Miracle baby born after mom advised to have abortion

Miracle Baby Born After Mom Advised To Have Abortion
A mother who was told to abort her baby because it would only have a 10% chance of living went against doctors advice and couldn't be happier.

Doctors warned 30-year-old Rachel Collins that her son, Alfie, had a very slim chance of survival when she was just 20 weeks pregnant because she wasn't producing enough amniotic fluid. They also said that if he did live, he would be born without kidneys or working lungs, but she decided to carry on with the pregnancy.

Ten weeks later, Alfie was born by emergency C-section without any health problems. Collins told Caters News Agency he was a little miracle. "He came out screaming – he defied them all...It was a nightmare pregnancy but every day he was hanging on was a blessing," she said.

She and her partner, Tyler O'Driscoll, had tried to have a child for years and when she found out she was pregnant with Alfie last April, she began keeping a day-to-day diary, detailing every good and bad moment. Now, she's overjoyed to be able to give that diary to Alfie someday.

mayerfam2000 February 19 2014 at 12:17 PM

Doctors are not God. Ultimately each individual needs to make the final decision in their own health care. Get second opinions if you have any apprehension. Bless this family and their little miracle!

evelyon7 February 19 2014 at 3:10 PM

STOP DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT LIKE ALL CAPS. DR'S ARE HUMAN. YEARS PAST THEY FORGOT THAT BECAUSE WE WERE IN AWE OF WHAT THEY COULD DO. BUT THEY DO WONDERFUL THINGS ,SOME EVEN WITH PRAYERS. WHEN A PERSON ASKED GOD WHY THERE IS SO MUCH CANCER IN SO MANY PEOPLE AND WHY THERE ISN'T A CURE FOR CANCER AND OTHER DISEASES YET. GOD ANSWERED "I SENT THEM TO YOU TO CURE ALL OF THE CANCER AND OTHER DEISEASES BUT YOU ABORTED THEM" HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR BABY WILL WILL BE ABLE TO DO IF YOU DO NOT LET THE BABY LIVE??

Vimala Nowlis February 19 2014 at 3:30 PM

Mother Nature is the wisest and best of all doctors.
Sometimes the baby is deformed and defective, Mother Nature will spontaneously abort the baby so it does not dilute the human gene pool. It's ridiculous for doctors to interfere or for mothers to insist on saving every defective and deformed fetus at all cost.
If the baby is healthy enough, why should Mother Nature or the mother abort the baby no matter what the doctor says?

Theresa February 19 2014 at 3:34 PM

I am so happy for Rachel and Tyler! Alfie is truly blessed to have a Mom who wouldn't give up. When I became pregnant with my 7th child I was told at 14 weeks that I would come in the next appointment and my baby would be dead. (I knew this pain all too well as I had already lost 9 children in miscarriages) I had very little amniotic fluid, my baby wasn't growing, preclampsia and severe high blood presure. The doctors said my baby wouldn't make it to 20 wks and if it was born it would have sever learning disabilities. They pushed for me to terminate the pregnancy. I never gave up on my baby and went to a perinatal specialist. They said if they could get me to 24 weeks the baby would have a slim chance of living. I went on complete bed rest and drank 16oz of water every hour. By my next apointment (done weekly) the doctors said that by the new ultrasound they never would have known it was the same patient. My amniotic fluid increased! I made it to 38 weeks and had an emergency C-section. My baby girl was 3lbs 9oz and was in NICU for 2wks. She is a very strong little girl who rules this house and has no disabilities what so ever. She is the joy of our family's life!!!! Congratulations Rachel and Tyler, Premies are fighters and go far in life!!!!

hrtsease February 19 2014 at 10:25 AM

I am happy for her that she is the 1 in a million it was positive for. would everyone be cheering if the child had been born with little to no lungs and smothered everyday until it died? She made a choice it worked other women deserve the chance to choose for themselves too. right wing shut up, this worked because she DID have a choice

Brother Bob hrtsease February 19 2014 at 10:47 AM

It worked because Father God created the child and knew him in the mother's womb, and His purpose as with all creation is life. Even aborted babies, who were a living being and not given a choice because a wrong decision was made, are alive with Him.

southern_girl3 hrtsease February 19 2014 at 10:50 AM

No, hrtsease, we will not shut up, and we will not go away. We will not stop fighting for the unborn.

lunarlayni February 19 2014 at 4:17 PM

Rachel, I admire your strength. May God grant you every happiness thru motherhood, and only enough sorrow to show you the difference. Ignore shallow minded people like horsehallow. It's because of negative men like him that some women would rather be single!

majinraditzz February 19 2014 at 7:50 PM

A very touching story. While I do believe in the pro-choice way I admire her courage for going all the way and bringing little Alfie into the world. I was a miracle baby too. My mother had an ovarian cyst and after it was removed she was told she would only have a short window to have children. I came first and two brothers followed me in the proceeding years. Rest assured that little boy is going to be loved more then he can stand.

toneitup February 19 2014 at 11:54 AM

Doctors please .............

Mulberry Farm February 19 2014 at 9:52 AM

Thats the sweetest thing I've read about in awhile. I'm happy for you and thats a prime example of a mothers love for their child.

jmcdonald1013 February 19 2014 at 5:20 PM

Sweet advice....Health professionals are great but know far from everything.