Bob Costas' eyeball goes viral

With both eyes reddened by an infection, NBC's Bob Costas said he will sit out the network's prime-time Olympics coverage on Tuesday. Taking his place in Sochi will be "Today" anchor Matt Lauer.

Costas has been wearing glasses since the start of the Sochi Olympics because of an infection in his left eye. On Monday's broadcast, it was apparent the infection had spread to his other eye. It quickly became the topic of conversation on social media and sports talk radio.

Bob Costas' Pink Eye Has Spread

No one else has anchored a prime-time summer or winter Olympic broadcast in the U.S. since 1998, when CBS had the rights to broadcast the games.

Costas called in to the "Today" show Tuesday to talk to Lauer and said, if anything, his eyes had gotten worse.

"I was trying to throw a complete game here, but I think we're going to have to go to the bullpen, and I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but you're Mariano Rivera, at least tonight," Costas said. "Let's hope it's only tonight. I'm walking around, I might as well be playing 'Marco Polo.' I have no idea where I am."

On NBC's late-night telecast, he shared a vodka toast with correspondent Mary Carillo and said, "I'm looking at it this way ... my eyes can't get any redder.

bingoladyppp February 11 2014 at 10:53 AM

If my eyes were bothering me as much as his are bothering him I would be on the first plane back to get the situation taken care of and leave the "reporting?" to someone else. Your eyes are more important than any job at least that is my opinion

perkincm February 11 2014 at 11:37 AM

The first thing Costas uttered at the start of the Olympic coverage was an apology for wearing glasses. Who cares whether he wears glasses or not? Hope his eye(s) gets better, but he should take more than one night off and consider getting a vanity transplant. Now we get Matt Lauer who spends most mornings on the Today Show acting like he is in 7th grade. Get your act together NBC.

nomini3 February 11 2014 at 11:41 AM

Having whatever it is in Bob's eyes is no laughing matter and likely very uncomfortable.......hope he gets the right treatment and his eyes are improved. We wish him well.....

kwhodges February 11 2014 at 8:03 PM

geez louise folks....molehill? mountain? i've seen murders get less press than this poor man's eye infection.

billcdaly February 11 2014 at 7:01 PM

Considering Costas and his penchant for making political statements ( this time about gays and Russian law) I wonder if they put something in his water?

Dr.Dave February 11 2014 at 11:47 AM

For God's sake, don't they have some physicians over there. Give this poor guy some prednisolone eye drops along with the antibiotics they are likely using so he can see and get back to work.

Dr. S

morris1030 Dr.Dave February 11 2014 at 12:00 PM

Who knows what kind of eye docs they have at Sochi? Even with Pred,anti biotics, this is a nasty infection and takes a week or more to resolve. I've had it and it's wildly infectious. He propably can hardly see and this is painful.

rosenth702 February 11 2014 at 11:47 AM

Good by.

santalmcupcake February 11 2014 at 11:48 AM

Why wouldn't he be replaced at the first sight of infection? I don't want to see your nasty bacteria eyeball on my tv screen….in HD.

gardengirl762 February 11 2014 at 6:39 PM

As a nurse, I am concerned about a person, no matter who he/she is. His eye should have cleared up by now, not gotten worse and spread! What kind of weird bacteria did he pick up over there that it is not responding to treatment? I just hope he doesn't end up with permanent damage.

lizrtedcr gardengirl762 February 11 2014 at 7:07 PM

I would hazard a guess that Bob was already infected even before he left the U.S. or he contracted the condition on the flight. I once had Lyme's Disease which surfaced after a side trip I took to India, en route from NY to my base in Hong Kong. Everyone was pointing the finger to India until it was disclosed that the condition was picked up during my home leave in NY! Nothing is straight-forward!

kindamara lizrtedcr February 11 2014 at 7:15 PM

Totally agree with you. He probably did have it when he left the US. I believe it takes awhile for pinkeye to manifest itself. He's probably rubbing his eyes and he infected the other eye. Where are the NBC doctors? I would think NBC would have sent a troupe of medical people to care for their "crack reporters".

Flag +1 rate up
Elizabeth gardengirl762 February 11 2014 at 8:39 PM

my brother had the same thing a few years back, both his eyes were really really red and his baby wouldn't even look at him. He had it for about two weeks.

bob February 11 2014 at 11:51 AM

Maybe it's not pinkeye!!!