'Green Acres' actress Mary Grace Canfield dies

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) - Mary Grace Canfield, a veteran character actress who played handywoman Ralph Monroe on the television show "Green Acres," has died. She was 89.

Her daughter, Phoebe Alexiades, says Canfield died of lung cancer on Saturday at a hospice in the California coastal town of Santa Barbara.

Canfield had appearances on a number of TV shows during a four-decade career, including "General Hospital" and "The Hathaways." She was Harriet Kravitz on four episodes of the 1960s series "Bewitched."

But she was best known for her role of Ralph Monroe in some 40 episodes of "Green Acres," which ran from 1965 to 1971.

Monroe greeted folks in the town of Hootersville with a cheery "howdy doody," wore painters' overalls and was forever working on the Douglas family's bedroom with her brother, Alf.

pmayo80775 February 17 2014 at 10:35 PM

Rest in peace Mary Grace! You gave us lots of laughter and enjoyment over the years, and you truly will be missed. I still enjoy watching your reruns and always will.dear

GERONIMO February 17 2014 at 11:04 PM

Rest in peace Mary . You made a big impact on us Baby Boomers

nightdustr February 17 2014 at 11:05 PM

your the best and thanks for making my nights be for bed the bests hugs and may you fix all you need to up there in God's land
thanks Don

Rachel February 17 2014 at 11:12 PM

Awww "Angelica" from Pollyanna! RIP :(
What is it lately? Sooo many of the actors of my youth are passing away. I guess I should come to terms with it, the older I get the older they get. When on the Screen they will always be the same. I remember watching "The Wizard of OZ" when about 9yrs old(1989) & hearing my older siblings and father talking about Judy Garland being dead. I freaked out and said "WHAT SHE'S DEAD? SHE IS SO YOUNG!" that's when I was told that she was really a lot older when she passed away then she is in the movie. This was my first lesson in the reality that time doesn't stand still for the actors on the silver screen. I started to cry and mourn a women that died 10yrs before I was even born. Judy you will always be 17 to me.

abourge458 Rachel February 17 2014 at 11:35 PM

Tell me aout it...... Scares me to think that ALL the Brady kids are now over fifty!
( On Sunday re-runs on "ME TV" they are still children though)

nickersdacat February 17 2014 at 11:13 PM

Green Acres is the place to be...and now they are all together again.

ptdolphins February 17 2014 at 11:23 PM

If memory serves me correct. This will leave with only one living person left Tom Lester (Eb Dawson age 75).

kelleyphuphu February 17 2014 at 11:26 PM

I, too, enjoyed very much the episode of the Andy Griffith Show in which Mary Grace was Gomer's date. It will always be one of my favorites. Also watched Green Acres and enjoyed her character on that show as well. God Bless and Rest In Peace, Mary Grace.

aces kelleyphuphu February 17 2014 at 11:46 PM

she's nice real nice ... hey Andy 'you were right she's nice ' ' she's real nice....

hattie54 February 17 2014 at 11:31 PM

She was so funny, I'd crack up when she whined about Arnold the pig.I think the whole cast is gone now,hope they're having a great reunion up there.

renman103 hattie54 February 18 2014 at 1:34 AM

i think eb is still alive

bbrianrdavis February 17 2014 at 11:51 PM

I'll miss Mrs. Kravitz, the one with the extra long nose.

Sheila February 17 2014 at 11:56 PM

Best know for Green Acres yet they put a picture of her on Bewitched where she was only on 4 episodes. I will always remember Ralph and Alf trying to build that bedroom closet!