AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

How to battle the 'Sunday Night Blues'

Are the
Many of us know the 'Sunday night blues' all too well ... it's that feeling that the good times are over and that a long week looms ahead.

The informally coined term apparently applies to a lot of people. A recent Monster.com poll found that 78 percent of people experience the 'blues.'

Dr. Scott Bea, a psychologist at the Cleveland Clinic, says that the blues can "translate into a lowered mood, an increase in worry, or anxiety and an irritability as well."

To alleviate the blues, Dr. Bea prescribes planning some kind of activity for Sunday night -- it can be as simple as making a family dinner or planning to watch a TV show you DVR'd.

"Maybe involving the kids or involving the family in some group activity that keeps us engaged with each other rather than intrusive thoughts about our work week or school week."

He also says that unplugging can be helpful. Technology makes it easy for people to bring work home, which means they never get an opportunity to recharge their brains fully.

Chores like packing lunches for the next day are usually saved for Sunday night, but experts say that people should try doing that prep work during a time that's a little less stressful, like Sunday morning. As a result, the rest of the day feels a bit more restful, and less like prep for Monday.

More From You

-219
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
harrietfurby February 23 2014 at 9:09 PM

Easier said than done. Retirement is the best cure.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Sweetdollymama February 23 2014 at 7:00 PM

14 years ago I coined this phrase for this exact reason. I was working a job that ended up causing a complete nervous breakdown! I am now retired and thank God I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Al & Dorothy February 23 2014 at 5:01 PM

Sunday evenings are a great time to worship, be enriched in the Word of God, pray and have great fellowship with God's people. Try it, you'll like it!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
rayfridjr February 23 2014 at 4:08 PM

Try going to Sunday evening church services, vespers, and activities. That will help.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
tealejenn February 23 2014 at 3:52 PM

So the first suggestion is "making a family dinner"? How is that different from any other night?

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
cuznvinnie February 23 2014 at 3:19 PM

I was out of work for more than a year. I wish I could have had that "problem" while I was unemployed.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
nikkitytom February 23 2014 at 2:57 PM

Yep ... now let's all fret over this. Some "statistic" dredged up out of thin air, which states that a full 78% of us suffer from the "blues" ... whatever that is. On Sunday night. Wow .... the entire population of the USA is temporarily immobilized by yet another bit of psycho-nonsense.

Who writes this drivel? Maybe if we stopped obsessing over "me me me me" and how "I" feel, we'd be a whole lot healthier and happier. I didn't grow up with this nonsense. When I was a child, if I had a "mood" I was told to snap out of it ... unless I had a "real reason" for it. I learned while I was young what was real and what was self-indulgent. It's made a long life a whole lot easier ... and happier.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
1 reply to nikkitytom's comment
goldencheers7 February 23 2014 at 11:25 PM

Yes, we are so*******spoiled. While the rest of the world is suffering with wars, unemployment, natural disasters and starvation, Americans have the "blues" because they have to get up on Monday morning after drinking, eating and partying all weekend, get in their $50k car that they can't afford, go to Starbuck to get their supersized Mocha Frappe, stop by 7-eleven to get their Big Gulp and a Red Bull **** for later in the day, to go to work that no matter what it is, they seem to hate and complain about all week long until Friday. TGIF. Wake up people and thank God on Monday for yet another week to do some good.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Sage February 23 2014 at 2:54 PM

It helps a great deal to be able to love your job. That doesn't just come from the work you do but the people you work for and with. I have finally found such a job. Before this job, we found ways to make Sunday more enjoyable. We would alternate it being a date night with it being movie night or non-tech night, Turning off our computers and playing board games instead. We still do these things but now it is just to break up our weekend and it keeps us closer because we talk about something besides how our week has gone and what our next week will bring. As far as those of you who are shilling your internet jobs, it is inappropriate to do so when some of us are taking these stories seriously. Especially when most of them are scams.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
adika3z February 23 2014 at 2:07 PM

how to beat the sunday night blue,
read the KJV holy bible book,
read the holy bible online,
family meeting together,
DONT watch on tv sports every sunday,

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
1 reply to adika3z's comment
english February 23 2014 at 9:57 PM

Read the ******* Bible.Are you ******* nuts

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
hotspringspark February 23 2014 at 1:16 PM

For those of you who actually have jobs. Remember how happy you were when they chose you over others? Be happy you have a job. There is no need to get the blues.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down