nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Can your cat's behavior predict the weather?

4 Ways Your Cat's Behavior May Predict the Weather

Forget meteorologists and those useless weather apps; want to know what's happening with the weather? Check your cat.

Before the age of the Weather Channel and the Internet, Army First Lieutenant HHC Dunwoody wrote an 1883 book commissioned by the War Department called 'Weather Proverbs,' which included a list of widely believed cat behaviors that allegedly predicted the weather.

If a cat sneezes, grab your umbrella. We know you really want to grab your camera, but according to Dunwoody, a cat sneeze means rain. When cats lie on their backs with their mouths turned up, a storm is apparently coming ... so resist that temptation to rub the cat's belly, because you're going to need all your fingers to shovel the driveway.

A snoring cat means foul weather --- made even more foul when you're not able to get any sleep over that noise. And number four, if a cat is washing its face with its back to the fire, that means a thaw is coming.

Is your cat the next Al Roker, or was Dunwoody full of it? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

More From You

-116
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
annalea0737 February 25 2014 at 8:14 PM

An old Italian saying is if a cat washes their face it's supposed to rain. My lil' man was sure making himself handsome tonight! And yes, expecting snow.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Nancy February 25 2014 at 11:38 AM

when my boys lick their paws to clean their faces I watch if they bring that paw totally behind their ears first and then forward over their face, if they do that then it is going to rain.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
eaglewynd February 24 2014 at 11:05 PM

I wonder if dogs have the same response
for the weather

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Roof Family February 24 2014 at 9:16 PM

I love my cats but when they lick their butts, I have to wonder what they could possibly have gotten on their tongue to make butt licking a viable alternative.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
LL February 24 2014 at 8:36 PM

When a cat is licking it's butt, with one of his back legs pointing straight out - company will be coming from the direction that the leg points to. (NO JOKE) - My mom told me that and hitherto, it's worked every time - but if all this trivial comment does, is make someone laugh - Mission Accomplished !

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Loisanne February 24 2014 at 7:55 PM

My doofus cat is so bad at weather prediction that he goes to the back door, and if it is raining, he turns and goes to the front door, in case it's not raining out that one.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
lexton14 February 24 2014 at 6:31 PM

We have one cat that goes to the door in the morning. If he goes out, the weather is going to be good. If he turns around and comes back into the house, prepare for rain, snow or friged weather.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
rolando4rocks February 24 2014 at 6:30 PM

Every time it gets warm,I wanna lick my paws and take a dump...ooop,gotta go,I got some cat gas.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to rolando4rocks's comment
Blessed One X 20 February 24 2014 at 7:20 PM

Do you blame the dog (for the gas) like dad does? heehee

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
skinnycat February 24 2014 at 6:28 PM

He is full of it.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
mgray98003 February 24 2014 at 6:26 PM

Right on!! I have watched my cats for years and have yet to be fooled!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down