AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Family builds awesome luge course in backyard

Family Create Luge Course in Back-Yard

Over the last few years, the Evans family in Massachusetts have taken part in a winter tradition. Each year when it snows, the family works together to create a backyard luge course.

According to Christopher Evans, "this one is by far the most fun with its wide and high turns. I use a snow blower to start, but it also required a lot of shoveling, shaping and water to ice down the surface."

"The track starts on the deck of the house and has three high bank turns. Kids from the neighborhood zoom down the course, sometimes falling off the turns," Evans comments under the YouTube video.

... And you thought that swing set in your backyard was exciting!

More From You

-123
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Timothy-Theresa February 22 2014 at 11:33 PM

That is what I have done for my kids 20 yrs ago until they were older enough and spent more time at ski mountain lodge. Now I have done it again for two years now for my grandkids and they love it.. And yes, lots of works but worth the smile on kids' face. Only have one turn but the ride last about little over 50 yards..

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
phpoling February 22 2014 at 11:27 PM

Fun!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
neighmoon February 22 2014 at 11:04 PM

When my kids were little and we lived in NH, we had endless snow storms one year during the winter olympics. My 7 yr old son set to making luge courses above the buried-under-8 feet-of-snow Honda Civic. ( we didn't see that poor care for MONTHS ! ) I have fantastic photos from days and days of joy as the kids slid and zoomed and had enormous fun. For all of you saying "until one gets hurt", you can get hurt walking down the street on a summer day. FUN ! JOY ! Happy memories ! Good stories 20 years later complete with a lot of laughter and smiles. Do people remember when kids were able to have fun ? I do.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Louis February 22 2014 at 10:33 PM

Yeh sure, this is dynamite for the kids...until one gets hurt, then you see how fast the hurt kids parent file a lawsuit that homeowners insurance wont cover. Actually, Im surprised the local cops havent shut them down as earlier this year they were closing down kids ice-tea stands. I see all this as an accident waiting to happen.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to Louis's comment
brokentalas February 22 2014 at 11:57 PM

u must be a cop or related in some way to one

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
ea90048 February 22 2014 at 9:19 PM

oh i wish i can do that even though im in california.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
Kathie February 22 2014 at 9:18 PM

Back in the day when I was a kid our neighbors built one of these.....It was the best......Brings back very fond memories....The familys name was Dennis & Faye LaMack.....My friend was Debbie and she had two brothers Terry & Dennis......Oh to be a kid again!!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down
1 reply to Kathie's comment
donahuepapad123 February 22 2014 at 10:42 PM

yes , i remember about 20--30 kids getting together and building a huge downhill couse that had ramps , jumps , tunnels , and killer srt8 aways , all about 40 yards wide and 400--500 yards lond , in back of a local gas station with a lot of land behind it , and we used old tires to make the obstickles , tunnles , jumps and so on ,,,, we would play there all day , we were very , industrious kids , i could go on and on about tree fortes , underground fortes , making our own hocky rink , baseball / football fields , --- no electronics back then , you made your own fun , outside , allday ????? i try and get my grand kids out as i did with my kids , to do these types of things , good for the body and soul , HAVE FUN ALL

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
aledobears February 22 2014 at 9:16 PM

things like this, is what created the incredible bond between me and my two boys...God bless the parents, and stay safe as possible -

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
Lisa February 22 2014 at 8:40 PM

I wanna try it!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down
jwen477 February 22 2014 at 7:36 PM

Although the kids are having a blast, I just wonder how their neighbors feel about this activity?
Sounds can really carry in the winter and I just hope the neighbors around this house are in agreement about this. It would drive me nuts to have to be subjected to this every winter - and I can imagine how loud these kids are in the summer. But that's why I live in an Association that doesn't allow this kind of activity. And good on them for living in an area where they can - and do - have fun with their kids. Seems to me like this would be a good recreational activity for someone with plenty of acreage - not just privacy fences between houses.

p.s. AOL - I am getting soooooooo tired of seeing those stupid 'make money' ads on every single comment page!!! PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEM!!!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive -4 rate up rate down
5 replies to jwen477's comment
pubaer11 February 22 2014 at 7:12 PM

That is so cool! We built a curved hill in our backyard in Chicago during the storm of 68, I believe. My parents asked the city to dump the snow as they were clearing the street! Nice memories..

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down