AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Miss yesterday's Olympics coverage? (Aol)

2014 Winter Olympics: Day 13 Wrap-up

SOCHI, Russia (AP) - Fast five, Thursday edition: Five things you'll want to know about the 2014 Winter Olympics.

___

PUSSY RIOT LEAVES: Russian punk band Pussy Riot on Thursday ended their stay in Sochi by posting a video criticizing the Winter Games and President Vladimir Putin. The band had violent run-ins with authorities since arriving on Sunday. Band members say they are returning to Moscow to attend the verdicts in a trial of 20 people arrested after clashes on the eve of Putin's inauguration to a third term in 2012.

___

UKRAINIAN WITHDRAWS: Ukrainian skier Bogdana Matsotska has withdrawn from the Sochi Games in response to the violence in her country. Her father and coach says he and his daughter are "extremely angry at President Viktor Yanukovych" after a clash between anti-government protesters and police ended with 25 people dead and hundreds injured.

___

WOMEN'S HOCKEY SHOWDOWN: The game everyone knew was coming is finally here. The Canadians and the Americans play for the gold medal in women's hockey on Thursday in a matchup of the two dominant powers in the sport. It's the fourth time in five Winter Games they've met for the Olympic championship.

___

AMERICAN NIGHTMARE: Speed Skating - Winter Olympics Day 12 is ripping U.S. Speedskating after a disappointing run for the Americans in Sochi. Lamb, who finished last in the women's 5,000 meters, says "Over the last few years, a few of us have raced better in spite of the organization rather than because of it." The U.S. has yet to medal in Sochi.

___

MEDAL MOVERS: Norway is back atop the medal standings after winning two golds for the second day in a row - the fourth time it has won two golds in a day during the Sochi Games. Norway's two golds in cross-country skiing and the mixed relay biathlon on Wednesday moved it ahead of Germany in the overall medal standings, with 20 medals total.

More From You

15 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Jay February 21 2014 at 6:20 AM

The look on the faces of the American ladies hockey team right after they lost.............PRICELESS!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
lthrnck68 February 20 2014 at 6:02 PM

Did not miss it. Have successfully avoided ALL Olympic coverage so far.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Duncan February 20 2014 at 2:30 PM

I wish the coaches or somebody would instruct the winners to hold their hand over their heart while the National Anthem is played... I realize it is probably an oversight when a gold medal winner forgets, but it should be understood that we all see this and wonder where their head is at the time!

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
2 replies to Duncan's comment
walkson4@yahoo.com February 20 2014 at 2:59 PM

I agree totally . It seemed as if they weren't proud of their country. As if , they weren't proud to be representing America . Did you get that feeling ?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to walkson4@yahoo.com's comment
Jay February 21 2014 at 6:22 AM

Puttting your hand over your heart means nothing. No other country does it and it has no official meaning.

Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
macsportsvt February 21 2014 at 8:52 AM

Interesting! Very nice comment. I try to give it a thumbs up and the AOL/HP highly suspect system claims there are "technical reasons" why I cannot . I try again and they claim "You have alreday rated this comment". Could these swine be trying to rig the system. Hmmm Silly question.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
ileana February 20 2014 at 1:07 PM

I agree with many that the coverage of the Olympics this time around leaves a lot to be desired. Fist of all they only air what THEY think we want to watch. I don't know about everyone else but I would like to show my support to ALL our athletes by watching them no matter their sport. The network could put what they perceive as less popular sports during the day so that we can decide if we want to watch or not. Lets face it during the Olympics mostly all shows are reruns anyway and we can always tape what we want to watch. GO USA!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
billdavidison February 20 2014 at 12:56 PM

Just curious. How young do you have to be to start jumping off high, high places and do triple head first leaps 4 or 5 times and land on your feet. ? These men and women are impressive. But how do you start doing what they do?

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
jamnascar February 20 2014 at 12:31 PM

I will the Winter Olympics as much as I can. I love watching the Curling which they put this on at 3:00 AM wwhen everyone is sleeping. I would know why NBC can put it on in the after noons or evening time. I notice they never seem to make sure that they Hockey is being showed all the tine. I had rather see the Curling more unless it is for the Gold Medal. I also see they don't seem to miss any of the Ice Skating either. I think NBC has not done a good jon at bring the Winter Olympics to the people in the U S A at all.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
KOEHLER INC. February 20 2014 at 12:21 PM

I am in my 60's. I've watched the Olympics from the time I was old enough to understand. The Olympics were amateurs who gave up much to have a chance to represent their countries. I tried for but missed the games but was so pleased to have had the chance. Today, between Bob Costas and a case of pink eye (you'd think he was dying as much as they focus on him), the piss poor shape of many of the courses, the lack of respect shown to the US TV audience because the networks appease the Russians, I'm glad homosexuals can be who they are, US Olympians. I proud people of color can be Olympians, Mixed race Americans can proudly represent; Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean etc. born Americans can march, compete, and proudly wear the medals. The Russians do not like Americans...remember they are communist. They rule their country. And no matter how much work we have to do to accept our own mixing pot of races, religions, sexual preferences etc., we still remain the greatest country of people, commerce, and opportunity found any place in the world. I ask we ban together and move toward being a country of people that fight against all injustices by working together. Our government no longer has our best interests in their goals. They are all in the pocket of those with money. But, our Olympians deserve their time to shine, without useless commercials that do nothing to line their pockets with gold, although all they worked for was to win a gold for this country. I love the people of the United States, but I no longer respect those that say they want to lead it. Both parties have failed in their own ways. We should ban the closing ceremonies. Many people have gone home anyway. Don't turn on your TV. Let it be the lowest watched closing ceremony in Olympic history. The message will be a clear and resounding one from those of us who buy the products they advertise. God bless our Olympians. Please join me in banning NBC on closing night.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to KOEHLER INC.'s comment
walkson4@yahoo.com February 20 2014 at 3:08 PM

I agree with most of what you say. Not sure about the closing ceremony.. I will attempt it the best I can , not the only one in our home watching . We will have a discussion about it .

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Glocks Mom February 20 2014 at 12:18 PM

In my opinion, which I am free to say without fear of imprisonment, the 2014 Winter Olympics have disappointed me on many levels. From the NBC announcer Bob Costas speaking with our President of the United States of America as President Obama was unable to attend, Mr. Costas made a point of saying we will only talk Olympics Mr. President. And into the interview Mr. Costas riddled our President with inappropriate, deliberately planned questions that our President graciously tried to answer about the civil unrest across the world and the wars our service people are in. I was mortified, I couldn't believe my ears. And on to the cleverly named "Spoiler Alerts" from AOL and Huff Post to skip over the fact we are not shown the medal ceremonies, to cut programs such as women figure skating. In all there are a barrell of dissapointments across the board.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
miolana February 20 2014 at 11:50 AM

While I love the games and have watched many olympics this has been the worst coverage ever... From the President sending a group heavy on gays/lesbians as a direct slap at the host nation and his refusal to attend to NBCs coverage of the events... No coverage of the medal ceremonies which is an insult to the winners who work so hard for so long to get there... They have announced winners of the events before showing the events which takes away a lot... Why bother watching when you already know the result... Too much was made in the beginning about the venue not being ready and the one ring of the Olympic logo not lighting up in the opening ceremony.. Everything has been done to embarrass Russia who is hosting an ATHLETIC event and in my opinion that is very poor SPORTSMANSHIP... This has been way too political and it should not have been political at all.... There are times for political statements but this was not one of them and it has taken a lot of joy away from watching... Our country and NBC really messed up this time...

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
2 replies to miolana's comment
Janie February 20 2014 at 12:10 PM

You must not watch many Olympics. Remember the boycotts in the 80s, the slaughter in the 70s? Politics is part of it. I do not exactly get your point about how 'everything is being done to embarrass Russia'. From what I've seen, there has been tons of positive coverage about the people and the country.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
1 reply to Janie's comment
miolana February 20 2014 at 12:41 PM

I do remember the 80's and the slaughter of athletes in the 70's.. But, it wasn't the USA that caused any of those problems... This time it seems that it is our government and NBC that are throwing the barbs and trying to belittle our Host Nation... And, I don't think it matters who the host nation is, I think any nation who hosts the Olympics should be shown respect by ALL nations... We owe it to the athletes and all who work so hard and sacrifice so much to be mindful of the reasons we are there...

Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
milomiragebt February 20 2014 at 12:27 PM

I AGREE 100%...THE INTENTION OF NBC, THE MEDIA AND RADICALS IN RUSSIA IS TO DIMINISH AND GIVE BAD PUBLICITY TO THE GAMES IN SOCHI.
IT IS NOT ABOUT GAYS OR LESBIANS..IS NOT ABOUT VLADIMIR PUTIN..THE GAMES ARE ABOUT TO PROMOTE PEACE AND UNDERSTANDING THOUGHT ATHLETIC COMPETITION AMONG NATIONS.
THESE RADICALS NEXT TARGET WILL BE BRASIL. BUT BRASIL WILL BE READY.
SEE YOU IN RIO DE JANEIRO. GOD BLESS.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
muffin February 20 2014 at 11:17 AM

NBC is promoting NBC with the Olympics as a sidebar. All the complaints about the coverage are the same as those from 2012. NBC used the Olympics to promote their upcoming Fall season. Remember they interrupted the performance by The Who to give us a sneak peek of the silly show with animals in the emergency room. I know that stupid show lasted maybe 2 weeks. Also showing all the up close and personal bits is ok once in a while. However it does take time away from the actual time to cover a sport. Lastly, I would like some more upbeat music for the Olympics. I am tired of that marching off to war music they use. Oops. One more thing: I hate the way NBC turned an interview with Bodie Miller into an INQUISITION.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
1 reply to muffin's comment
KK February 20 2014 at 12:26 PM

I agree about the Bodie Miller interview. That was so taste less .

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down