AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Remembering Shirley Temple Black

Remembering Shirley Temple Black

Shirley Temple Black passed away at the age of 85 at her home in Woodside, Calif. on Monday, but her films will always live on in our hearts. The adorable, dimple-faced child star brought joy into audiences reeling from the Depression -- from 1935 to 1939, she was the most popular movie star in America. Black left Hollywood as a teenager, reinventing herself as a diplomat. Take a look back at some of the cutest moments from the little girl with the perfect ringlets above.

More From You

152 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Frederick John Mayes February 13 2014 at 5:16 AM

Mrs. Black was a tremendous woman even though she wasn't the real Shirley Temple. I believe that is an award for the actor Stephen john kennedy. Who was born Alexander Frances Coolidge. Well known as the 30th President. Phillis Black made 1 movie and then went into politics. Following her fathers foot steps in Business. She also hosted the Army academy and was a very good House of Representitive Member. She will be missed.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
VIPRLARES February 13 2014 at 4:59 AM

My favorite quote is "I'm not a kid, I'm a Girl and Today's my Birthday." Loved you Shirley, RIP.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Gloria Falzarano February 13 2014 at 2:05 AM

I remember that as a child I tried to emulate Shirley Temple. She was my idol and I wanted to be just like her. I still have my Shirley Temple doll and will not part with it. When I read the news about her death it was like losing an older sister (I am 81). Everyone loved her and looked forward to seeing her next movie. As a teenager she lost that childish charisma that brought her so much success. I was so sorry to know that her movie career was coming to an end. After she faded from the spotlight, I have wondered about her life as a wife and mother. Now hearing about her death, I feel I have lost someone who meant so much to me. Shirley, I have loved you for many years and I truly feel the loss of you in my world. Wish I could have known you better in your later years. I'll always love you and miss you!---------------------Gloria

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to Gloria Falzarano's comment
Karen February 13 2014 at 2:19 AM

Loved your post!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
moplay3 February 13 2014 at 3:22 AM

Yes I watched Shirley Temple as a child and she made my life seem not as bad as it really was. And saw saw her movie career change as she grow older and was on that awful thing television as she hosted a show about fairytales, But I also know that she was very well educated and went on to be a diplomat, not only for our country but it seemed to the world. She had beauty, grace, and the inteligence to keep her private life her own . More in Hollywood should learn from her.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
laverbo February 13 2014 at 1:59 AM

I also grew up watching this precocious child star. All of Shirley Temple's movies were up beat made us feel better after watching them even if we were not having a good day.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
gneutron February 13 2014 at 1:40 AM

I loved watching her movies growing up. She was a real sweetheart. I am only 54 and have 2 daughters that loved watching her too. I didn't follow her into her later years but remember her as that precious child in movies so many of us loved.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
bobmaller February 13 2014 at 1:33 AM

Hollywood knew how to make moves in the 1930's. They don't know how to make moves now.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
NITA GOKAL February 13 2014 at 12:40 AM

R.I.P Shirley Temple. You'll be missed by everyone. Thanks for all your movies and laughter.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
1 reply to NITA GOKAL's comment
steveb4848 February 13 2014 at 2:53 AM

Well almost everyone.... verdad6774del above isn't...... What a jackass!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
cincyburb01 February 13 2014 at 12:28 AM

Since Elizabeth Taylor died, I had incorrectly thought that all the big pre-1950 stars, except for Lauren Bacall, were now deceased. I had forgotten all about Shirley Temple. I can't think of anyone else left. Anyone??

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
3 replies to cincyburb01's comment
ROCCOXYZ February 13 2014 at 12:15 AM

Later on in life the homo community got her fired from orange juice commercials, because she said she believed in traditional normal marriage.

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
3 replies to ROCCOXYZ's comment
Sunny February 13 2014 at 12:05 AM

She was such a little cutie pie. A real little charmer. And she grew up to be a great and elegant lady. May you rest in peace sweet lady.

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down