Can your cat's behavior predict the weather?

4 Ways Your Cat's Behavior May Predict the Weather

Forget meteorologists and those useless weather apps; want to know what's happening with the weather? Check your cat.

Before the age of the Weather Channel and the Internet, Army First Lieutenant HHC Dunwoody wrote an 1883 book commissioned by the War Department called 'Weather Proverbs,' which included a list of widely believed cat behaviors that allegedly predicted the weather.

If a cat sneezes, grab your umbrella. We know you really want to grab your camera, but according to Dunwoody, a cat sneeze means rain. When cats lie on their backs with their mouths turned up, a storm is apparently coming ... so resist that temptation to rub the cat's belly, because you're going to need all your fingers to shovel the driveway.

A snoring cat means foul weather --- made even more foul when you're not able to get any sleep over that noise. And number four, if a cat is washing its face with its back to the fire, that means a thaw is coming.

Is your cat the next Al Roker, or was Dunwoody full of it? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

ARNIE R February 24 2014 at 12:55 PM

Ha-ha, funny story.....
I have 3 cats and all 3 act as different as heck.......

Yet, I only get one set of weather conditions at a time.

Darrell Rose February 24 2014 at 11:17 AM

if he was correct we would have a lot of bad weather my cat is always trying to lay on her back. she has proven to me that she wants to play is all.

rita February 24 2014 at 11:08 AM

I don't have a cat but i have a jack russell that hates thunderstorms and starts licking my ear franticly right before the storm arrives and follows me around 24 hours before the storm arrives.
when i lived in missouri my irish setter would start pacing with the hair on his back standing up before we would get tornqdo warnings. My vet said it was because they could feel the air pressure
changing.

Anthony February 24 2014 at 1:54 PM

Love Cats & Dogs grew up with dogs but my wife adopted a kitten 14 years ago . I'm not so sure she can predict the weather, but she defiantly let's you know when she wants her treats...

Dede February 24 2014 at 2:41 PM

Probably not very accurate. My cat lies on his back all the time and we are in the midst of a drought here in Cal.

lisacatz February 24 2014 at 10:51 AM

Cute, but, definitely NOT scientific!

MICHAEL February 24 2014 at 10:41 AM

i live in in az. we have no weather other than hot and hotter. that might explain why my cat sleeps the entire day and only wakes up when im on the phone in the evening.

rwilliamhoward MICHAEL February 24 2014 at 10:53 AM

You must talk to your cat. When you are talking on the 'phone, she thinks you are talking to HER! Mine does it. I don't know what to DO about it, but it happens.

RE: 'Hot and Hotter'. People from 'Back East' ask how I can stand the hot (very) Summers. I tell them 'because I don't have to SHOVEL it in the WINTER! Shuts them up every time!

Judith rwilliamhoward February 24 2014 at 11:48 AM

Mine often jumps into my lap when I'm on the phone for any length of time (15 minutes or more) to get my attention. So, I talk on the phone and pet her at the same time. As she does think I'm talking to her, she talks back. It's really cute.

I lived in central Texas for almost a year (about 50 years ago) and the heat got to me - well, not the heat, but the lack of humidity. I got a sore throat about two weeks after moving there and it didn't go away until a week after I came back up north. During that time I was tested for strep (always negative), given antibiotics (just in case - that's what was done in those years), etc. and the only thing that relieved it at all was ******* on cough drops or hard candy all day long, along with drinking at least a gallon of water day. I never thought I'd miss the humidity and even the snow, but I sure did.

Flag 0 rate up
Loutfi February 24 2014 at 2:48 PM

I have owned or better yet befriended cats for the last fourty years....but I never was lucky enough to pick any with Meteorologist Talents....alas.

Larna J. Keane; February 24 2014 at 10:06 AM

I appreciate the story of the kitty born with deformed back legs, and how his life is being made more normal. Not that he would mind, either way. Cats are special creatures and like dogs and other pets, they ask for very little but what they give back is beyond compare. Love, adoringly loyal Love.

rsharding February 24 2014 at 10:01 AM

I always use my cat as my personal weather station. She is correct half the time which is more accurate than my local weather guy on TV.

World Series