NJ festival lets you eat, drink, floss with bacon

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - Get ready for bacon like you've never eaten, drank or worn it before.

Bacon milkshakes. Chocolate-covered bacon shaped like roses. Bacon-flavored toothpaste, dental floss and lip balm.

Bacon bourbon, margaritas, beer and vodka. Bacon ice cream sundaes. A BLT sandwich with a full pound of bacon.

They're all on the menu this week as one Atlantic City casino stretches the bounds of good taste and cardiovascular health with Bacon Week. The festival at the Tropicana Casino and Resort gives new meaning to the term "pigging out."

The idea of a bacon festival is not as far-fetched as it might sound. Americans eat about 1.5 billion pounds of bacon a year, according to the National Pork Board. And the website bacontoday.com counted nearly 30 bacon festivals around the country from late April through December 2013, many of whose tickets sold out in minutes.

"Bacon is like heaven," said Nadina Fornia, of Egg Harbor Township. "If you're going to die, die with bacon on your lips and a BLT in each hand."

She was drawn to the casino Monday by the promise of bacon in far-out forms, including milkshakes and beer (not in the same glass, thankfully.) She also heard about the bacon-infused vodka.

"That is my quest today," she said.

Fornia tried a bacon bloody Mary mixed with a smoky bacon beer. Despite the overwhelming salty taste and the small strip of bacon floating in the glass, it tasted mostly like sharp tomato juice, she said.

Nearby were chocolate covered pretzels with crumbled bacon bits; chocolate-drizzled potato chips with bacon, two kinds of pasta dishes with bacon, bacon cupcakes, and bacon wrapped around a fake green stem to form roses, which were then dipped in chocolate.

"The first taste is chocolatey, then it's all bacon," said Melissa Ehrke, of Egg Harbor Township. "I was a little surprised I liked it, 'cause I was afraid to try it. It's that whole sweet and salty thing."

New Jersey Celebrates 'Bacon Week'

While bacon-flavored grooming items are sold at festivals around the nation, they were encountering some skepticism at the Tropicana this week.

"There are people that are just crazy for bacon," said Denise McGrath, of Neptune City. "But bacon toothpaste or floss? I'm not that crazy."

James Sanders from New York City was in heaven trying as many free samples of bacon-flavored items as he could get his hands on.

"I love me some bacon!" he exclaimed between bites of ... something. "I don't even know what this is, but it's got bacon in it. And it's good!"

Sanders said eating bacon is a multi-layered experience.

"You keep chewing it and chewing it, and the flavor comes out the more you chew on it," he said. "And then you get to the fat and that floods into your mouth. I just love it."

Carrie Jorgenson and her husband, Mike, were downing the bacon bloody Mary beer concoctions, while channeling celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse.

"I love pork. All things pork," she said. "That's what Emeril used to say, that pork fat rules, and it does."

revelationmaster February 11 2014 at 5:55 AM

Call an ambulance. You can almost smell the heart attacks.

jtdancernh February 11 2014 at 11:32 AM

So, ummm...just out of curiosity, where are all the dumb@$$ Christians and why aren't they railing against all those pork-eating abominations against God?

After all, the Bible tells us it's an abomination to eat or even touch the skin of a swine (which puts eating bacon and playing football in the same boat with homosexuality in the eyes of God), does it not? So where's all that "Christian outrage?

Guess they're all too busy bashing the gays to bother with anyone else's "sins"...

Hello Joe jtdancernh February 11 2014 at 11:41 AM

You lack alot in knowledge of Christians, God cleansed what once was considered unclean in the new testament, he opened up all types of food for consumption. Your bitterness is as nasty as bashing gays and your attack is really stupid considering that your wrong in what you say.

Grandmalovie Hello Joe February 11 2014 at 3:55 PM

High 5 Joe!!!

Flag 0 rate up
Grandmalovie jtdancernh February 11 2014 at 3:53 PM

I'm a Christian and I don't JUDGE anyone it's not my place only GOD's. Oh and by the way I like BACON!! It's not your place to JUDGE anyone. Oh one more thing I aka Christian don't JUDGE gays you did!!

JIM February 11 2014 at 11:22 AM

I love my bacon and eggs and my b.l.t.s, and even bacon cheezeburgers but you all atre going too far.

charliemoney3 February 11 2014 at 11:09 AM

Come'On, you SOB Propagandist(s)...Not all Americans are Pig-Eating -Porkers !

charliemoney3 February 11 2014 at 10:50 AM

Yea, Wisconsin is known for Cheese, Texas for Beef and New Jersey for Pork !

chckpope February 11 2014 at 10:21 AM

Too much of anything isn't good for you. Even bacon, one good thing though, they won't be serving any Muslims.

The Canoli King February 11 2014 at 9:36 AM

I Love Atlantic City,I was never dissappointed in any of my meals there. My favorite meal is breakfast, I would always order two eggs,Extra Crispy Bacon,and extra Crispy Fries,and a bottomless cup of coffee,and throw in a couple of pieces of whole wheat bread,butter,and strawberry jam,and I'm set for a beautiful day in Atlantic City's ShowBoat. I miss their Up stairs restaurant ,The Mansion",it was a place to go and have a relaxed meal,all the time,but like everything else ,it fell by the wayside,albeit,I love the House of Blues,and they are cutting back their Hours,and menu. OOPS,I got carried away....I LOVE BACON,anytime ,anywhere,also Scallops wrapped in bacon is a nice seafood treat.

jerzfox February 11 2014 at 8:29 AM

It's a Baconalia!

sherrytop February 11 2014 at 8:28 AM

love bacon ,just not the best if you have heart issues duh!!!!

vocalist February 11 2014 at 7:56 AM

No WONDER middle easterners are so irate...the muslims and the jews can't eat bacon!

lsrm240 vocalist February 11 2014 at 8:06 AM

we answer to a higher authority not some pig

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal