AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

California woman to reunite with son 52 years later

California Woman to Reunite with Son 50 Years Later

An Elk Grove woman is preparing to reunite with the child she gave up for adoption in 1962.

Vivian Camp will be flying to Hartford, Conn. in March to meet her long-lost son on his 52nd birthday.

Camp found her son with the help of Catholic Services, the agency that arranged the adoption in Pennsylvania.

By January, four months after beginning to search, Camp said she was speaking with her son, Ray, 51, by telephone regularly.

Camp said Ray's first words were, "Are you my mom?"

And Camp shared another exchange from that day: "He said, 'What are we going to call each other?' I said, 'Well, you go by your middle name, so I'm going to call you Ray.' There was a pause and he said, 'I need to call you Mom.' I said, 'Oh, that works for me!'"

Now, she said they speak every day by telephone.

Camp told KCRA 3 that she became pregnant at 18 and was sent away by her family to a Catholic home for unwed mothers. She said adoption was expected.

"There was no discussion," Camp said. "No counseling before or after."

Camp said the child was immediately removed after birth, and she was not allowed to hold the infant.

Camp was happily married three years later and had a family. She raised two sons and is enjoying a good life since moving to California.

Camp said she blocked out the memory of the lost child until last October.

"I have no idea why I got up one morning, sat down at the computer and went to the Catholic Charities website," Camp said.

The application to search on the Catholic Charities' website included a question about why the parent is seeking information.

Camp said her answer was, "There has been a hole in my heart for over 50 years and I realize that I am getting desperate."

Now, Camp said the hole is filling in.

More From You

214 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
flcajunbear February 24 2014 at 9:53 PM

yes well....I was adopted in 1954 by my adoptive parents w/ supposedly agreement to Let my biological mother be a part of my life. well....that didnt happen. Dad got transferred from Shreveport to Salina KS and then to Topeka KS and then to Hurlburt Fld FL in 62. I kept getting different tales of what happened to my biological mother, from that she died to that she couldnt care for me so I wasnt stupid, I knew none of the stories were true. A cousin thought it was sad that everyone in the family knew who the lady was except me and he gave me her address and ph number. I didnt use it to contact my biological mom,, however bout 10 years later she calls me!! We have takled bout 3 seperate times but havent met yet. my adopted mom is very insecure and at now 90 isnt in good health. My regret is I have lost the phone numbers and the one realitive that kept in touch w/ here has now passed away. Evaline!!! if you read this. call me 850 301 0450 (wk)

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
deesper February 24 2014 at 12:34 PM

I was in a similar situation many years ago and elected to defy my family and have my baby and also keep her. Contrary to what people think we should do at the time, can the person facing this can decide what is bes?. I often ask myself if I did the right thing, being a teenager at the time. There were many struggles financially and emtionally that my daughter felt as we were both growing up together. I wonder if I was being selfish or loving. She did grow to become an awesome and strong woman , but I can't take the credit for it. I believe that genetics had a lot to do with it. I wonder

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Lynn Lincoln February 24 2014 at 11:51 AM

What a great story -

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
ponypkg5 February 24 2014 at 7:04 AM

Good for them. Let's just hope this does not cause any rifts with her husband and sons and current family. Have seen the excitement of the moment compound to an end game of abandoning the 'family'. God bless allof them. Wish them all the best.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
jaykayemail February 22 2014 at 4:24 PM

AWESOME story!! it is so nice to read about good stories. Most of the time only BS and insults are written about people. GOOD LUCK to both MOM & RAY

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
PSYCHiATRY is a SCAM February 22 2014 at 4:21 PM

amazing to me looking back how totally screwed up the roman catholic church was and still is

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
2 replies to PSYCHiATRY is a SCAM's comment
mielkele February 24 2014 at 10:10 AM

This was not only the Catholic Church. It was that way most everywhere in the 50's and 60's.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to mielkele's comment
Bryan February 26 2014 at 4:08 PM

you are wrong and dumb

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
lulubla3850 February 24 2014 at 1:06 PM

and this is the answer from a screwed up mind!

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
helenem297 February 22 2014 at 1:38 PM

This is a beautiful story!

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
fortlordeedah February 22 2014 at 6:56 AM

sharon....next time you coulda flew, take along your third grade speller and grammar book on the plain. I don't know which is getting worse, the illiteracy in this country or the ever widening behinds of the american woman

Reply Flag as Abusive -5 rate up rate down
3 replies to fortlordeedah's comment
kmchafin February 22 2014 at 4:02 AM

I am both an adoptive parent to 4 and a "birth parent" to 1 and I had 2 children who I both birthed and raised. Just hours ago my beautiful daughter (adopted) was talking about her mother, her father now deceased and her father's daughter (her half sibling...I hate the word "half"..there are no "half children!"). Knowing where she came from was important to her, AND she has grown and learned from knowing them. I also was in a "forced adoption" at age 19, handled by a Catholic Jesuit priest. I was sent out of state to strangers, completely sedated in labor, and was bound to the bed wrists and ankles. I was refused my request to see my child, and my pleas to keep the child were ignored. In my case, the Jesuit Province in Wisconsin says they have no records and are irritated I called for a reunion. As such I have no ability to ever find my child. Those days are called the Baby Scoop Era where many adoptions were coerced or illegal. What I do know about my 4 adopted kids is that there is more than enough love to go around, and I am not at all worried that my kids will love me less in finding their original parents. I am blessed to have raised 6 kids but I have grieved every day for the child I could never see or hold. Yes, it leaves a hole in the soul that I would not wish on any mother to carry.

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down
2 replies to kmchafin's comment
poll100 February 24 2014 at 7:39 AM

There was nothing illegal about a girl getting pregnant and unerage. Who was going to support this child? The children today kept by teen age mothers have crummy lives supported by welfare.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
CAMERON February 24 2014 at 3:16 PM

Bless you. Adopting. A child Having your own as well.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
mcrcj411 February 22 2014 at 1:47 AM

Is there anyone on earth of a certain age who couldn't say that something has eaten a hole in their heart for 50 years?

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down