AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Bob Costas' eyeball goes viral

With both eyes reddened by an infection, NBC's Bob Costas said he will sit out the network's prime-time Olympics coverage on Tuesday. Taking his place in Sochi will be "Today" anchor Matt Lauer.

Costas has been wearing glasses since the start of the Sochi Olympics because of an infection in his left eye. On Monday's broadcast, it was apparent the infection had spread to his other eye. It quickly became the topic of conversation on social media and sports talk radio.

Bob Costas' Pink Eye Has Spread

No one else has anchored a prime-time summer or winter Olympic broadcast in the U.S. since 1998, when CBS had the rights to broadcast the games.

Costas called in to the "Today" show Tuesday to talk to Lauer and said, if anything, his eyes had gotten worse.

"I was trying to throw a complete game here, but I think we're going to have to go to the bullpen, and I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but you're Mariano Rivera, at least tonight," Costas said. "Let's hope it's only tonight. I'm walking around, I might as well be playing 'Marco Polo.' I have no idea where I am."

On NBC's late-night telecast, he shared a vodka toast with correspondent Mary Carillo and said, "I'm looking at it this way ... my eyes can't get any redder.

More From You

731 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
ssfriendly February 12 2014 at 9:26 PM

Bob, if you want it to go away within 24hrs get in touch with me. I do have a sure cure that is free, almost painless but does work 100% sure.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Bob February 12 2014 at 4:21 PM

We all love the job Costas does as prime time host but if he is sick then he is sick. Matt is a true professional and seemed to do a good job last night. This is not as much sports as it is an event for NBC Universal.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
becky February 12 2014 at 3:26 PM

I got pinkeye in one eye years ago. I was given drops and told to also put them in the other eye as it would probably get pinkeye. thought about it and realized that if I used the SAME BOTTLE for both eyes I'd be contaminating the other one....SOLUTION: I got a 2nd bottle of drops for the other eye and labeled it. The doctor said it was a good idea....why didn't he think of it? (never got pinkeye in other eye)

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to becky's comment
Joan February 12 2014 at 7:08 PM

Usually, treating both eyes is normally recommended. As long as the bottle is kept away from the eye and doesn't touch it, and the hand holding the bottle remains "clean", one bottle should suffice. To save money for those who might be on limited budgets. In other words, one clean hand, one clean bottle, one dirty hand to hold eyelid down.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
bobonaging February 12 2014 at 1:37 PM

NBC is doing a great job making these Olympics as much about them and their polically correct world as the athletes. Next time, please: ABC

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Annette Dailey February 12 2014 at 1:31 PM

I have had pink eye on numerous occasions because I worked with children often during my career. More recently it didn't completely heal and I unknowingly returned to using my contacts. I had no pain but the whites of my eyes looked bloodshot. It turned out I had a serious infection that left untreated could have damaged my eyesight. It took weeks to heal. BE CAREFUL not to do what I did and ignore it because it didn't hurt and there was no discharge. I learned my lesson!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
m072344 February 12 2014 at 10:10 AM

bob-you are not that important...........get over it..........the Olympics will go on..........Matt did a great job.........the games are about the players and not about you trying to get attention...........remember what the song said about "short" people...........

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
happycar1926 February 12 2014 at 10:01 AM

He took the red-eye from LAX

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Barb c February 12 2014 at 8:00 AM

Hello, Bob Costas, I new there was something wrong with your eye when I first saw you. Well hurray up and recover, because the Olympic Games are not the same if you are not there. So get well soon. A Loyal Fan, Barbara Christopher

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
Nancy February 12 2014 at 5:26 AM

Bob needs to take care of his infected eyes. Pink eye is nothing to be fooled around with, especially in adults. This is a highly contageous disease. There's also a real possibility of permanent damage to his eyes. I know that the Olympics is your "thing" Bob, but your eyesight is more important.

Take care of yourself Bob, so you will be around for future Olympics.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
TheAOLExperience February 12 2014 at 5:21 AM

Mr. Costas, from one who had pink-eye herself -- twice! -- I wish you a speedy recovery!

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
1 reply to TheAOLExperience's comment
savannahswithgod February 12 2014 at 2:57 PM

So they weren't green at the time? You're one beautiful cat. The Lords a funny cat. Made my pillow meow when talking to him about the cats. But still he sends them and takes them. Been a rough two months.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down