Mother of missing Memphis baby charged with murder

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - A body discovered in a ditch over the weekend is that of a 7-week-old baby who went missing more than five weeks ago, and the infant's mother has been charged with first-degree murder, Memphis Police said Monday.

The physical description and clothing on the body discovered Sunday in Millington, about a half-hour north of Memphis, matched that of Aniston Walker, who was reported missing Jan. 9, police said in a news release.

Mother Charged After Body Of Missing Baby Found In Ditch

Police did not say how the baby died. An autopsy was being conducted Monday.

The baby's mother, Andrea Walker, told police that Aniston disappeared after she left the baby at home with her 3-year-old child while taking her 5-year-old child to school.

Police said Walker called the child's father, who does not live at the same address, and he reported the baby missing. Walker then left the house again - leaving the 3-year-old alone in the house for an hour - as she traveled to several locations around the city.

Police Director Toney Armstrong said at the time that Walker was not as forthcoming with investigators as they could have wished.

Before Aniston's body was discovered, Walker had pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated child abuse or neglect. She was free on $250,000 bond before she turned herself in on Monday.

Calls to Walker's attorney were not immediately returned.

Back in January, police searched for the baby for three days with no results. Then on Sunday, a motorcyclist stopped on the side of the road in Millington saw the child's body in a ditch and called police.

"It is heartbreaking to confirm that an innocent child's life has been taken," Armstrong said in a statement, "but now family members of Aniston Walker can have closure and begin the healing process of losing a loved one."

Andrea Walker was charged with two counts: first-degree murder in the perpetration of a felony, to wit, aggravated child neglect or endangerment; and first-degree murder in the perpetration of a felony, to wit, aggravated child abuse.

Luz February 18 2014 at 10:27 AM

It's sad that a baby died because of her mother , she should give the baby back to the father or let
someone to adopt it. And my heart goes for the baby now his in heaven and to his family who love him.

lisaamcc February 17 2014 at 11:46 PM

Yeah I agree with you if you can't take care of the children you have already brought into the world then why should u be allowed to have more!

heart2survive February 18 2014 at 12:37 AM

Thinking of all the people waiting to adopt a child, being able to provide a better home..why in the hell would a woman kill her infant. What a horrific creature she is...evil to the core. Why not give the baby up for adoption and move on...I hope she gets the death penalty. Do I think I am premature in believing she did murder the tiny infant...nope. She did it, and why would a mother go off and leave an infant with a three yr old baby to watch over a baby. She deserves what she gets.

SpanishPrincess February 18 2014 at 12:43 AM

How in the world can a mother kill her children? Really!!! Why the hell didn't she tie her tubes or use protection if she can't keep her nasty ass legs closed?.... people are so evil. Babies did not ask to be here or be born. They are innocent creatures. Unbelievable I hope she gets everything she deserves heck if it was up to me I would see her burn..... That's my opinion. I love kids after all I have three of my own and now I'm a grandmother. They need to do something about that bcuz this is not the first time a mother has killed her off spring....

angelize7664 February 18 2014 at 12:44 AM

I had 3 children by the time I was 20 yrs old. I was managing until I got in an abusive relationship. Lost my job, had no money, I didn't eat but made sure my kids had food and formula for the babies. I was extremely depressed and then I lost my place to live. I was not going to subject my kids to a shelter, so I called the local CYS and told them my situation and that I would like to voluntarily put my children in foster care until I could get back on my feet. I had to jump through hoops and then some to get my children back, which is as it should be. I got my GED, got a steady job, and apartment and everything that the children needed. Started with just day visits one day on the weekend, moved up to overnights on the weekend. CYS was extremely involved, helped me find daycare, gave me all the information I needed to provide for my children. That was 30 years ago.

All this woman had to do was turn the children over to her local CYS and that poor little baby would be alive today.

I got a second chance to be a good Mom. She will never have another chance, and she shouldn't.

marticarn angelize7664 February 18 2014 at 1:22 AM

Thank you for sharing your story! God bless you!

SpanishPrincess February 18 2014 at 12:49 AM

Well I know about post partum depression my first child was colic and cried all day and night. He would make me cry bcuz I would try everything and he would not stop. I still did not kill him. Thank God he watch over us and help me thru it. Its not so easy being a mother but if you have the baby and feel overwhelmed heck!! ask for help or give the baby up for adoption to a loving family in need of a child... DONT KILL IT!!!!

marticarn February 18 2014 at 1:21 AM

Who would want to make babies with her? Did you see her mug shot? Looks like she is smiling! Leave me alone with her for 5 minutes! I hope she burns in hell! So many woman that can't have kids and mothers killing their babies! Selfish,careless, evil spawn!

lnikki223 marticarn February 18 2014 at 2:40 AM

Men will do anybody to get their kicks. These woman are lunatic's

antiquehunter112 February 18 2014 at 1:27 AM

kill her.

lnikki223 antiquehunter112 February 18 2014 at 2:42 AM

Dump her body in a ditch then. Let her rot!

Barbara Mayer February 18 2014 at 1:36 AM

This is such a sad story that keeps happening all over the country. If I were that mother, I would do anything to keep my children safe from all harm, including my own. Years ago, I had to give my two children to their father to raise because I could not afford to feed them or myself any more. That was probably the best decision I could have made under the circumstances and now they are grown with children of their own Both turned out to be the best parents ever and show their kids they love them daily. As a great grandmother now, I say give those children to someone who will love and care for them much better than you could ever do. What a shame that a baby had to die before anyone stepped up to take care of her children.

amyrosenberg Barbara Mayer February 18 2014 at 3:02 AM

It is possible that the baby was damaged in the womb. Some mothers drink alchahol and take drugs during pregnancy. This woman sounds like she does not care about anyone. Why would a man make such a woman pregnant? Condoms are available at the drug store for a reasonable price and free at planned parenthood.

pjv824 February 18 2014 at 7:18 AM

Hang her?

urr8up pjv824 February 18 2014 at 10:06 AM

I have some rope in the garage.