nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Wire Fox Terrier wins 'Best In Show' at Westminster

(Reuters) - The wire fox terrier was named "best in show" at the prestigious 138th annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in New York on Tuesday night. Four group winners were named Monday, with three more on Tuesday.

* The win marks the 14th time the wire fox terrier has won best in show, more than any other breed since the show was first staged in 1877.

* A Portuguese water dog named Matisse won the working group for the second straight year.

Westminster Kennel Club Crowns 138th Best In Show

* An Irish water spaniel was named the best in the sporting group, the seventh time the breed has won the group.

* Monday's judging featured four groups - herding, non-sporting, toy and hound dogs.

* The herding group winner was a Cardigan Welsh corgi, out of 26 breeds in that group.

* The standard poodle was the non-sporting group winner, out of 20 breeds.

* The miniature pinscher was the toy group winner, besting 22 other dogs in the group.

* The bloodhound was Monday's first winner over 30 other breeds in the hound group.

* Overall, 190 breeds and varieties are entered in the competition taking place in Madison Square Garden and Piers 92 and 94 in Manhattan. There are three new breeds: the Portuguese podengo pequeno, the chinook and the rat terrier.

* Hosted by The Westminster Kennel Club, the show is the second-longest continuously held sporting event in the United States after the Kentucky Derby.

* The winner of the Best In Show competition and the owner receive a trophy and go on a media tour.

* Kelso, a 7-year-old border collie, won the first Masters Agility Championship at Westminster on Saturday night. The event was notable for the inclusion of mixed breeds, which are not included in the judged competition.

(Reporting by Marina Lopes; Editing by Marguerita Choy, Eric Walsh and Gunna Dickson)

More From You

301 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
GH February 12 2014 at 6:12 PM

Went to the Westminster dog show one year - it was really fun and interesting. Highly recommend going if you are in New York when it is being held. I thought the Corgi was super!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
tony February 12 2014 at 5:47 PM

If you had 10 judges, would they all pick the same dog as champion? Probably at least 5 different choices. Beautiful dogs but choosing a winner is too subjective.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
danrbas February 12 2014 at 5:39 PM

Good show! I thought the toy Miniature Pinscher should had won in the finals, but was glad to see the Wire Fox Terrier win as it was my second choice.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
bigred8690 February 12 2014 at 4:50 PM

To those of you puzzled by ctsturbine's post about his dog being killed, this was an incident in Anne Arundel county, Maryland, around Feb. 1 where a rookie cop shot a Chesapeake Bay retriever named Vern while investigating a possible burglary unrelated to the dog. RIP Vern ...

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
creese1028 February 12 2014 at 3:48 PM

I love the westminster dog show and I couldn't watch it because I didn't know what channel it was on. They just don.t show dog shows like they used to. Not enough advertising to say which channel it is on. I had a Newfoundland that I lost to cancer on the 7th of Oct. and I always want to see if a Newfie will win. My dog was ten and I must say that that was the best 10 yrs. of my life. I feel bad for the family whose dog was shot. I feel your pain. A piece of me went with my boy, I have no doubt Vern was one of your best kids. My grief is still present and shooting a dog would have been the most devastating. My thoughts and parayers are with you in your time of grief.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
2 replies to creese1028's comment
Ruth February 12 2014 at 4:44 PM

I agree with you. I have not missed the Westminster Dog show in over 20 Years, but I missed this year!! I live in S. Calif. and I can tell you I saw no ads stating when the show would be on and what channel. Very disappointed.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Marilyn February 12 2014 at 6:03 PM

I was on channel USA network, don't know where your at so cant say channel for you.hope that helped.love watching it also. go to it every year when it here in Michigan ( Detroit) at Cobo arena. haven't missed one in 40 years and they decided that they where not going to have it this year. stated there wasn't enough funding for it. boy will i miss it. have two cocker spaniels myself. beautiful dogs

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Carole February 12 2014 at 3:47 PM

I still remember the gorgeous wire-haired terrier, Lacy, handled by Jim Sullivan who won Best in Show some year ago. Sky deserved Best in Show-a magnificent dog.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
patdelb4 February 12 2014 at 3:45 PM

This is another POLITICAL joke.
Yes, if your not part of the in group and you talk about the wrong people or dogs you become part of the group that will not make the finals.
Been there and watched many of their decisions based on being part of the Political group.
Get rid of the Political part and this along with many things will be good.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
1 reply to patdelb4's comment
hellyon3too February 12 2014 at 4:33 PM

You sound like one of the people who has a less than great dog that doesn't get much attention, so you have to find someone else to blame instead of facing the fact that your dog isn't BIS quality.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
1 reply to hellyon3too's comment
Grace February 12 2014 at 6:04 PM

You know what Hellon3 There is a Lot of politics in any group of people I don't have a dog but I agree with patdelb4 , so don't be so snooty missy.

Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
cbs102642 February 12 2014 at 3:31 PM

A Portugese Water Dog won again? Wonder if it had anything to do with who owns 2 of them?

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
4 replies to cbs102642's comment
Willow February 12 2014 at 3:07 PM

I love Dogs and I declare them all Winners! Anyone who is a parent to any dog regardless of his or her type is a Winner! I have 4 GSD so I'm a big partial to them :) But we are all winners when it comes to our Boys and Girls!

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
1 reply to Willow's comment
Grace February 12 2014 at 6:06 PM

You are so Right Willow!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to Grace's comment
hellyon3too February 12 2014 at 10:23 PM

Grace, in reply to your accusations of me being snotty...maybe you should know a little bit about the situation before you cast aspersions on someone.

I've been showing dogs for 40 years. Of course there's some "politics" going on, especially at high level dog shows. However, you should scroll up and read patdelb4's comment again. It is not all politics, and the dogs that win deserve to win, as a general rule.

I've also heard the kvetching at ring side when someone's dog doesn't win. "I got dumped because So & So is part of the group and I'm not. It's all politics." But the truth is, the kvetchers dog just wasn't up to snuff. So & So had the better dog. There's a lot more kvetching going on than there is politics, and I've seen So & So's dog get dumped by a new, up and coming novice with an incredible pup on more than one occasion.

It really doesn't matter if you agree with patdelb4 or not, because he/she is exaggerating.

Next time you should refrain from being snotty yourself, missy.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
David S. February 12 2014 at 2:53 PM