Alligator pops out of sewers, terrifies residents

Turns Out Alligators Do Pop Out of Sewers

As "Good Morning America" reports, it turns out alligators actually DO pop out of sewers. Yikes!

"This guy ... right here, that's right. Look at that. Spotted at a country club in Sarasota, Florida. Maintenance workers say the gator is nine feet long," "GMA" reported.

WWSB reports the gator is still prowling free.

"As you can see, he's moving back in the pipe and the Meadow security says it's not unusual that these gators are moving through these pipes. There's a large retention pond right down the street."

As you can imagine, residents aren't too comfortable with the reptile being in their neck of the woods. Resident Daniel Healy said we should all think of what would happen if you were in the area with your grandchildren or your dog.

Apparently, the gator is retreating further into the drain.

Crews have been monitoring the storm drain and were working on a plan of action Friday morning.

nancy1ann February 21 2014 at 4:01 PM

why are people surprised about alligators in Florida...they live there too...mmmm

Newquest nancy1ann February 21 2014 at 4:41 PM

ALL of Florida? Tell me there's somewhere in FL that they don't live!

kolblh Newquest February 21 2014 at 4:57 PM

The getos in Miami, to scary for them.

Flag +1 rate up
merstockgto nancy1ann February 21 2014 at 11:17 PM

And they were there long before humans like when the dinasaurs were around.

frozenbull February 21 2014 at 1:52 PM

I lived in Daytona Florida for six years , traveled all over the state and gators are all over the place down there.This might catch you off guard for a minute , But it shouldn't be a surprize . And nine foot ,He just a baby .

bbh907 February 21 2014 at 1:50 PM

I'm sure people were quite startled to see an alligator crawl out of the sewer,but it's Florida and they live there too.

jmzeigler February 21 2014 at 1:32 PM

This is my neighborhood & there is a gator in every pond - and residents are alarmed? They move from pond to pond, are out sunning themselves on the golf course, etc. You just give them respectful distance.

M7 February 21 2014 at 1:29 PM

Oh please....it's Florida! What part of "we have alligators in Florida" did the residents NOT understand?

bienhoa72alum February 21 2014 at 7:59 PM

Guys - you are in Florida! This is not unusual! I've seen similar reptiles in the canals aroung prestigious Hilton Head South Carolina. This isn't nes, it's nature!

hattie54 bienhoa72alum February 21 2014 at 9:17 PM

I loved H H when I was there Xmas of 1997.I sure as heck didn't see any gators.I loved the dolphins tho.

merstockgto bienhoa72alum February 21 2014 at 11:09 PM

It is the east coast they all have pretty much the same reptiles and 2 legged vermin

jdm61cc February 21 2014 at 1:21 PM

That is not a sewer. it is a storm water drain which leads to a pond.

coptazlou February 21 2014 at 1:13 PM

get the Turtle man to get him

desmoi225 coptazlou February 21 2014 at 1:26 PM

No, no, that's the Gator Boys job! If they are busy, then get the Swamp People!

Lynne February 21 2014 at 8:06 PM

You know, alligators and Florida are sort of accepted. The one thing that truly bothers me is the fact that the snakes are taking over. I watch Animal Planet at lot and because of the growth in the snake population - and I am speaking of pythons and now apparently anacondas - would keep me from ever moving to that state. I truly think the State needs to do more to irradicate them. I know there are snake lovers out there, but, these reptiles are killing off the native animals and they are there because someone "dumped" them out for whatever reason. Not to mention they are not only dangerous to the native animals, but how about children and pets. How much spare space does the State have in order to save them especially when one female can lay 50 to 100 eggs a year - and maybe more.

Rob February 21 2014 at 1:33 PM

Wow. Imagine that, an alligator in Florida.