North Dakota named happiest state, according to new survey

North Dakota Named Happiest State, According to New Survey

Do you live in North Dakota? According to a yearlong Gallup survey (which interviewed more than 176,000 people from all 50 states last year) chances are you're happier than the rest of us. "Fox & Friends" explains why.

'North Dakota is now America's happiest state. The unhappiest state is West Virginia. The rankings [were] based on work environments, health and access to food and water.'

And North Dakota wasn't the only Dakota that performed well.

"TODAY" reports South Dakota got the number two spot for happiest state in the country. Interestingly, both states beat out last year's winner - Hawaii.

WTVT points out Hawaii dropped all the way to eighth place this year. Some states that performed better include Nebraska, Minnesota and Montana, which round out the top five.

Enough about all those happy states. What about the unhappiest states? As you heard earlier, West Virginia took on that unfortunate title.

And according to Time, others in the bottom five include Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama and Ohio. Those states all have some of the lowest life expectancies nationwide along with some of the lowest median household incomes.

We don't know about you, but it looks like we'll have to visit North Dakota sometime soon.

Phil February 21 2014 at 8:14 PM

The happiest State for me is any state my wife is in.

doketx Phil February 21 2014 at 8:58 PM

That is a beautiful comment.

savannahswithgod Phil February 21 2014 at 10:19 PM

You wear that helmet to bed do you!

Lynn February 22 2014 at 1:07 AM

Perhaps a survey of political leadership would be insightful. WV is run by Democrats and absentee landlords, both who pillage and plunder for their own enrichment = leaving the state in destruction. There is little that can be said about North Dakota, we all know about their wealth and fiscal management. The Dems are doing this to every state now, and Americans have rolled over and allowed it to happen.

gingersage08 Lynn February 22 2014 at 1:45 AM

Wrong, Lynn. It's the GOP that's causing so much destruction.

mcasti2097 gingersage08 February 22 2014 at 2:04 AM

gingersage08, you're very wrong it's the DEMCRATS that causes so much destruction
in this whole USA... Don't you agree? Unless you are one of the recipient of FREEBEES....

Flag +2 rate up
paulinaz50 gingersage08 February 22 2014 at 5:06 AM

get your head out of the sand

Flag 0 rate up
paulinaz50 Lynn February 22 2014 at 5:05 AM

amen

sherylll February 22 2014 at 1:27 AM

I do not care to visit either of the Dakotas. Their fridgid winter temperatures would not make me happy.

gailbrazell29073 February 22 2014 at 2:13 AM

I have been going to W. VA. since I was a child. My father was born and raised in W. VA. and he was 1 of 14 children. I would go with my father several times a year, my older sister & myself, to see my Grandmother and all my aunts and uncles. Out of 14 children some moved away, but most stayed there. Lynn below said they are religious people and would help you out if you needed it. That was how all of my fathers family members were like. My father was a religious man and let me choose my religion, and at a young age I went to church with my father. My father instilled a lot of great morals, standards, respect, and I learned how to be a law abiding citizen. I wouldn't give that up for anything. About it being the unhappiest state, I don't know about that, but I do know that my aunts and uncles that still live there, that I stay in touch with are very blessed happy people.

Barry Pearson February 22 2014 at 2:19 AM

These online surveys are tossed at us monthly was come on phrases. "Best place to live," "Most fun City to live," "Best cities for children." These articles are a dime a doazen not offering any
real information except blue sky, the media will do anything to get one's attention and this phony
approach is all too common.

B. Pearson

Frank February 22 2014 at 2:32 AM

Regarding North Dakota: it must be all the live entertainment, diversity and job variety.

mcerdan February 21 2014 at 2:53 PM

I know they have parking....

Joe February 21 2014 at 2:47 PM

California Should be the worst state. after all, we pay the highest taxes in the country just to support illegal aliens and be ignored by the people we elected into office.

brennemanbelkin February 21 2014 at 2:37 PM

Pennsylvania is a great place to live.
You didn't hear it from me though.

Rick February 21 2014 at 2:37 PM

I live in Charleston WV and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. We recently had a spill which affected 9 counties water supply. I believe things were taken care of promptly and there are things that could have been done better. Right now there are some people out there that see a way to make a quick buck without just cause. These people don't care that they are hurting businesses and tourism with their opportunistic greed!