Nature 'sings' as frozen lake melts

Nature Sings as a Frozen Lake Slowly Melts

As Barbara Gwara was out running on her usual route around this lake in Poland, she heard some strange noises. Due to the warmer weather, the ice covering the frozen lake started to crack.

"It sounded amazing so I just sat down on a tree and listened to it,' Barbara said. "The quality of the sound in the video doesn't do justice to how beautiful it actually was."

In this video, it almost sounds like the lake is singing.

Have you ever heard anything like this?

kgc073 February 18 2014 at 10:36 AM

One time I went to help a Boy Scout leader with a camping trip. I heard a bird singing a beautiful song. I could not believe how beautiful it was and could not get enough. I was the only one to hear it because I was the first one awake. I have not heard it again and that was about 22 years ago.

rockermn February 18 2014 at 12:18 PM

Sounds fantastic, wish more people would take the time to listen to this kind of stuff.We would be better off,if we slowed down and enjoyed nature..

tcraw2000 February 18 2014 at 12:20 PM

I'm sure all Ice Fishermen have heard this noise and other noise's, frozen lake's make. You often hear loud cracking noises as the ice expands and contracts. You can usually see the cracks and on days when they are active you can sometimes see the crack actually running thru the ice at different speeds, just like if your car windshield was cracking. Weird ar first, but very cool after you get used to it.

JERRY February 18 2014 at 1:27 PM

A song from mother nature, what a privilege for a human.

spiritedgingerwoman February 18 2014 at 1:30 PM

It's nature's techno :)

Mary February 18 2014 at 1:39 PM

All the time. I live by a lake and hear it every winter. I've heard it mostly when it's very cold, not when it's melting. What's kind of eerie is when you're actually walking/skating out on the ice and it does it.

effinie Mary February 18 2014 at 1:57 PM

Can only imagine from what the video demonstrates. Something more to appreciate with the expansion and contraction of water as it melts/freezes in the winter cycle.

redorek February 18 2014 at 1:40 PM

It is ice cracking under water and possibly air bubbles. Yes I have heard it before in Alaska.

Jean February 18 2014 at 1:56 PM

On our ponds here in Va. when they are frozen, they will sing as the ice begins to crack, it truly is a plesant sound. Our first pond was an acre but we enlarged it in 1983 to 7 acres, but being so much bigger and not freezing like the smaller one did, we don't hear it near as much but I sure do miss it. It has frozen over quite a lot but nothing safe to be on, and it does occasionally sing. Mother Nature's beautiful voice.

ANTON February 18 2014 at 1:57 PM

A first for me, but then again since I was born and raised in Miami Fl. we never had any frozen lakes..
Sounds eerie, if you were out there camping alone at night and never heard it before it would be freaky...

paulvaleri February 18 2014 at 2:12 PM

Yes, I certainly hear that up at my camp on the Miramichi River in Canada, as the ice retrieves early to mid April.