AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Man Wins $1M Lottery After 20 Years Playing Same Numbers

Man Wins $1M Lottery After 20 Years Playing Same Numbers
You can say this for Iowa's latest million-dollar lottery winner: Rob Winburn is consistent.

"Robert Winburn won $1 million in Saturday's drawing. He says he's been playing the same numbers for the last two decades," KCCI reports.

WOI-TV explains that "He opted not to do a public news conference, but did share his number-picking secret with us. He uses the corresponding numbers in his last name."

For more than 20 years, Winburn, from Urbandale, waited for his system to pay off.

For instance, one of the winning numbers on Saturday - 23 - corresponds with the "W" in Winburn. But instead of the number 18 for "R," Saturday's Powerball was a 3, Daily Mail reports.

Winburn said he didn't even know a big ticket winner was in his area. "I put the first three (tickets) in and no win. Then (the winning) one came up. I just kind of glanced at it."

He told the Iowa Lottery what happened next in an off-camera interview.

"I did a double take,' Winburn said. "I did tell the guy next to me, 'I don't believe this.' He leaned over and I did it again, and he says, 'Sign it and get the hell out of here!'" (Via Iowa Lottery)

If Winburn had matched the Powerball, he would've won the $330 million jackpot. We doubt he's disappointed. He told lottery officials the most he's ever won with his system was $100.

More From You

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Claire February 20 2014 at 3:42 PM

I wonder how much he spent over the years??

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
John February 20 2014 at 12:12 PM

Way to go!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
booboodog February 20 2014 at 9:39 AM

I play Oregon Megabucks twice a week but only a few bucks every week, a few yrs ago I won $2100.00! I was 1 one # away from 10 million but still enjoyed my winnings :-)

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
rickbob15 February 20 2014 at 6:51 AM

I have been playing the same numbers in Connecticut for 31 years since lotto started, and only once i won $562. every so often i win $2.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im very happy for him congragulations

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to rickbob15's comment
paperbeach February 20 2014 at 7:33 PM

I'm on that page. I started in 1986. My first "set" of numbers was a computer-select. Since then, I've played those same numbers in each draw in whatever State I was in, at the time. So far, the only time they came up was when the computer selected them, never in a draw, though.

That computer wasn't a lucky one, I guess.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Scoot February 20 2014 at 5:54 AM

Nice !

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
gpanfry February 20 2014 at 5:50 AM

so he made his money back

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
lawrencefishberg February 20 2014 at 5:28 AM

This is such a load of garbage....this sham of a game makes people really believe that their payoff is going to happen when 99.99999 percent of the fools who play, never win a thing......

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
1 reply to lawrencefishberg's comment
RAWBRN February 20 2014 at 7:15 PM

To each his own, BUT you can't win if you don't play :)

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to RAWBRN's comment
paperbeach February 20 2014 at 7:34 PM

You can't lose if you don't play, either.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
morning mair February 20 2014 at 4:38 AM

Good for you! Spend it wisely!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to morning mair's comment
lawrencefishberg February 20 2014 at 5:31 AM

This game is a sham....

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
Hello Anowar February 20 2014 at 3:20 AM

I DO NOT BELIEVED THIS MONEY…!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
brd7789 February 20 2014 at 1:57 AM

It can happen. Just have to believe and get extreamly lucky. Funny thing is in my bowling leagues I buy 50/50 tickets every week. Maybe won 10 times in 10 years. Odds are like what 1 in 100 to win a 50/50 raffle ticket? But able to overcome odds of 1 in 2,700,000 to win some $$ on the lottery. Taxes are a pain, and let me tell you, they come after you 5 years later as well. Trust me, it's not as great as most think it would be. I know, I know, Pay your taxes up front and you will be happy. That's what I thought as well. But 5 years later IRS came after me saying I didn't pay enough and owed another 200,000 in taxes!! I took the lump sum!! So more $$ to attorneys to get them, the IRS, out of my pocket again!! All of the money goverment takes, states take, etc, makes you wonder how we are so broke as a state and country. Here's one that will smack you in the forehead. You know the lump sum option you would be offered?, well if you take the annuities, the lottery will put in your lump sum payment into a bank account as as interests hit it for 20 years it will grow to you jackpot!! So powerball worth what 300 mill?? but lump sum is like 167 mil? So where's the 133 mill going? You guest it, State taxes, Government taxes, and the lottery. And they say it helps our schools and parks etc. No raises for teachers, and schools don't seem to be upgraded much. Go figure!! Good luck peeps!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down