Woman reunites with 'the one that got away' 28 years later

Woman Reunites With Love Three Decades After They First Met
A woman has found the "one that got away" ... 28 years after first falling in love.

Kay Gibbs and Michael "Marty" Martinovic's relationship blossomed in 1980. Marty was in the military, stationed in Florida, and Kay Gibbs was a single mother not looking to get into a relationship. The two met one night at a club and started dating a week later.

Fast forward nine months: Marty was deployed for 15 months and the young couple broke up. Both would go on to marry and divorce.

Kay bought her own designer's consignment shop and started actively promoting the business on Facebook. One day, curiosity got the better of her and Kay searched Marty's name. It popped up and she sent him a message.

Now, 28 years after they first fell in love, Kay and Marty are happily married. Marty helps Kay run her consignment shop, and they spend each and every day together.

ordobtrebla February 18 2014 at 9:10 PM

Good Story...
Why isn't there a news channel that only reports nice happy stories...

namaste319 ordobtrebla February 18 2014 at 9:22 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/good-news/ :)

bettemail ordobtrebla February 18 2014 at 10:18 PM

I would love to have a TV show with just happy stuff. Half the problem today is by the time you are 30, you have heard so much negative info, hard to get happy happy.

Lorraine February 18 2014 at 1:12 PM

Same thing here, after 25 years. Happily married now for almost nine years!

m.burdick February 18 2014 at 1:03 PM

Jeff- IF you "cherished" her you'd MARRY her.....not just continue shacking-up, keeping her your *****!

jeffmadddogg February 18 2014 at 12:55 PM

the girl I am living with now have been together the last two years but the thing of it is we were together when we were in high school 44 years ago.

wlh1923 jeffmadddogg February 18 2014 at 1:21 PM

And you still call a 60 year old woman a "girl"? Does she refer to you as a "boy"?

jeffmadddogg wlh1923 February 18 2014 at 3:07 PM

sometimes I think in the past she is the woman of my life

Flag 0 rate up
doctoredit February 18 2014 at 12:51 PM

I have that fantasy in nearly every dream, but the women change bi-monthly.

Trish February 18 2014 at 12:42 PM

I would LOVE to find my one true love. I fell in love with him when I was 12 and never stoped loving him, he moved to Fla. and I couldn't move with him. I'm 67 and I still love him.

wlh1923 Trish February 18 2014 at 1:22 PM

Well, if its any consolation he's probably a toothless, bald, fat, troll now at age 67+

bf1213 February 18 2014 at 12:32 PM

How about 54 years ?
72 yrs ago, we went to kindergarten ...elementry and high school together. Then she got married moved away, raised a family, and I did the same, One day looking for familiar names on classmates, her name popped up. Fast foward, I got in touch with her after a gap of 54 years, and now we are happily togetherfor 4 years.

Jean Marie February 18 2014 at 12:12 PM

I could only hope that my Alabama boy left behind would still want me as I still think of him nearly every day. And that was 50 years ago. NICE story thanks

ccurt61 February 18 2014 at 12:11 PM

I did this too. The guy turned out to be an even bigger jerk than he was when I broke up with him the first time. Such is life.

joevans84405 February 18 2014 at 12:08 PM

Congrats!! But fyi, you are not the only one that has found "what got away 28 years ago". I too have reunited with my husband. We were married and divorced. Went our separate ways but always kept in touch. We have been back together for almost a year now and it doesn't seem like he even left. It seems so natural for him to be here.
Sometimes we marry when the time isn't right and love always finds away to reunite the soul mates that should be together.

tfgbird joevans84405 February 18 2014 at 12:34 PM

I love your story. I was in love with my college sweetheart many years ago and life then separated us. I have tried to reach out to just talk and be friends but he will not do so. He is married now and I would not want to do anything to upset that because I do still love him and would not want to upset his life in any way. I hope he is happy and will someday be my friend again. So many people do get back together after long periods of time and maybe someday he and I will be so lucky!