California woman to reunite with son 52 years later

California Woman to Reunite with Son 50 Years Later

An Elk Grove woman is preparing to reunite with the child she gave up for adoption in 1962.

Vivian Camp will be flying to Hartford, Conn. in March to meet her long-lost son on his 52nd birthday.

Camp found her son with the help of Catholic Services, the agency that arranged the adoption in Pennsylvania.

By January, four months after beginning to search, Camp said she was speaking with her son, Ray, 51, by telephone regularly.

Camp said Ray's first words were, "Are you my mom?"

And Camp shared another exchange from that day: "He said, 'What are we going to call each other?' I said, 'Well, you go by your middle name, so I'm going to call you Ray.' There was a pause and he said, 'I need to call you Mom.' I said, 'Oh, that works for me!'"

Now, she said they speak every day by telephone.

Camp told KCRA 3 that she became pregnant at 18 and was sent away by her family to a Catholic home for unwed mothers. She said adoption was expected.

"There was no discussion," Camp said. "No counseling before or after."

Camp said the child was immediately removed after birth, and she was not allowed to hold the infant.

Camp was happily married three years later and had a family. She raised two sons and is enjoying a good life since moving to California.

Camp said she blocked out the memory of the lost child until last October.

"I have no idea why I got up one morning, sat down at the computer and went to the Catholic Charities website," Camp said.

The application to search on the Catholic Charities' website included a question about why the parent is seeking information.

Camp said her answer was, "There has been a hole in my heart for over 50 years and I realize that I am getting desperate."

Now, Camp said the hole is filling in.

swimeze February 21 2014 at 1:15 PM

I was able to connect with my birth Mom and am glad we did. I think she is to.

rick52259 swimeze February 21 2014 at 1:53 PM

Did she tell you who your birth father was?

jcreitz23 swimeze February 21 2014 at 2:12 PM

Cool cat

patmarvin February 21 2014 at 2:57 PM

this is wonderful. I wish them the best.

rsticks18 February 21 2014 at 3:05 PM

wonder how the woman who adopted him feels ?

cathiehrdy rsticks18 February 21 2014 at 3:19 PM

She ought to feel just fine. If I were her I would be delighted to meet th birth mother and thank her.

Diana cathiehrdy February 21 2014 at 4:28 PM

You have obviously never been in that position!

Flag +1 rate up
WELCOME KAREN February 21 2014 at 3:34 PM

A MOTHER NEVER FORGETS....JUST POSTPONES DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES.

beachlady302730 February 21 2014 at 3:34 PM

I am happy to hear about Mother and son being reunited. I think all records of those adoptions should be opened for Mother and child can be reunited. If Mother or children don't want to be reunited they should state that on the records. But I believe most want to be reunited.

sttlkng1 February 21 2014 at 3:49 PM

It is nice to read about all of these successful reunions. While we might read a story about them, we don't really know the truth about what happened and why. But the fact remains, some parents lose track of their kids for many reasons and if both parties are happy to connect or reconnect, we should be happy for them.

I lost contact with the mother of a daughter I never saw. That issue is between us. But somewhere out there, there might be a woman in her forties that is my daughter and would like to meet me, whether it is to trash me for not being in her life, or rejoice in meeting me. I know I would like to meet her and even hiring detectives hasn't helped me locate her. I think about her almost daily. So, Lisa, if you are out there, I would like to meet you. I will keep hoping for that day and if it ever comes, I hope we will both rejoice in meeting each other, like what we find in each other, and include each other in our future lives.

Meanwhile, good luck to all of those looking to find that special missing person.

Hi Stella sttlkng1 February 21 2014 at 4:44 PM

you sound so nice, I wish you the best if you ever find your daughter. We seldom hear about the dad's that are missing their children. People just dont seem to consider all these babies had Dad's as well as Mom's. I think about it as the Mom of son's. why dont you try to find her?

edny.ed February 21 2014 at 3:49 PM

The movie "Philomena" with Judy Dench is about how young girls were cruelly separated from their babies at birth by Catholic run homes for unwed mothers. Watch that before you judge this woman.

Hi Stella February 21 2014 at 4:27 PM

back at that time and before a woman was branded if she got pregnant before sh was married. Two of my friends from HS gave babies up for adoption. there was no alternative. Then the other side of that was if you got pregnant and got married, you HAD to get married something that was never escaped from and people, even family, never stopped gossiping about.

Lynn Hi Stella February 21 2014 at 5:34 PM

There is an excellent book out that might make adoptees realize what the mothers went through prior to the early 70's "The Girl's That Went Away". It sure opened my eyes as to what my birth mother went through even though she had already had a child in her first marriage. If anyone was adopted in Florida or anywhere where the Children's Home Society handled the adoption - give up on trying to find any other information from anywhere else. The State won't even have record of who handeled the adoption if it was them.. But - you can contact the Children's Home Society and pay them for your non- identifying information (which I found out wasn't as true as they sent me), but you can also pay them to try to find your birthmother. If they do - they will contact her to see if she wants contact with the adoptee and if so, the adoptee is give an address only to write a letter to her to send pictures, ect. and then if the birthmother wishes - she can call or write back. CHS when they found my mother was deceased found my older sister.

ecmfly February 21 2014 at 4:45 PM

I too was given up for adoption upon birth. It is a long story but I was able to track down my biological mother and have a great relationship with her and my brothers and sisters. Just like this woman, it gave my biological mother great joy and relief when I found her.

kpamesa February 21 2014 at 4:53 PM

I was given up for adoption thru Catholic charities, found my birth mother but have NO relationship with her (her choice). The unfortunate part is that SHE controls whether or not I can find out about my birth father (he's still living), but so far she's denied me that right and the Catholic church says that I'm totally out of options. Guess the church is going to protect the men at all costs.

kolblh kpamesa February 21 2014 at 5:12 PM

You should be able to find out who your biological father is. Perhaps legal action would help. Another strike against the church in taking those babies immediately without any counseling. ttey should certainly extend help in locating your father. I feel for you. Good luck in locating him.

poll100 kolblh February 21 2014 at 7:01 PM

Counseling, you were pregnant they gave you a place to live and put your child up for adoption to a couple who wanted a child. What were you goingt to do with a baby? shameful concept back then and no way to support it.

Flag 0 rate up