President Obama bemoans growing 'older and creakier'

Obama On Getting 'Older And Creakier'

(Reuters) - Like most Americans of a certain age, President Barack Obama is starting to complain about the aches and pains of getting older.

Obama told retired National Basketball Association star Charles Barkley in an interview that aired on Sunday that he was limiting his basketball playing to about once a month because "things happen."

"One is, you just get a little older and creakier. The second thing is, you've got to start thinking about elbows and you break your nose right before a State of the Union address," the 52-year-old president said in the interview broadcast on the TNT network before the NBA All-Star Game.

Discussing the aging process during an exchange about his signature healthcare reform law, Obama said that being past 50, "you wake up and something hurts and you don't know exactly what happened, right?"

Obama said he was enjoying watching his 12-year-old daughter, Sasha, play basketball.

When Barkley commented that he struggled watching his own daughter play because he wanted her "to be really, really good," Obama said: "I think it's a difference if you're a Hall of Famer. You probably have a higher standard than somebody who was a good high school player."

Jay McKay February 18 2014 at 4:14 AM

I thought that I was unique in that I have been able to shovel snow by hand. Being 66, I really believed that I was in very good shape. That has all changed this winter. The latest big snowfall in my area was 17 inches. When I tried to shovel the snow by hand, I realized that this was a feat that I could no longer perform. My wife had a hissy fit and demanded that I get a snow blower. What a rude awakining. Old age..I have arrived.

jrb359 Jay McKay February 18 2014 at 6:19 AM

But look at the alternative to getting older!

Betts February 17 2014 at 8:05 PM

Hey POTUS,

Man up and lighten up. I just turned 70. You learn to put that one foot forward and push on.

Old lady.

Robert Beuttler Betts February 17 2014 at 8:28 PM

Good going Betts, i am about to turn 73 and working my 40 hrs a week and flying fast and loud on my Harley, seems things are just getting better.

raymond brann February 17 2014 at 7:54 PM

I truly understand what you are saying. I myself will be 97 in April. At this point of age they do not identify me as Raymond Brann.
They call be the OLD Man

gggaloha raymond brann February 17 2014 at 8:19 PM

Congratulations, I hope you make it to a hundred +++

suedem200 February 18 2014 at 3:35 AM

I can't believe he's complaining about being 52! I'm 60, worked 30 years for a major telecomm co, retired at 48 & got a job stocking shelves nights to have days free to spend with my almost 85 year old father, cleaning his house, mowing his lawn & just helping out . I can work rings around most of the 20 somethings @ work & that's exactly why I can....I keep it moving, the more you move the easier it becomes. If you only do an activity once a month of course everything is going to hurt-it's not rocket science! Plus, if you keep moving it makes it harder for the vultures to land-hahahahaha!

georgettec28 suedem200 February 18 2014 at 5:44 AM

He's not complaining, he's just commenting about something that we all experience as we get older. You, on the other hand are complaining and whining.

suedem200 georgettec28 February 18 2014 at 6:39 AM

Sorry-didn't know I was complaining & whining-maybe if you read it again you will see that I was trying to make a valid point. If you keep active whether it's working, playing or helping others you'll feel better. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Flag +1 rate up
patriot1too February 19 2014 at 4:42 AM

America will be so much better off when this pretender of a president goes away and we can vote in a real leader. Not this socialist grand speech making basket ball playing vacationing manipulator. We would be better off when the obama family mess catchs the next bus back to the back alleys of Chicago. Go there and grow old obama.

tjones1120 February 18 2014 at 3:17 AM

Welcome to the door of old age....lol

English February 17 2014 at 9:13 PM

I wake up every morning and I find everything still works! -I was born in December 1928. -Go figure.

pam.holly English February 17 2014 at 9:24 PM

AWESOME!!!!!! Good genes? !

orbimike February 17 2014 at 8:01 PM

Cheer up it's going to get worse welcome to the Golden Years

Carl February 17 2014 at 10:04 PM

Aging is curable---it is all in out Genes --all the wasted research we do --could be put to use to increase age without the aging process--

Pat February 18 2014 at 2:49 AM

When I was 35 I went to my doctor to complain about an ache. He examined me and then said " What do you expect? Your life is half over." I laugh at that now, but it really got my goat at the time...