Amazon moving to the living room with set-top box

Amazon Moving To The Living Room With Set-Top Box

If you think you need more Amazon in your life, fear not. The online retail giant could soon play a vital role in your living room.

According to tech blog Re/code, Amazon's long-awaited set-top TV streaming box, set to be released this March, will take advantage of the site's instant video service.

The box, code-named "Cinnamon," would run a modified version of Google's Android operating system, similar to Amazon's Android-based Kindle e-reader.

Competing directly with Apple TV and streamer Roku, the box would take advantage of Amazon's recent foray into original programming. The site's instant video service has more than 150,000 selections which gives it a unique edge over the competition.

But insiders at CNBC are worried a possible price increase from $20 to $40 for Instant Video could squash enthusiasm for the device.

"If they do that it potentially makes their video offering a little less compelling, because you have to be a Prime member to see this stuff," CNBC reported. "So it'll be really interesting to see how they do that."

It's also possible Amazon's box will double as a gaming system. The retailer bought Double Helix Games in early February and posed an ad on LinkedIn for a graphics developer in January.

Amazon's already an industry leader in online retail and e-books, so could television and movies be on the way?

Security analyst Michael Pachter told The Wall Street Journal that the move isn't surprising.

"This fits into their vision of dominating the competition in every area," Pachter said.

Of course, this is all unofficial since, as usual, Amazon declined to comment.

frozenbull February 22 2014 at 9:43 AM

I don't think that I've bought anything in the past 5 years that I haven't been able to find on Amazon cheaper than I can buy down the street . Most times the shipping is minimal and I get it in a few days . Stores better begin to wise up .They're just not competing anymore. And the slugs that work in some stores ,not all ,but some stores,could give a rats tail about customer service . Buying on line is just the way to go.

Elizabeth February 22 2014 at 6:19 AM

It is not an invasion, unless it is installed without the consent of the person concerned.

mzladysmiling February 22 2014 at 8:27 AM

Any product that allows people to cut the cable/satellite
cord is a great product !!!
Cable/Satellite companies are thieving ********
I've been using ROKU for several years, with
Netflix and Hulu for less than $20 per month, and my daily
News comes from the internet...I'm very satisfied with my viewing costs.
And I don't feel as tho I'm being robbed...

endmill44 February 22 2014 at 12:31 PM

I bet they do, and take more money from us.

Rchickn February 22 2014 at 9:31 AM

sounds like cable co. are slowly but surely crashing its about time lol.

AREK Rchickn February 22 2014 at 11:50 AM

Comcast=monopoly CRAP!

jgc884 February 22 2014 at 9:40 AM

Anything that competes with cable or satellite companies who rob the public with their overpriced crap is good.

rebersprts February 22 2014 at 12:18 PM

Unless movies are current like Blockbuster, they can keep it. Redbox and the rest..the streaming movies are so old it is laughable (with very few exceptions) Cannot understand people who say they are happy with Redbox or other streaming...Old stuff. Just go out and get the Redbox DVD and see the movie months ib advance

djuro February 22 2014 at 12:13 AM

I wonder how this might invade our privacy more than it is already?

sulandherb djuro February 22 2014 at 6:02 AM

Agree. 1) you decide if youi want it 2) you know it's there
they make it sound like Amazon is another NSA Not even close!

njenel February 22 2014 at 9:04 AM

one thing for sure, apple tv couldn't compete.

J W Buckholz February 22 2014 at 11:39 AM

Six states? Nothing new there, I'm pretty sure there were at least six COUNTRIES in California when I went to school in the People's Republic of Berkeley back in the 70's ...