The price of 10 pounds: Would you trade it for $10? $10,000? How about true love?

According to a recent body image survey conducted by AOL and TODAY, 61 percent of all adults would rather lose 10 pounds than receive $50. And we can't say we blame them -- feeling good about your body goes a ways longer than a small chunk of change.

According to the same results, 17 percent of all adults would choose the weight loss over $500 and 3 percent of all adults would be happier a little slimmer around the waist than even $10,000 richer.

Once broken down into two groups -- adult males and adult females -- it became clear that there are many more women out there who would take the weight loss over the money -- well, at least up until the five digits.

Either way, the survey got us thinking about what else people may choose weight loss over -- a dream job, a trip around the world, true love? Here's what they said.

For the full methodology of the TODAY/AOL survey, head over to TODAY. For full results, head to AOL.

Alex February 28 2014 at 1:01 PM

10lbs is an easy on or off. They should've made it interesting and upped the ante to 25 lbs. I bet you'd get different results then!!!

BARRY AND KATHY Alex March 01 2014 at 4:57 PM

Exactly!
Anyone desparate enough to even consider not taking the second option over losing the ten pounds is certainly a LOT more than 10 pounds overweight.
Now, an option of having to GAIN the ten pounds and having to MAINTAIN that gain for the rest of your life might make more people think about it. In than case, it would bring into play the people with some pride in their appearance.

Gina February 26 2014 at 2:39 PM

I'd take the 10 grand ANY DAY! Who cares about 10 pounds.. I need to help pay off our bills and the EVER RISING utilities that even though it clearly shows we're using less water, electric and gas than last year, we're still paying MORE! Cost of living goes up and wages have dropped in half with no raises. How are we supposed to keep up with daily living? Go off the grid like some barbaric savages, hunting for dinner and washing our clothes in a river? 10 grand is an outstanding amount of money. Most people obviously agree.

bwhitedjr February 26 2014 at 12:36 PM

This article makes no sense. By taking the money ($10,000.00), world travel, finding your dream job, helping someones quality of life, or my favorite, finding true love will probably help you lose any unwanted pounds. Your quality of life will grow exponentially by choosing the latter by directly contributing to your spiritual health, physical health, and economic health. The ten pounds will disappear almost overnight and will be forgotten, the right choices will last a lifetime.

lbreamer February 25 2014 at 8:08 AM

I could care less about the ten pounds - that won't make much difference in my life. Give me the money!!!

Cheryl February 24 2014 at 7:57 PM

AOL seems to conduct many surveys. I have been on AOL for 15 years at least. I have never once take a survey, seen a survey, been emailed a survey. I have 2 AOL accounts and get loads of spam and my account hacked at least once every two months. I just wonder how specifically they poll AOL people? I will take 10K. :)

dragondancer1814 February 24 2014 at 7:43 PM

Considering that all men have to do is walk and the weight melts off, of course women would rather lose at least ten pounds! It is SO not fair that all men have to do is cut out junk food or walk a few more miles, and they lose weight like crazy, while we women do the same thing and NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! ARGH!

I'd like to find the jerk who said that housework burns a ton of calories and punch their lights out, because I do all the housework AND almost all the yard work, I watch what I eat as well as how much I eat, I walk everywhere in town, and I can't lose weight to save my life!

Although I must confess that if I had the $10K, I'd use it to get liposuction and get rid of that Velcro-like belly fat once and for all, because that stupid stuff does NOT come off no matter what!

orocarson dragondancer1814 February 24 2014 at 10:02 PM

Dear Dragondancer1814. . .go to Weight Watchers and sign up. Their new Simple Start program is the BEST!!! And I DON'T work for them!

PamieJune dragondancer1814 February 25 2014 at 11:37 AM

This will work, but it will be hard at first - for 6 days of the week, eat nothing but meat and veggies - some dairy and some fruit are OK (look up low-glycemic ones). The 7th day is your "cheat" day - you can eat whatever you want (but don't go crazy on the portions). You do not have to exercise beyond your usual activity level (although walking is good for everyone).
No breads, no "white" foods - rice, potatoes, corn, etc. No chips, no sugar, no alcohol - nothing but meat and veggies. My son dropped 23 pounds in one month. He slowly introduced the other foods back in MODERATE amounts afterward and has maintained the loss a year later, give or take a few pounds. He eats whatever he wants now (in moderation), drinks once in awhile, and doesn't go to the gym and he looks fantastic. As a disclaimer, he does have an active job - on his feet all day long and always moving, so I'm sure that helps. Walking every day will definitely help, as well as doing some muscle-building exercises - muscles burn fat. Squats and chin-ups exercise nearly every muscle in your body - that's a great combo. Good luck!

dschor1 February 26 2014 at 3:17 PM

Well, it shows what money hungry society we are and I am part of it. I NEED the $10,000 to pay bills. Just buy a tunic and wear leggings and no one will know you gained 10lbs.

BARRY AND KATHY dschor1 March 01 2014 at 4:59 PM

Take the money, pay the bills, then lose the weight later.
The story doesn't mention any restrictions.

rweruss February 26 2014 at 11:11 AM

I would take the money always except the dream job because i would be paid 10,000,000 a year

BARRY AND KATHY rweruss March 01 2014 at 5:02 PM

The option was LOSE WEIGHT or the dream job. There's nothing stopping you from both. Dream job today, lose weight next week.

wendy.foster February 25 2014 at 11:35 AM

Me too.I have been with AOL several years and my mom for about 20 years.Neither of us has ever seen or been involved in a suyrvey.Methinks they LIE!!!!!!

Alex wendy.foster February 28 2014 at 1:08 PM

Same here. I use aol as my "newspaper" and brouse through it evrey single day with my coffee. NEVER have I been asked any questions relating to polls or even surveys, for that matter. AOL and I go back to 2.0......when you had to 'hand-crank' your computer......and were charged BY THE MINUTE from your telephone co. I recall, one night, falling asleep and leaving the program open.....going about my business the next day, to find it still opened on the next night.....and got a $400 phone bill !!!!!! They've never asked me a thing.

blo2thehead February 25 2014 at 8:17 AM

It's a trick question. The weight you lose you will find again and the money you gain you will lose.