AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Person Of Interest ID'd In 1975 Missing Sisters Cold Case

Person Of Interest ID'd In 1975 Missing Sisters Cold Case

Two sisters only 12 and 10-years-old vanished in 1975. Their disappearances and presumed deaths a complete mystery perhaps until now with police identifying a person of interest.

Sheila and Katherine Lyon disappeared nearly 40 years ago while walking to a nearby shopping center to look at Easter decorations, which touched off a massive manhunt.

"People reported seeing those girls with an older man who had a tape recorder and a brief case - that man, though, never found. Sources telling News 4 this new information has been developed by the cold case squad here in Montgomery County." (Via WRC-TV)

"Well, detectives now say they've developed a person of interest who is also convicted as a child sex offender and already behind bars." (Via WMAR)

Local media in Washington, DC report police believe the man they've identified was at the Wheaton Plaza Mall the day the Lyon sisters disappeared.

Over the years, family members slowly lost hope Sheila and Katherine were alive. Though they did release age progression photos and cold case database CharleyProject.org keeps a sketch of a possible suspect posted, the Lyon family placed a marker for the girls in a local cemetery.

WUSA pulled file video from 10 years ago when the Lyons' parents talked about wanting an end to the case and detectives promised to do so.

MARY LYON: "The brides that he didn't walk down the aisle, the grandchildren we didn't have, the sons-in-law we didn't have."
DETECTIVE: "This is a case that will remain active in our files until we know what happened to these girls." (Via WUSA)

Montgomery County Police scheduled a press conference shortly after noon Tuesday to release their findings, calling it the biggest break they've had in the case in quite some time. (Via Fox News)

More From You

127 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Katrina February 12 2014 at 12:14 PM

I grew up about 5miles from there in Rockville md and remember the girls disappearance well. By that time the innocence was really already lost. I remember my mother telling me to be very careful and aware of strangers. It seemed to me that the whole incident brought out a bunch of crazies to the area. I also remember the Bradford bishop disappearance around that time which has not been solved.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Carolyn February 12 2014 at 5:15 AM

What can one say? Pedophiles have families who must know (in advance of a tragedy) that he or she is a potential danger to children in the neighborhood. I realize that a person cannot be arrested before a crime is committed, but there should be files on them in local police precincts. Well, something must be done before children lose their lives to these very sick people.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
jones9northcalif February 12 2014 at 4:46 AM

It is just so cool that they are starting to find these bastards after all these years...

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Katrina February 12 2014 at 2:28 AM

If you're interested in this case go to web sleuths website you can everything you want to know about this cold case and then some

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Patrick the Man February 12 2014 at 1:46 AM

I hope that they catch this scumbag and find out what happened that day and what he did with those girls and may god watch out over them. Catch that pig and puy him away forever.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
golden trucking February 12 2014 at 1:14 AM

My sister & I were their age 40 years ago. We walked or rode our bikes everywhere. We would be outside for hours. At that time it was very rare to hear of children disappearing. & we grew up in the burbs of Los Angeles . You can't fault the parents. To the a holes who write stupid comments, they just want attention. Don't give them the satisfaction by responding. They don't mean it anyway.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to golden trucking's comment
mcager February 12 2014 at 2:24 AM

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. Sadly, those days are gone forever.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
JOHN, NOT YOU February 12 2014 at 3:09 AM

45 years ago myself and sister, their same ages used to walk 1.5 miles to local swimming pool. Her in a little bathing suit and me in trunks both bare footed. Next to a moderately heavily traveled road once we got out of our sub-division. No way now a days.Too many perverts and weirdos. She would have been snacthed up and gone.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
will2dmax February 12 2014 at 1:02 AM

Put the screws to this jackass and tell us where the bodies are,I'd get it out of him..you wouldn't have to worry about that...

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
moose February 11 2014 at 11:07 PM

All the more reason to Eliminate these predators completely from society. Place them in one of the many laboratory experiments (removing the innocent animals), then once the laboratories are done with them, just eliminate them by hanging. Once this society gets off it's azz and decides enough is enough and ELIMINATE all of these predators, then we should have a safer society. Stop placing them in prison only to release them to repeat these crimes. These criminal SHOULD NOT get any other chance once they commit such hainess crimes.

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down
PAM February 11 2014 at 10:58 PM

Poor babies, poor family. My brother was missing for 2 weeks before they found his body due to a random act of violence and it was the worse 2 weeks of my life, not knowing is worse than knowing. At least u have someone to bury and pray over. Omg I can't imagine what I would have done if my brother was never found and it was 40 years. I would not been able to live thru it. Please I hope this poor family finds some closure.

Reply Flag as Abusive +7 rate up rate down
1 reply to PAM's comment
cafebeege February 11 2014 at 11:32 PM

As a mother, I think worrying about your vulnerable, innocent children is even worse because of the maternal thing. These parents have been through a life time of hell. We MUST clean up the streets of these psychopaths !!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
1 reply to cafebeege's comment
rjwbrook February 12 2014 at 3:09 AM

Most abusers are family members, especially the parents.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
userkn2586 February 11 2014 at 10:49 PM

I wish they had said who the person of interest is.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
2 replies to userkn2586's comment
Richard February 11 2014 at 11:09 PM

Why. Would a random name help you with the story? Since he was described as an 'older man' one can assume it was a random act and the worst happened. The suspect is serving time in jail. It still does not state 'he' is the kidnapper and possible murderer................

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
TerryLee Jackson February 12 2014 at 12:47 AM

Release the name and then it turns out not to be that person? Then no matter how many times the authorities say he/she is innocent, there would be some people that would always believe he/she did it and the person is convicted without a trial

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down