Deibold waxes lyrical after bronze medal

Deibold Wins Bronze In Snowboardcross

(Reuters) - Four years ago in Vancouver, Alex Deibold's job was waxing snowboards for his American team mates but on Tuesday at the Sochi Games he sailed past them all to win an Olympicbronze.

There were others on the team considered to have stronger medal chances in snowboard cross than the 27-year-old from New Haven, Connecticut but none of them made the final.

Deibold avoided the bumps, thumps and wipeouts on the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park course to place third in each of his four runs, the final one delivering an Olympic medal.

"I tried not to think too far ahead," a smiling Deibold told a news conference.

"It's the small things, the attention to detail. Even when I showed up this morning I never thought about the podium."

Deibold's Sochi success was rooted in his participation as a wax technician in Vancouver four years ago, where he prepared the boards of the Olympic riders.

"In 2010, I enjoyed the moment," he told a news conference. "But I certainly looked back on 2010 quite a bit, usually as motivation."

U.S. team leader Nate Holland watched Deibold's final run from the bottom of the slope and helped lift him in the air in celebration when he crossed the line third.

"He's been with the team since the early days. He's been working hard and he doesn't always get the results year in year out," said Holland.

"For Deibold to medal is a testament to how strong our team is, because any of us could have medalled."

Deibold appreciated the welcome he got from his better-known team mate.

"To have Nate tackle me at the bottom and hug me, and support me the way he did, that was a great moment," Deibold said.

"He's such a fierce competitor that you don't always see that out of him, and to have him lift me up like that was a pretty cool feeling."

The four years since Vancouver have contained plenty of hard work for Deibold, with serious hand and shoulder injuries thrown in for good measure.

And even when he battled his way to a place on the snowboard cross team, his waxing duties continued.

"It was tough watching my team mates not have to do it, but I enjoyed the process, because it's the hard work that got me here," he said.

"I'm going to enjoy not waxing my own snowboards for a little while."

(Edited by Peter Rutherford)

european44 February 18 2014 at 1:48 PM

I think we should congratulate all our athletes on their great performances in Sochi, medal winners and non medal winners you have represented the USA proudly,….

pyramidwc european44 February 18 2014 at 2:07 PM

All our athletes, and all the other competitors. I was leery at first, but I think Russia is doing a great job with the Olympics. It's been fun to watch and follow.

BARBARA February 18 2014 at 4:04 PM

He had the results when it counted!!!! Perhaps there are others on the team who could have won a medal due to their talent and experience, but this man won the medal!!! Holland sounded less than gracious and supportive. His words reflect sour grapes!

Rob February 18 2014 at 3:32 PM

WAY TO GO....USA USA

MADELAINE February 18 2014 at 3:24 PM

GOOD FOR U!!!...CONGRATS

Jean February 18 2014 at 2:37 PM

Remember?! "Wax on, Wax off" It is Alex's turn to shine! Congrats from Massachusetts!

hfrew1949 February 18 2014 at 2:02 PM

WAY TO GO,IT MIGHT HAVE TAKEN YEARS,BUT IN THE END WAS WELL WORTH IT,DON,T GIVE UP AND KEEP DREAMING!!!

boombyhead February 18 2014 at 2:00 PM

wtg America keep up the good work

Kenneth Richards February 18 2014 at 2:37 PM

BUT any of us didn't and Alex Deibold did. Scoreboard! Get over it Nate.

Pearl February 18 2014 at 5:34 PM

NBC does not have its act together, I, have seen only one medals ceremony, THEY ARE SO DISORGANIZED AND MISFIT THANB ANY STATION BEFORE THEM.

Kay February 18 2014 at 5:32 PM

I love watching the snowboard cross but I get so nervous for the contestants. Like the Americal lady who lost it so close to the finish. She should have had the gold and ended up with nothing. This really is a crazy sport and lots of fun to watch. Congrats to Deibold, can't wait to see in on TV. Heck, I don't think I could even stand on one of these boards for mor than three feet, if that much and they are racing and going over bumps and hills, doing jumps and turning on sharp curves! You have to be pretty co-ordinated to be able to do this event........for sure!