Bob Costas' eyeball goes viral

With both eyes reddened by an infection, NBC's Bob Costas said he will sit out the network's prime-time Olympics coverage on Tuesday. Taking his place in Sochi will be "Today" anchor Matt Lauer.

Costas has been wearing glasses since the start of the Sochi Olympics because of an infection in his left eye. On Monday's broadcast, it was apparent the infection had spread to his other eye. It quickly became the topic of conversation on social media and sports talk radio.

Bob Costas' Pink Eye Has Spread

No one else has anchored a prime-time summer or winter Olympic broadcast in the U.S. since 1998, when CBS had the rights to broadcast the games.

Costas called in to the "Today" show Tuesday to talk to Lauer and said, if anything, his eyes had gotten worse.

"I was trying to throw a complete game here, but I think we're going to have to go to the bullpen, and I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but you're Mariano Rivera, at least tonight," Costas said. "Let's hope it's only tonight. I'm walking around, I might as well be playing 'Marco Polo.' I have no idea where I am."

On NBC's late-night telecast, he shared a vodka toast with correspondent Mary Carillo and said, "I'm looking at it this way ... my eyes can't get any redder.

mauserk February 11 2014 at 2:10 PM

I had pink eye several years ago. It started in one eye and sure enough spread to the other eye. I needed steriod drops and it finally cleared up. It took a couple weeks to clear up.

texmexfm February 11 2014 at 10:10 PM

bad things happen to bad people, Costas is not a nice person so Bob, this is Karma biting you in the a$$, no wait the eye.

Buddy February 11 2014 at 5:03 PM

It is ironic and comical at the same time. He praises a communist who has killed possibly thousands including journalists and his eye goes pink.

misbhavenz February 11 2014 at 1:06 PM

Uh...he needs to visit an ophthalmologist, hopefully he already has.

Sarah misbhavenz February 11 2014 at 1:26 PM

With it spreading so quickly sure seems like Conjunctivitis, misbhavenz - hope the Network disinfects all he has touched as that stuff is highly contagious!!!!!!! But treatable & hope it's no more serious than that!

John Kranig February 11 2014 at 1:04 PM

!!!!Bob - be sure you don't have iritis which is much more serious than pink eye. It is an inflammation of the iris and can lead to loss of eyesight. It is treated with steroid eye drops and pills. I had it several years ago and my doctor thought it was pink eye until I went to an ophthalmologist who correctly diagnosed it as iritis and saved my eye with proper medication.

Barry Gomes February 11 2014 at 11:09 AM

I see anti gun rant by Costas has some folks riled up and i get it.It's not the guns it's the person who used them for the wrong reasons that needs help/incarceration. We have a mental health problem in this country that no one seems to care about.Why? I would think any expense to help/house these poor folks has got to be better than not. Too many of these folks endup in jail where no one is helped and the the problem just keeps getting worse.Instead of the low hanging fruit of gun control/confiscation lets deal with the real reasons gangs,despair and mental health.

madkono February 11 2014 at 11:09 AM

maybe he should come up with a new "pivital experiment"!!!

bambi4318.barbara February 11 2014 at 12:53 PM

If that is "pink eye", that is very contagious and in most cases spreads to the other eye; it is also painful.

Mike February 11 2014 at 11:11 AM

He needs cheap sunglasses at night?

morine44 February 11 2014 at 9:16 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! NOT MATT LAUER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

GEN morine44 February 11 2014 at 9:19 PM

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY...HATE THAT GUY

Char morine44 February 11 2014 at 9:43 PM

Feel the same way!!!!!!!!!!

World Series