AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Woman With Flu Dies 3 Weeks After Losing Unborn Baby

Woman With Flu Dies 3 Weeks After Losing Unborn Baby

An Arkansas woman who lost her unborn baby last month after contracting the H1N1 flu virus has died.

Twenty-nine-year-old Leslie Creekmore had been hospitalized first in Arkansas then transferred to St. Louis in mid-January, where a hospital spokesperson confirmed she had died Monday. (Via KMBC)

According to KSDK, just two days after she was moved to St. Louis, Creekmore suffered a miscarriage. She was only 20 weeks pregnant.

Her husband Chris took to Facebook Monday to express his grief. "She's gone now, and the universe itself is lesser for the loss... I loved her with every iota of my being and beyond, and I have no intention of that changing just because she isn't here with me corporeally."

But according to the Centers for Disease Control, both Creekmore's and her baby's lives could have been saved by simply getting a flu shot.

The CDC says on its website, "If you're pregnant, a flu shot is your best protection against serious illness from the flu ... The flu shot is safe to get at any time while you are pregnant, during any trimester."

But CNN reports Creekmore's doctor told her to postpone getting a flu shot until after her first trimester, so she and her husband decided to wait until she was further along in her pregnancy.

In fact, CNN adds Creekmore had planned on getting a shot at a clinic Jan. 13 - the same day she was hospitalized and put on a ventilator in Arkansas.

News of Creekmore's death comes just as the number of flu-related deaths in Arkansas continues to rise. KNWA reports, as of Wednesday, 41 people between the ages of 25 and 50 have died.

Health officials say life-threatening complications from the flu like in Creekmore's case are rare, but the flu is known to increase the risk of miscarriage and premature birth in pregnant women.

More From You

196 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
jalden4 February 13 2014 at 2:01 AM

H1N1 is swine flu... flu shots, from what I've heard before don't cover this one, but the general flu they 'anticipate' will be going around each season. If this is the case, how, exactly, would a standard flu shot help?

1 reply to jalden4's comment
madlyfem February 13 2014 at 3:42 AM

There is no such thing as "general flu". The year before each flu season, scientists go to China, the Philippines, and Australia to see what flu viruses are there. They look at how they spread, how many people have come down with them, and decide which of them are most likely to hit the U.S. They take samples of those viruses, bring them back to the U.S. and contract out the making of vaccine that covers those select viruses. Usually they hit the worst of the flu viruses that come through. You can't catch all of them, but the shot gives you a lot of protection. The more people who are covered, the lower is the chance that any one person will get sick.

H1N1 is very common, but it can be mild or it can be a virulent killer flu. Mercury used to be in all flu shots, but some people were sure that is was the cause of autism. There is no scientific evidence, but the government started taking it out and using a different product that was not objectionable. Now, people just have to ask for non mercury shots and they can get one, until it is all gone.

Killed viruses are used to make the vaccine, so you can't get flu from the shots. It takes two weeks before you get the full effect from the shot, but you get some effect as soon as you get the shot.

In our Summer before the flu season hit us, they look at what flu is in South America to see if they missed anything. If there is something bad, they start making vaccine to mix with what they already have. That is unusual but it has happened.

By September, the vaccine is ready and is being distributed. The companies often continue to make it if it is predicted to be a bad flu season, for those who are going to want a shot later in the season.

Viruses mutate every year just a little. The shot that took care of the Swine flu last year, won't take care of the swine flu this year. But if last year's swine flu comes around again, you are protected.

It is thought that the flu that killed millions during the First World War and after, probably had come through years before in a mild form, because it didn't seem to affect older people, who probably were exposed then. It killed the healthiest people, young men and women in the prime of life.

Namaste February 13 2014 at 1:45 AM

Why get a vaccine at all ? They have been proven to cause the problem they are suppose to stop from having. I have never had a vaccine and never been sick and I am 58. Every person I know who has had a vaccine gets sick. God gave us these beautiful bodies with an immune system that will keep us strong and healthy only if we keep our immune system strong and healthy. If one wishes to put crap into their bodies that brakes down our God given Temple (our body), so be it. I would never do that to our children and they have been very healthy and never sick.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to Namaste's comment
GARY February 13 2014 at 2:40 AM

Another person who is misinformed..... I guess children shouldn't get any vaccines either right.

madlyfem February 13 2014 at 3:54 AM

The vaccine is made with DEAD viruses. They cannot give you the virus. They are not vampires. If you come down with the flu, you didn't get your shot soon enough, or you got one of the viruses that wasn't covered. Bad luck. Usually chicken soup, water, bed, and sleep (with a waste basket by your bed to throw up into, and a clear passage to the toilet) will do the job. Oh, frozen dinner in the freezer in the winter is always a good idea.

You have the legal right to pray your diseases away, but you don't have the right to pray your children's diseases away. If your child gets sick, and doesn't respond to prayer in a reasonable time, or gets sicker, you MUST bring in a medical doctor to confer, and if she decides that your child needs medical intervention, your child must have that intervention. Most states now have laws to that effect, and if the child dies, because you did not call in a medical doctor or bring your child to an ER, you will go to prison.

Debra February 13 2014 at 1:03 AM

I have been afraid to get the shot because it has high levels of mercury in it but now I had no choice as I get the flu easy and pneumonia so many times so I have to have the pneumonia shot as well.. The flu shot does not prevent you from getting the flu but it keeps it from being so bad.. My heart goes out to the husband, not only loosing his wife but his baby too.. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family

2 replies to Debra's comment
Aizen February 13 2014 at 1:11 AM

madlyfem February 13 2014 at 4:01 AM

Ask for a shot without mercury. That is all you have to do. The shot DOES prevent you from getting the flu if you get it soon enough. You need two weeks before exposure for full coverage.

esthecurist1 February 13 2014 at 12:55 AM

Since I started getting a flu shot every year about 15 years ago I haven't gotten the flu. Everyone I know who did have the flu during that time hadn't gotten a shot. Where I work almost all 126 of us (except a couple of morons who think flu shots make you sick) got a shot this year (paid for by our company) and so far this winter the only people who missed work because of the flu were, you guessed it, those who didn't get a shot. So these circumstances inform my opinion that flu shots are very worthwhile.

On a side note, Chris and my cousin were roommates before Chris and Leslie married and this has hit us all very hard. I have no doubt that if Leslie had gotten a shot when she first asked about it she would still be with us and little Jera would be making her appearance in June as we had anticipated.

mattieblue February 13 2014 at 12:39 AM

there are so many strains of the flu, who knows which shot to take?
I choose not to have one, and I am diabetic. Diabetics are strongly urged to have the shot.
I eat at home, am not around little kids, and eat healthy. I have seen too many elder people get seriously ill from the shots, and are hospitalized. No Thanks.

1 reply to mattieblue's comment
s247247 February 13 2014 at 1:30 AM

As a child, got the measles from the shot (this is what my DR said). I stay away from all non required vaccinations because of that.

1 reply to s247247's comment
madlyfem February 13 2014 at 4:09 AM

Not all vaccines are the same. For instance, the Salk polio vaccine was made with a killed virus. He said he did not want a living virus to exist on the face of the earth. Dr. Sabin decided to use a live, but very weak virus. It was an oral vaccine which was easier to give. There were cases of mothers who were not vaccinated coming down with polio from changing the diapers of their babies. I agree with Dr. Salk.

I think since the flu shot is made with a dead virus, you might ask your doctor WHY you shouldn't have a flu shot. My mom was a diabetic, and her doctor insisted she had a flu shot, and called her and many of her other patients to make sure they did.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Suzy February 13 2014 at 12:09 AM

If it's safe to have a flu shot while a woman is pregnant, I wonder why douche doc told her to wait until the 2nd trimester?? They said it would be safe.

Bakers February 12 2014 at 11:56 PM

Most cases of the flu are not even caused by the influenza virus. Was the lady tested for influenza? There is a significant probability the vaccine would have made no difference.

1 reply to Bakers's comment
madlyfem February 13 2014 at 4:16 AM

That is the SAME as saying most cases of polio are not cause by the polio virus. Do you see how stupid that sounds? ALL cases of flu are cause by some flu virus. Human beings don't have puppies; they have human children. Our dog which had two litters, never gave birth to kittens. People who come down with the flu, were infected by a flu virus, not a measles or polio virus, or tuberculosis.

spotboyko February 12 2014 at 11:47 PM

67 never had vaccines of any kind and never had the flu etc. I believe getting the crap put in your veins you have a better chance of getting what they say it is preventing. I never had a polio vaccine yet two girls who lived two doors down from me both had the vaccine and both got polio! Dont tell me those pushing those poisons are safe. I dont believe it. My mother is 89 and she also never had any vaccines, she may have fallen and broken her hip but she is healthy other than that! Just another government scam to get rid of humans!

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
2 replies to spotboyko's comment
Darla and Simon February 13 2014 at 12:49 AM

You are right! Although our thoughts are not popular, they are the truth. There are too many strains of flu out there now, even though they put multiple types of viruses in the shot, the chances of you being exposed to those exact types are rare. I have never got a flu shot in my life (I only had the flu once as a child, never as an adult). My elderly parent's were always told by their doctor to get a flu shot (in WI) and every year, they both came down with the flu! Once my mother passed and my father moved to AZ to live with me, he didn't want a flu shot anymore, so he never got one again. Guess what? He never got the flu again, even at 92 and he was out among people a lot! You can put that crap in your body, but I will pass. The propaganda passed to the public by the Big Pharma can fool some people, but I know better. Read the ingredients in those vaccines; on products labels they tell you to go to the Poison Center if you take it, yet it becomes safe once it's put in vaccines or medications? I don't buy it.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
madlyfem February 13 2014 at 4:35 AM

How old are you, and when did this happen? I was born in 1945, and was 12 when I got my first polio shot; that was when they were first available in California. It was a set of three shots before we were covered. They told us we had to have all three, or the shot would be ineffective. There were two weeks in between each shot I think. Two years later, we had to have a booster shot. They really hurt.

Before that, we all waited for polio to come through. It didn't come to our town every year. One year they closed the public pool and all of the theaters. We were only permitted to play with the two children next door and our baby sitter who was older than we were, but she had polio before. She came to read to the children on our street; she was safe.

I was asleep but my sister heard the ambulance come for the little girl at the end of the block. A few months later, her parents put the house up for sale and they moved away.

It is safer to not have the shot if everyone around you has it. But in places where the people around them don't get polio shots, there have been serious outbreaks of polio with deaths. If I could get it, I would try to get the Salk vaccine, the shots. It is made with a dead virus and I believe it is safer. You might want to consider that. I've read that many people are going back to it, because they don't like the idea of harboring a live virus in their bodies. I agree. If it can be avoided, it should be.

jcrburns7 February 12 2014 at 11:12 PM

Comments read like a religion, believers vs non-believers. Hopefully the chatter will continue for a long time. The only way for it to end is if the CDC misses its guess on the next season's varieties and some virulent, renegade flu virus has a big run.

carla February 12 2014 at 10:36 PM

The flu has made its round at my job..The one thing we noticed was the ones that had the flu shot were much sicker and they had it longer than the ones that did not….

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down