John Travolta Says Scientologists Were With Him "Every Day" After Son's Death

Travolta Says Scientologists Were With Him

In a new interview, actor John Travolta reveals Scientology was the thing that helped him get through the death of his son Jett in 2009. He told The Telegraph members of the church were with him "every day" after his teenage son's death - even traveling with him. Travolta said, " ... for a solid two years it was like that. It was only in the second year that I started to take a break of a day or two just to see how I was doing on my own."

Travolta has made headlines in the past for reportedly revealing Jett did have autism - a disorder that Scientology has reportedly denied exists. But both Travolta and wife Kelly Preston maintain their support of the church - in 2011 she, too, credited it for helping her get through Jett's death.

hamcallk5co February 13 2014 at 4:45 PM

You can always bet that Scientology members will clamp on to the RICH and hold tight. It' is all about the money. The founder (L Ron Hubbard) of that phoney "church" told me way back in '59 that "the way to get very rich is to invent a religion for rich people" and then get out and sell it. You do not see the out there among the poor.

hamcallk5co hamcallk5co February 13 2014 at 4:46 PM

correction: "you do not see them out there.........etc."

chevsguy February 13 2014 at 4:33 PM

after he gave them millions! My mom gave hundreds of dollars to the Christian Science Church, when she passed away I couldn't get anyone to call me back on her behalf. Most of the Holly Houses built of brick and stone are just that and are only as good as the people that run them, and thats no religious experience!

Bob February 13 2014 at 4:31 PM

Those creeps just want his money, the are a big joke!!

paulsca138 February 13 2014 at 4:27 PM

Would Scientologist spent every day for two years if he was a carpenter or a school teacher???? Yes of course not!!

hattie54 February 13 2014 at 4:26 PM

I don't agree with that " cult " but if it helped them, good.Glad they have another son who is healthy.

ganderrrr February 13 2014 at 4:25 PM

Helpful hint.....It's not really a "church."

Zoe ganderrrr February 13 2014 at 4:32 PM

you're right - it's a cult.

Rita Anne February 13 2014 at 4:24 PM

Thomas and the other condescending commentators, have you ever lost a child? A child that needed you so strongly that you were there for them more than you might be if he/she didn't have special needs. Needing support from somebody you trust isn't spineless or weak, it is in fact taking care of yourself. I have close friends that have lost a child, both adult and adolescent 25-30 years ago. In a conversation, they will still tear up with sadness and loss. What do you believe should be the "right" amount of time to get over it?! You never get over it completely. Why attack his religious beliefs? I was raised Catholic but I respect individual choices and do not make judgment on their/others choices. John Travolta has given me many hours of enjoyment and entertainment. That is what I respect and like him for, his parenting and his entertainer skills. I believe he is a very loving human from watching and analyzing his behavior toward others.

Melanie Rita Anne February 13 2014 at 4:34 PM

There are no religious beliefs in Scientology. It is a cult. It's a money scam. Talk to anyone who managed to escape. And yes, I have lost a child. I did however recognize when she was diagnosed and tried treatments to cure her. She died, but we did get help. They did not.

ganderrrr February 13 2014 at 4:24 PM

I bet Travolta had to feed them for 2 years, too.

brandma6585 February 13 2014 at 4:24 PM

I guess people grieve in their own way - me- I would rather be alone with my own thoughts. Help from your religious affiliation when grieving is one thing - but every day for 2 years? A little over the top.

tesolcorinne February 13 2014 at 4:23 PM

Of course, they spent time with him. He gives a tremendous amount of money to them!!