AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Sbarro closes 155 locations in an attempt to improve its financial performance

Sbarro Closing 155 Restaurants

NEW YORK (AP) - Sbarro Inc. says it's closing 155 of its U.S. locations, mostly in mall food courts where traffic has declined.

The Melville, N.Y.-based pizza chain said Wednesday the closures affect 1,400 workers. The move comes as the company is trying to improve its financial performance and update its image under yet another CEO who took over just last year.

Jonathan Dedmon, a representative for Sbarro, says the targeted locations will close Thursday.

"The last day of business is today," he wrote in an email.

Sbarro filed for bankruptcy protection in April 2012 when it was no longer able to contend with declining sales and rising costs. It emerged from Chapter 11 protection in November 2012, saying that it had significantly cut its debt and received a new $35 million capital infusion. Shortly after, it named James Greco, a former head of bagel chain Bruegger's Enterprises, as its CEO. Greco led a push to revitalize the chain's image by touting new recipes and ovens. But the efforts apparently didn't take hold; Sbarro named David Karam its CEO last year.

Dedmon did not respond when asked why Greco was replaced.

Sbarro owns 400 locations in North America. The closures do not affect the additional 175 Sbarro locations in the region that are owned by franchisees. After the closures, Sbarro said it will operate 800 stores worldwide, including 81 that were opened last year.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More From You

144 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Amy February 21 2014 at 8:27 AM

I like Sbarro's pizza. I hope ours doesn't close.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
jefroy2772 February 21 2014 at 8:07 AM

This is not about the economy....It's about BAD heartburn-inducing pizza and competition. There is no shortage of good pizza in the world. Maybe Sbarro should think about improving their product??

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
rhett14534 February 21 2014 at 7:37 AM

It's foggy out, blame Obama for that too?

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
coinguy804 February 21 2014 at 4:30 AM

haven't eaten there in decades...................I guess they're gonna keep that $4 slice now

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to coinguy804's comment
jabloomfield1941 February 21 2014 at 9:03 AM

I agree 100%--mediocre pizza, way overpriced

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Buckingham's February 21 2014 at 2:07 AM

Damn! They closed down MINE at the Columbia Center mall in Kennewick, Washington. I miss that pizza! All those different kinds. So sad.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Warrior February 21 2014 at 1:09 AM

Compared to most mall pizza, I like Sbarro's. I like their calzones and strombolis; and, especially like the Vesuvio chicken and roasted potatoes that I probably won't be able to find any place else. Too bad they didn't serve it at all of their restaurants, instead of only a select few. I'm 57 now. So many familiar businesses I've been going to for decades are closing, and I'm not only talking about restaurants. Not only are these old businesses going away, they are not being replaced by American owned businesses...and, in some cases nothing at all. I don't like foreign companies taking over traditional American businesses. I generally boycott them whenever possible. It's sad to see once bustling business districts boarded up. I worked for the same company for 12 years. It reduced its work force by 85%; but, I was able to keep my job, as one of the last of the Mohicans until it finally closed down all west coast operations. Many frineds have been laid off, had hours reduced, been made part time, or forced to have contracts renegotiated with lower pay and fewer benefits. I thank illegal immigrants creating an oversized work force, and ObamaCare for some of the problems; but, I never believed this recession is over. There are too many politicians, slick businesses, statisticians, accountants and members of the good old boy networks doing creative book keeping and making more bubbles for our future, while protecting themselves from the fall the rest of us will take.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
oliver February 20 2014 at 11:55 PM

the economy is improving - my butt

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
2 replies to oliver's comment
Ron February 21 2014 at 1:02 AM

If your in the top 1%, you're doing better than at any time in history. Guess the "trickle down theory of economics" was a joke on the "little people".

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to Ron's comment
ryanchi February 21 2014 at 7:25 AM

Obama and the libs have NOT practiced "trickle down economics". They have done their utmost to push the theory of " share the wealth". Which is tax, tax, and tax some more the middle class, give the USA the highest corporate tax rate in the world, and let us not forget "Obama Care", which forced companies to fire workers. What is happening to the USA is the opposite of what Republicans would do, and have done when in office.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
rkristafr February 21 2014 at 6:21 AM

yes the FACTS show the economy IS improving,... yer butt problem is yer head!

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
WintersWar February 20 2014 at 11:38 PM

I've always found them pricey, even when they were decent back in the day.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
yellowberry3535 February 20 2014 at 11:32 PM

i didn't even realize they were still open.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
sequestereddems February 20 2014 at 11:14 PM

sbarros used to be good a long time ago then they tried to go cheap and they have sucked for the last 7 or 8 years,

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down