2014 at 8:47 PM

...and it's time for the food police to go police themselves, leave the rest of the population alone to and give all their attention to their own vices.....

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
creaghdubh February 26 2014 at 7:23 PM

Bottom line problem is with control and poor decision making. Too many people paying too much heed to advertising and not enough to concepts such as moderation and balance.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
dvanbib441 February 26 2014 at 12:36 PM

garbage

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to dvanbib441's comment
dethburger February 26 2014 at 1:25 PM

Yes, processed sugar is garbage.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
crazy ray February 26 2014 at 11:23 AM

You know, there are kooks and publicity seekers in every profession. Obvously you've found one who is primarily concerned with selling his book, no matter how poor the information and advice.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Chris A. Jacobs February 26 2014 at 10:52 AM

My mom used to discourage us fom eating candy and sweets saying they were "Empty calories".
I just read an article in Discove magazine that perports the benefits of nicotine when not combined with the other chemicals found in cigarettes. I quit smoking cigarettes when I switched to e-cigarettes with just a little nicotine mixed with food flavoring. It got me off cigarettes and makes me feel great.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
mbongtiwon February 26 2014 at 10:46 AM

We can use sugar in moderation.Sugar is added to all the foods we are buying,in soft drinks alone there is 23 grams of sugar and that is about 5 to 6 tsp. of sugar.Sugar is ok when we know how much we are consuming in our body by looking at labels of foods we are buying.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
steelarc10 February 26 2014 at 2:40 AM

Lets now see another government program to ban sugar. We have taken care of health, light bulbs, we are working on gun control, solved the illigal allian issue, spending, national security, embassy security. energy, oil production, coal power generation, breathing CO2, climate change replaced global warming, emmmmm.........just about every liberal problem has been solved except what to do about getting rid of the Republicans. We could use gas from all of the fracking and solve two problems at the same time.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
bmitche February 26 2014 at 1:05 AM

Not me. I hate sugar.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
lsmithville February 25 2014 at 11:35 PM

I don't care for most sweets . I love salty things and no I don't have high blood pressure, I am very thin and no kidney problems or swelling. I would choose a savory soup over ice cream any day.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down