Abandoned by phony 'nuns,' woman seeks identity

Abandoned By Phony 'Nuns', Woman Seeks Identity

Malondya Holt was called 'Millie' as a baby, but that's the only information she has about her early years. She still doesn't know her real date of birth, PIX11 reports, and she was told her mother was called Lisa.

Holt was raised by her mother's friend, and when she was 16, that woman revaled that her biological mom had a connection to the phony bishop Devernon LeGrand. 'She would be a nun by morning and she would be a prostitute by night,' Holy said through tears. 'My natural mother left me with her friend, and she said 'I'll be right back!' and then she never came back.' Holt was less than a year old.

Holt reached out to PIX 11 News after watching the 'Secrets of the Sisterhood' series, which investigated reports that up to 23 people vanished from a single house in Brooklyn in the 1960's and 1970's.

The house was owned by self-styled bishop Devernon LeGrand. He sent women into the subways dressed as nuns to solicit money for his 'church.' LeGrand was later convicted of stomping two teen sisters and one of his wives to death. He was suspected of ordering many more murders. LeGrand died in prison in 2006.

Malondya Holt was told that in 1975, her biological mother left baby Malondya with a friend because the young mother feared her little girl would be snatched.

Holt said her mother was turning tricks and turning money over to one of LeGrand's sons.

'They wanted me for payment of what my mother owed,' Holt told PIX 11, quoting her mother's friend. When asked why her mother owed the LeGrands money, Holt responded, 'She was a working girl.'

Her mother's friend raised her and took good care of her, but Holt noticed at a young age that she looked nothing like her other siblings.

Over the years, stories emerged about her biological mother's fate. 'I heard they took her and a bunch of other women to a dude ranch that the LeGrands owned in upstate New York and killed a lot of these girls,' Holt recalled.

Having no valid birth certificate has made life difficult for Holt. When she was 16, she wanted to go on a high school field trip to Canada. It was impossible because she couldn't get a U.S. passport without a birth certificate. She thinks she's turning 40 in November. Five years ago, a woman at the DMV took mercy on her and issued her a driver's license.

Now, Holt is seeking information about any relatives who might have known her mother, Lisa, or her two siblings.

The mother of two is also dreaming of getting a passport so she can go on vacation with her own two daughtes.

"I want to go to the Bahamas," Holt said. "I got to get to the Bahamas."

And when asked her greatest hope, Holt responded, "To find out who I am ... who my mother was."

gramzca February 13 2014 at 3:41 PM

Go on a cruise, you can see the Bahamas and you don't need a passport. Good luck.

Storm gramzca February 13 2014 at 5:15 PM

Wrong again..you need a passport now to go to Canada Mexico or Bahamas period. YOu cannot leave the USA without a passport. I rakew cruises a lot and have gone out of the country for years without one but it started a few years back when Bush was in . We needed passports to get off the ship and get back on and to get backc in the USA,.

Laurie Long Storm February 13 2014 at 6:40 PM

not that it has anything to do with this story; but I am a travel agent - a passport is needed for air travel to/from the US, and border crossings by land. For cruising, as long as you are sailing from and returning to the same US port, you are able to use a certified copy of your birth certificate for this purpose.

Flag +1 rate up
kingofswords72 gramzca February 13 2014 at 8:56 PM

It's true, you don't need a passport to go to the Bahamas but you DO need one to get back in the U.S. Just try to get past TSA without a passport when re-entering the U.S. It used to be a piece of cake, not so much anymore.

JJ February 13 2014 at 4:26 PM

cannot imagine the pain of NOT knowing who you are or where you came from. May she find peace..

Storm JJ February 13 2014 at 5:20 PM

There are so many elderly people out there without one, I too have a live birth certificate and then when I was adopted I finally got one with a b irthdate on it, it isn;t easy and it bothers lots of people . I was never interested on who or why gave me up for adoption and never went looking.

VIPRLARES February 13 2014 at 2:08 PM

I hope she gets to meet her siblings someday.

Glen Whelpley February 13 2014 at 11:08 AM

De Vernon Le Grand was convicted of killing 2 hispanic females and was sent to prison who he used for prostitution. After he had the girls dismembered in a bathtub wich I believe was located in The Reverands 555 Brooklyn Ave residence , Holman a former morgue tech dumped the remains in a lake located in utstate NY - This was drained by Police and residue of bones was recovered. One of the witnesses against Reverand Le Grand was a "Nun" named Kathy along with Hollman - The reverand is survived by other "Le Grands" which were children and runaways who were taken in indoctinated and in many instances becgan a life of crime. It must be terrible for this woman to think or feel that she has such a background - But all that is past is what it is and with each day we begin a new -

rae2525 Glen Whelpley February 13 2014 at 2:32 PM

Yes each day is a new beginning but everyone have a need to know from whence they've come. People who were raised by their biological families take for granted their origins however adopted or in this case abandoned children don't have that luxury. Sadly many never get "who are my parents" question answered so they're left with a void in their lives.

Glen Whelpley February 13 2014 at 11:13 AM

I am not sure, but the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office successfully prosecuted the case against Rev. Le Grtand and may have some knowledge as to members or associates of the "Le Grand's. Perhaps this woman should req

jpeter1756 February 13 2014 at 1:02 PM

Start by checking your DNA done and then follow up on that information.

Mary February 13 2014 at 10:49 AM

Know the feeling. not sure of birthday , not sure of my father .

kwhodges February 13 2014 at 2:18 PM

I hope she finds her answers one day. Whatever faults her mother may have had, whatever bad decisions, I hope Ms. Holt remembers that her mother placed her with a loving, caring person who raised her when she didn't have to. She protected her child and that is the primary role of any parent. To the woman who took this child in and raised her as her own, thank you.

Claire February 13 2014 at 10:07 AM

I hope that there is someone out there that is able to help her.

LauraBethi Claire February 13 2014 at 10:48 AM

That was very kind of you Claire.

tabor2taber February 13 2014 at 8:30 AM

As someone once told me it is what it is and some things we can not change. I pray you find the answer's you are looking for and can find closure. You have grown up to be a amazing woman , wife, mother, and a friend to those who know you. You may or may not ever find the answer's you are looking for, and sometimes the questions are better left unanswered. I pray that every wish and dream comes true for you in your lifetime. One day you will make it to the Bahamas you so deserve it. Be sure to pack the camera and have a wonderful time. Don't pay any attention to all of the negative post here there are a lot of idiots in this world who simply have nothing better to do than show how stupid they are and they simply need to get a life and go away.
God Bless you.