Remembering Shirley Temple Black

Remembering Shirley Temple Black

Shirley Temple Black passed away at the age of 85 at her home in Woodside, Calif. on Monday, but her films will always live on in our hearts. The adorable, dimple-faced child star brought joy into audiences reeling from the Depression -- from 1935 to 1939, she was the most popular movie star in America. Black left Hollywood as a teenager, reinventing herself as a diplomat. Take a look back at some of the cutest moments from the little girl with the perfect ringlets above.

Gloria Falzarano February 13 2014 at 2:05 AM

I remember that as a child I tried to emulate Shirley Temple. She was my idol and I wanted to be just like her. I still have my Shirley Temple doll and will not part with it. When I read the news about her death it was like losing an older sister (I am 81). Everyone loved her and looked forward to seeing her next movie. As a teenager she lost that childish charisma that brought her so much success. I was so sorry to know that her movie career was coming to an end. After she faded from the spotlight, I have wondered about her life as a wife and mother. Now hearing about her death, I feel I have lost someone who meant so much to me. Shirley, I have loved you for many years and I truly feel the loss of you in my world. Wish I could have known you better in your later years. I'll always love you and miss you!---------------------Gloria

Karen Gloria Falzarano February 13 2014 at 2:19 AM

Loved your post!

moplay3 Gloria Falzarano February 13 2014 at 3:22 AM

Yes I watched Shirley Temple as a child and she made my life seem not as bad as it really was. And saw saw her movie career change as she grow older and was on that awful thing television as she hosted a show about fairytales, But I also know that she was very well educated and went on to be a diplomat, not only for our country but it seemed to the world. She had beauty, grace, and the inteligence to keep her private life her own . More in Hollywood should learn from her.

DoveLuvs February 12 2014 at 10:02 PM

AWWWWWWWWW I LOVED HER SO MUCH SHE WAS SO BEAUTIFUL, SHE WILL BE MISSED. Shirley Temple Black hope to see you in Heaven one day.

Vic February 12 2014 at 10:01 PM

She was definitely a once in a life time perfomer. To remember all her lines was amazing in it selve. She was beyond adorable. R.I.P. Shirley.

King & Di February 12 2014 at 9:44 PM

Aol should consider changing their name from America On Line to Ads On Line.. since you can't watch any video without their agrravating ads...

Isabel February 12 2014 at 9:21 PM

SHE LOOK LIKE DRESS A DOLL :) ADORABLE :)))

happy2bgridfree Isabel February 13 2014 at 2:55 AM

Hard to believe that there was actually a time when it was okay for children to dress like children.

angiedelaire February 12 2014 at 9:06 PM

Shirley Temple always makes me smile. She always made wonderful wholesome movies. Keep her memory alive by watching them with your children and grandchildren. Thanks Shirley! R.I.P.

Debbie February 12 2014 at 8:24 PM

She was one of the greatest US ambassadors of the past century up to current date. How is it we can lower the national flag to other entertainers and athletes who have not done as much for our country? I hope that all of the movie stations run a Shirley Temple marathon.

Hello, Mary Debbie February 12 2014 at 10:11 PM

You are so right .... the flag should be lowered.

suchgreatstuff1 February 12 2014 at 8:19 PM

I WAS 4 YEARS OLD WHEN SHIRLEY TEMPLE STARTED HER CAREER - HER MOVIES WERE ALL I WAS ALLOWED TO SEE - AND I REMEMBER MY MOTHER ROLLING MY HAIR AROUND A WOODEN POLE TO MAKE CURLS ( LIKE SHIRLEY TEMPLE ) - I THINK ALL THE LITTLE GIRLS HAD SHIRLEY TEMPLE CURLS IF MOMMIE HAD ANYTHING TO DO ABOUT IT. == I ALS REMEMBER EVERYONE PANNING HER WHEN SHE REACHED "TEEN" MOVIES AND THEY DIDN'T PAN OUT - BUT MY MEMORIES OF SHIRLEY TEMPLE ARE ALL GOOD . AS AN 81 YEAR OLD - SEEING HER PASS MAKES ME THINK ABOUT MY TIME - BUT I AM STILL STRONG AND HEALTHY AND LOOKING FORWARD TO LIVING SO I CAN SEE WILLARD SCOTT READ MY NAME ON THE TODAY SHOW. BY SHIRLEY - THANKS FOR THE GREAT MEMORIES.

b705frates February 12 2014 at 8:15 PM

We have lost the GREASTST American yet known. Her entire life of the highest level of publisity, highest level of humanity (wife, mother,grandmother,ambasator,) we should all learn from her life. Let her life be the measure we all should try to acheive. Thanks Shirley

Diana February 12 2014 at 7:52 PM

she was great anon saturday mornings..d fun to watch