NBC'S Tom Brokaw diagnosed with cancer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- NBC News says veteran newsman Tom Brokaw has cancer.

The network says Brokaw was diagnosed in August with multiple myeloma, a cancer affecting blood cells in the bone marrow. Doctors are optimistic about his treatment.

Former Anchorman Tom Brokaw Has Cancer

In a statement released by NBC, Brokaw says he remains the luckiest guy he knows, and he looks forward to continuing his life and his work. He says he wants to keep his illness a private matter.

Brokaw turned 72 on Feb. 6.

The onetime national news anchor is a special NBC News correspondent, and NBC says he has continued to work on projects during his treatment.

jonniejk February 12 2014 at 1:22 AM

When I was 68, I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma & Amyloidosis (3.5 years ago). Went to M.D. Anderson in Houston, TX and had aggressive treatment (chemo and stem cell transplant, my own cells). Been in remission for quite a while. My latest checkup (have them every 4 months) showed that I'm doing great. Eat as good as you can, exercise, get plenty of rest and keep a positive attitude. A good treatment center makes a lot of difference and don't under estimate the importance of having good support from friends and family. You can beat this, Tom!!

w12840 February 12 2014 at 10:54 AM

I agree it is no ones business as to Brokaw's insurance. It is also none of silentsec's business if Sully reads the bible. He sounds like a true athiest. To each his own. The article was on Brokaw's cancer,and I can only wish Tom well. He is a great reporter.

gator February 12 2014 at 11:03 AM

Unfortunately, cancer knows no boundries! It affects whomever, whenever and we live with the consquences. Tom Brokaw was and is an amazing news anchor and correspondent. I commend NBC for allowing him to work through the treatments. Being busy and having something to work toward is an amazing thing when it comes to healing. I wish you the very best Mr. Brokaw. God Bless!

flobamaguynow February 12 2014 at 11:08 AM

GOD BLESS HIM

hgbratcher February 12 2014 at 11:11 AM

NOT LETTING US HEAR ABOUT YOU, HOW CAN WE PRAY FOR YOU? YOUR IN MY PRAYERS FROM THIS WRITING ON,....GOT IS GREAT AND POWERFUL....LIL-ORLANDO, FLORIDA

jvmcfla@aim.com February 12 2014 at 11:11 AM

I always liked to watch him on television! I liked his voice, his deliverance of the news! I am sorry to hear that he has cancer! I hope and pray that he will beat it and be cancer free to enjoy his life after his long career!

bcrnbs2 February 12 2014 at 11:18 AM

use the force tom, use the force

Bill February 12 2014 at 11:19 AM

mile.shu - Spare us your marketing crap. It's highly inappropriate. Take your pitch somewhere else.

Barbara February 12 2014 at 11:27 AM

God Bless You. Know what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.

myste98325 February 12 2014 at 11:36 AM

May the GOD LORD place a healing hand on you Tom.GB you and your family and the Dr's, please remind them that GOD has the final word:)

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal