nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Woman crowdfunds homeless man's ticket home

Woman Crowdfunds Homeless Man's Ticket Home
A thoughtful woman in London can now add 'philanthropist' to her resume after pulling off an incredible act of kindness.

Jenny Baker randomly met a 64-year-old homeless man named Michael one night while she was out in East London. When she got home she posted this message to crowdfunding site GoFundMe.com, explaining his story:

"He told me that he is 64 and came over to England with his mum for a better life. Unfortunately his mother passed away and he found himself homeless with no funds. He told me that all he wants more than anything in the world is to go back to Jamaica where he says he will be fine and happy again."

Baker's message spread across social media with the help of #GetMichaelHome on Twitter. She set the fund up on a Sunday with the goal of raising around $1,300 - and she raised it in ONE DAY. By the next week, donations had amounted to more than $14,000. She promised to give it all to Michael.

She tweeted that she tracked down Michael to relay the good news and use some of the money to set him up in a hostel with warm clothes and fresh toiletries.

Michael hasn't made it back to Jamaica yet. But Baker said she was meeting with the embassy this week for more advice on the best way to get him home and will use the funds to find Michael temporary accommodations until then.

More From You

212 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
noran7777 February 14 2014 at 9:15 AM

Jenny, I do not know how to use twitter but I a non-profit in Las Vegas and love to help us get the word out of our vision for a homeless hotel. I am under Trey Louis Noran on face book. We have 4000 followers and raising monies for our vision. Our website is Hislovestreetlasvegas.com and my email is noran7777@aol.com God bless!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
shulmjs February 13 2014 at 2:49 PM

JUST WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE HER..

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
1 reply to shulmjs's comment
kingofswords72 February 13 2014 at 9:59 PM

She'll spend most of the money on lawyers fees just trying to get him a passport.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
kwhodges February 13 2014 at 2:12 PM

Bravo to her. A bit of kindness is never wasted. I hope Michael is able to make it home to Jamaica and find happiness.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
daydayzee February 13 2014 at 11:01 AM

dang if Obama knew about him he would have sent him a ticket

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
luvcanarias7 February 13 2014 at 9:13 AM

one less, the British are fed up with illegals.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
shazam120 February 13 2014 at 8:39 AM

She looks Cute

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to shazam120's comment
deetora1 February 13 2014 at 1:33 PM

Better that he find another mum to live off of in Jamica

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
tcdesalvo February 13 2014 at 3:39 AM

Out of a good story a bit of sadness. A generous person takes up a cause to help another human being realize his dream of a happy life. Did she take the color of his skin into account when offering to help? None will know for certain, but that is not what is important in the story. He will go home and she will feel better about herself for helping a fellow human. Is that not enough? I see a man who is likely greatful someone took up his cause when all he has to offer in thanks is likely wet eyes, a smile and a hug. People, please stop driving wedges between us. I'd bet she didn't ask his religion before offering help. Did she ask if he was gay? I doubt it. My hat is off to her. Thank you for taking an interest in the life of another human being. Black or white, those of you who bring race to the discussion see a racist staring back at you from the mirror.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Barry Pearson February 13 2014 at 2:00 AM

I hope this is a true and meaningful story. I'd like to hear the ending of this
well meaning story in a few weeks to see what has transpired. I'd like to think
its real................

B. Pearson

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
Parker February 13 2014 at 1:43 AM

This story is wonderful. I like to think someone would reach out and help me in such a situation. God Bless the kindness of this young woman. I'm sure she'll get her reward one day....and I'm sure this old guy will forever be grateful.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
fb56cv February 13 2014 at 12:52 AM

Im an African American woman and thought it was very kind of her to help! And yes Im engaged to a white Man. Love comes in all colors and in many ways!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to fb56cv's comment
tcdesalvo February 13 2014 at 3:28 AM

When you can see your man as simply a man assigning no significance to the color of his skin, you will no longer be a racist.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
2 replies to tcdesalvo's comment
paintcharmer February 13 2014 at 1:58 PM

wow, the con artist will be lining up at your door. It's not a matter of race. Bet he will never go back to Jamacia. He is doing what he like s best. And the sucker's who sent in the money. it proves the old saying "There is a sucker born every minute"

Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
BARRY AND KATHY February 13 2014 at 3:38 PM

And you will no longer think your opinion is the only correct one. People don't go through life with blinders on.

Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down