nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Jason Alexander defends his very obvious toupee

'Late Late Show': Jason Alexander Defends His Terrible Toupee

Jason Alexander dropped by 'The Late Late Show',' and he wasn't alone. He had an alarmingly full head of hair that Craig Ferguson couldn't ignore.

'I travel with this occasionally,' Alexander joked. 'I do a stand-up comedy, a show called 'Jason Alexander ... An Evening With Jason Alexander and His Hair.' And, so, the hair has billing and an agent, and I had to wear it on your show.'

Ferguson complimented him, saying it totally looks like real hair.

'It's fantastic hair. It cost a bloody fortune,' Alexander said of his magical hairline.

The 'Seinfeld' star debuted the toupee about two years ago. He started balding at 17, but the older he got, the less he liked his receding hairline.

Gawker wondered: Why is Jason Alexander trying to pretend we don't all know he's bald? Jason shot to fame as George Costanza ... who was bald. Uproxx even launched a campaign to stop Jason's 'terrifying' fake hair.

He's opened up about the new 'do before, taking to Twitter in September 2011 to explain. 'The way my hair has receded in the last two years was best defined as dorky,' he wrote. 'I started balding at age 17 and after first being sad, I really embraced it. I was always cast older than my actual age which generally meant better roles.'

He then explained that 'what you see on my head is my really good, semi-permanent hairpiece. By semi-permanent I mean that I can wear it constantly for weeks at a time, if I so choose. I can swim, shower, work out -- whatever. It stays on.'

Still, the look doesn't go unnoticed, as evidenced by the focus in the Feb. 12th interview with Ferguson.

Though the comedian laughs it all off, he seems to dislikes the toupee-focused attention.

He took to Twitter during the interview to defend his purchased hair, writing:
Thanks for that interesting detail ... but we just want to understand what's happening on your head!

More From You

311 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
dryburf February 24 2014 at 3:06 PM

Kim Kardashian removes more hair from her face daily than Jason has in his toupee... he is an amazingly talented actor and should wear whatever he wants.. if you accept lady gaga the nut wearing steaks then why do you care when a normal person wears a toupee?

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
rha39 February 16 2014 at 3:41 AM

Many of the top male stars in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's wore hair pieces.
Many of the top women stars had boob jobs.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Brian Workman February 12 2014 at 11:21 PM

Brice Sander wears a Rug!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
rpthe1 February 12 2014 at 11:07 PM

If it makes him feel better about himself great! No ones business. Just leave him alone. Why are you people so much kinder to everyone else with a prosthetic?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to rpthe1's comment
BARRY AND KATHY February 13 2014 at 3:29 PM

Please, it's a hairpiece, not a prosthetic.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
JIM February 12 2014 at 11:04 PM

While I still have most of what God gave me, I say,"Go Jason". If you feel good about it, to heck with anyone who does not. Looks good, and the up side is that if you need to lose it, you can with out having to look like the makeup artist putting on the prostesis was a make up man for BOZO the clown.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
pennylaneprims February 12 2014 at 11:03 PM

Why should this matter to anyone? If it makes him feel better about the way he looks, great! I lost all my hair to chemo and believe me, a wig made me feel a LOT better about myself! Worry about yourself and not about how someone else looks!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
mount carmine February 12 2014 at 10:42 PM

I v e seen better looking heads on a beer

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
lr7331 February 12 2014 at 10:38 PM

LOV THE GUY HAIR OR NOT HE IS GREAT ,BESIDE WHO REALLY CARES
HE IS SO FUNNY AND A GREAT GUY

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
Mike & Jeannie February 12 2014 at 10:37 PM

I think most people like to look good. What one person thinks looks good might not look good to another. Some might cut a perfectly full healthy head of hair and then shave their heads because they think or feel it looks good. I hope he wears a wig because it makes him feel good and not because he wants to please everyone . Men who wear false teeth don't wear them just to eat? If he really just wants to impress people, he would talk about his money. Money is a common tool used to measure success, hair alone is not. I'm sure he can do whatever he likes. That's a great thing my friends!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
philboxer February 12 2014 at 10:35 PM

I have been wearing a hairpiece for 12 years, and I have never been "outed" once. Most of you would not believe how many men are wearing one. Don't forget- you only notice the bad ones.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to philboxer's comment
zephyr828 February 12 2014 at 10:39 PM

I am so sorry to tell you this Phil, but just because we don't say anything, doesn't mean we don't notice, we do. We're just polite and don't say anything. Sorry, but it's true. In fact, we were just discussing this in a group of friends the other evening. Of course the good ones are much better than the bad ones but even the best of them........ we know.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down