Miracle baby born after mom advised to have abortion

Miracle Baby Born After Mom Advised To Have Abortion
A mother who was told to abort her baby because it would only have a 10% chance of living went against doctors advice and couldn't be happier.

Doctors warned 30-year-old Rachel Collins that her son, Alfie, had a very slim chance of survival when she was just 20 weeks pregnant because she wasn't producing enough amniotic fluid. They also said that if he did live, he would be born without kidneys or working lungs, but she decided to carry on with the pregnancy.

Ten weeks later, Alfie was born by emergency C-section without any health problems. Collins told Caters News Agency he was a little miracle. "He came out screaming – he defied them all...It was a nightmare pregnancy but every day he was hanging on was a blessing," she said.

She and her partner, Tyler O'Driscoll, had tried to have a child for years and when she found out she was pregnant with Alfie last April, she began keeping a day-to-day diary, detailing every good and bad moment. Now, she's overjoyed to be able to give that diary to Alfie someday.

njmember99 February 19 2014 at 11:45 AM

my mother's water broke in the second month and they told her the child would have Downs Syndrome. She continued with the pregnancy & I was delivered prematurely. I graduated in the top 1% at a great high school and top 1% at a major university and was a top manager in NYC at an early age. U just never know. My parents like to say that I turned out fine but my brother and sister just raise their eyebrows. haha

Irena njmember99 February 19 2014 at 12:01 PM

Annette February 19 2014 at 2:31 PM

Right, the doc told me both my life and baby's life was at stake-not true. Doctors think they know everything and they don't!

evelyon7 February 19 2014 at 3:10 PM

STOP DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT LIKE ALL CAPS. DR'S ARE HUMAN. YEARS PAST THEY FORGOT THAT BECAUSE WE WERE IN AWE OF WHAT THEY COULD DO. BUT THEY DO WONDERFUL THINGS ,SOME EVEN WITH PRAYERS. WHEN A PERSON ASKED GOD WHY THERE IS SO MUCH CANCER IN SO MANY PEOPLE AND WHY THERE ISN'T A CURE FOR CANCER AND OTHER DISEASES YET. GOD ANSWERED "I SENT THEM TO YOU TO CURE ALL OF THE CANCER AND OTHER DEISEASES BUT YOU ABORTED THEM" HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR BABY WILL WILL BE ABLE TO DO IF YOU DO NOT LET THE BABY LIVE??

Theresa February 19 2014 at 3:34 PM

I am so happy for Rachel and Tyler! Alfie is truly blessed to have a Mom who wouldn't give up. When I became pregnant with my 7th child I was told at 14 weeks that I would come in the next appointment and my baby would be dead. (I knew this pain all too well as I had already lost 9 children in miscarriages) I had very little amniotic fluid, my baby wasn't growing, preclampsia and severe high blood presure. The doctors said my baby wouldn't make it to 20 wks and if it was born it would have sever learning disabilities. They pushed for me to terminate the pregnancy. I never gave up on my baby and went to a perinatal specialist. They said if they could get me to 24 weeks the baby would have a slim chance of living. I went on complete bed rest and drank 16oz of water every hour. By my next apointment (done weekly) the doctors said that by the new ultrasound they never would have known it was the same patient. My amniotic fluid increased! I made it to 38 weeks and had an emergency C-section. My baby girl was 3lbs 9oz and was in NICU for 2wks. She is a very strong little girl who rules this house and has no disabilities what so ever. She is the joy of our family's life!!!! Congratulations Rachel and Tyler, Premies are fighters and go far in life!!!!

Beavis February 19 2014 at 10:26 AM

Despite the comments here to the contrary, obstetricians are not blood-thirsty ghouls who live only to encourage expectant mothers to abort. Rather, when a very serious problem or disorder with a fetus is discovered in utero, the only protection from lawsuit the doctor has is to recommend abortion. Everyone wants that miracle, and miracles like Alffie certainly do occur. But for every one Alffie are hundreds of babies born to parents who decided to ignore their doctor's warnings and hope for a miracle. Most are born profoundly disabled and require constant and skilled care for the rest of their lives. Faced with this reality, parents then sue on the grounds that the doctor didn't fully inform them of the severe disabilities the child would have. Mind you, most of these parents signed waivers stating that they understood the possible outcomes. When these cases went to trial, the parents almost always won. As tragic as it is, the only way doctors can completely protect themselves to is recommend abortion in the most severe cases. Everyone is entitled to make their own choice- but it is just that- a choice, not a gamble. You don't get to sue and claim you weren't properly informed when you gamble and your gamble doesn't go your way.

lunarlayni February 19 2014 at 4:17 PM

Rachel, I admire your strength. May God grant you every happiness thru motherhood, and only enough sorrow to show you the difference. Ignore shallow minded people like horsehallow. It's because of negative men like him that some women would rather be single!

majinraditzz February 19 2014 at 7:50 PM

A very touching story. While I do believe in the pro-choice way I admire her courage for going all the way and bringing little Alfie into the world. I was a miracle baby too. My mother had an ovarian cyst and after it was removed she was told she would only have a short window to have children. I came first and two brothers followed me in the proceeding years. Rest assured that little boy is going to be loved more then he can stand.

kimcrdr February 19 2014 at 4:44 PM

Congrats to you Rachel, and as far as little Alfie goes, I wish him nothing but the best in life, he defied the doctors odds, he will be able to do anything, Congrats!!!

Mulberry Farm February 19 2014 at 9:52 AM

Thats the sweetest thing I've read about in awhile. I'm happy for you and thats a prime example of a mothers love for their child.

jmcdonald1013 February 19 2014 at 5:20 PM

Sweet advice....Health professionals are great but know far from everything.