nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Severe Turbulence On United Flight Sends Five To Hospital

Severe Turbulence On United Flight Sends Five To Hospital
Severe turbulence during a United Airlines flight sent three flight attendents and two passengers to the hospital Monday.

United Airlines flight 1676 left Denver, Colorado, and headed to Billings, Montana around noon on Monday with 114 passengers and five crew members on board. Then, something went wrong. (Via Google Earth)

"There was blood ... A lot of yelling, a lot of screaming. It only lasted probably about 30 seconds. ... It's the most helpless feeling ever." (Via WRC-TV)

According to the Denver Post, the initial drop the plane took was so forceful, "an infant flew from a parent's arms." The baby fortunately landed in a nearby chair and was unharmed.

And one man told a Montana station, he saw a woman hit a ceiling panel so hard it cracked. (Via KTVQ)

Apparently, it was a smooth ride right until the descent. One passenger says the flight crew seemed just as surprised as the passengers about the intense turbulence. (Via ABC)

"They didn't really offer any explanation because of what happened so quickly. I think they were just holding their tongues, basically, to figure out what happened." (Via CNN)

United Airlines released a statement that said in part, "Our primary focus is assisting our employees and passengers who were injured, and our flight safety team will review what happened."

According to United Airlines, all those injured have been released from the hospital except for one flight attendant.

More From You

138 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Elizabeth February 19 2014 at 3:57 AM

Why was that infant not in a proper infant seat? When I flew with my young children, that was a requirement.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
modawgs8 February 19 2014 at 3:33 AM

When was the last time you saw a chair on a plane? I guess that baby was in the right spot!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
bnevrgivup February 19 2014 at 3:21 AM

Seatbelts should be secured during flights at all times when passengers are in there seats. Certainly when desent starts, moreover seat belts should be enhanced to include shoulder harness for further safety.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
braniff66 February 19 2014 at 3:03 AM

Clear air turbulence is almost impossible to detect.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
lins February 19 2014 at 2:14 AM

aren't we supposed to stay buckled when in our seats or advised to..and babies on parents laps get a second seatbelt attached to their parents so why was the baby not restrained .and even smaller or lighter plane s can" skid "in the sky when strong winds hit a plane ...so buckle up..and follow the rules of flying.and use .common sense..

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Isabella February 19 2014 at 1:07 AM

You won't ever see me in an airplane. Been there and done that when I was little. I've traveled and have seen enough. DONE. I don't give two craps whether or not it's, "safer than being in a car, on the road. But... But... look at the statistics!" WHO CARES! That's not even the point! The point is that I do NOT want to die with people I've never met. I DO NOT want to die plummeting for 3 minutes downward convulsing and trying to breathe listening to horrific screams around me and prayers in 40 different languages just because one minor itty bitty electronic fault. Again, "But it's safer than being in a car!" I'd rather die in a car! You don't get that? Stop repeating what everyone else has already said.

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
1 reply to Isabella's comment
toniredfox February 19 2014 at 2:37 AM

I am with you Isabella, I have a terrible fear of flying, I will not fly ever again, no pills to calm me down help and to be in a horrible fear for an entire flight, only someone that suffer the fear of flying knows how it feels........I rather die in a car if that is what's going to happen, but not in a plane, not on a boat either......... I don't care what anyone says, I know how I feel and that's what is important to me.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Kimberly FRASER February 19 2014 at 12:16 AM

Please to all out there, trying to figure out how that aircraft became in CLEAR turbulence, PLEASE..it does happen!!! Just have it in your heart to pray for the Flight Attendant who is CRITICAL condition. I have experienced the same back in 2001..and it is nobody's fault. We just need to get better radar on ALL A/C's. God Bless The Flight Attendant and My prayers are with her......

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
hawtree February 18 2014 at 11:47 PM

A plane is no safer than riding in a car. Your child should always have their own seat, with a carseat. I always bought the extra ticket so that my infant would be safe when in the plane.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
sulandherb February 18 2014 at 11:31 PM

wonder if we'll ever hear the results of that review....

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
hellsmagnet February 18 2014 at 10:48 PM

is turbulence and fart the same thing ? it sounds awful .

Reply Flag as Abusive -8 rate up rate down