Mother to surprise son who thought he had no friends

Mother to Surprise Son Who Thought He Had No Friends

This is the story of one very awesome mom. Colin, 10, from Michigan told his mother he didn't want to have a birthday party because he didn't have any friends.

His mom decided to create a Facebook page to lift his spirits. The first post read:

I am Colin's mom, I created this page for my amazing, wonderful, challenging son who is about to turn 11 on March 9th. Because of Colin's disabilities, social skills are not easy for him, and he often acts out in school, and the other kids don't like him. So when I asked him if he wanted a party for his birthday, he said there wasn't a point because he has no friends. He eats lunch alone in the office everyday because no one will let him sit with them, and rather than force someone to be unhappy with his presence, he sits alone in the office. So I thought, if I could create a page where people could send him positive thoughts and encouraging words, that would be better than any birthday party. Please join me in making my very original son feel special on his day.

She was hoping for 50 responses -- and now Colin has more than 18,000 friends. He's also getting 'likes' by the second. At publication time, his page was up to 56,303 of 'em.

Colin's mom is also getting tons of mail, as you can see in the photo below.

Amazing mom

WOOD-TV spoke with Colin's mom, Jennifer, who said she was heartbroken when her son first approached her, so she decided to do something about it.

'Colin was diagnosed a year ago with a sensor processing disorder, along with other brain processing problems similar to Autism and Asperger's. Lights and sound and changes will cause him to melt down,' she explained.

People from around the world have been commenting on Colin's page, and he's is in for a big surprise: His mom isn't going to show him the page until his actual birthday, March 9.

Cris February 12 2014 at 5:18 PM

Now that is a great parent, to bad we don't have many others like her.
Good luck HON and GOD Bless.

americanmusclen55 February 12 2014 at 4:05 PM

Put another candle on that birthday cake, a birthday wish you are going to make.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY, ENJOY THE DAY, BE HAPPY, PROUD TO BE YOUR FRIEND.

licksnpurrs February 12 2014 at 4:03 PM

Happy Birthday to a Super Kid:

Maybe these kids are just jealous of you!. Have a super duper Happy Birthday. I'm plugging for you.

Nanci February 12 2014 at 4:02 PM

Happy Happy Birthday Colin! you're the man!

americanmusclen55 February 12 2014 at 4:02 PM

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Colin,

Happy Birthday to you, and many, many more, and I'm a new friend, I wish you fun times and be the beautiful little guy I saw on TV. My new Pal, you have more friends then you know.

What a wonderful caring Mom to do this for her little joy.

kim February 12 2014 at 3:59 PM

happy Birthday Colin if it were possible and we lived nearby id bring my grandson who is just like you to celebrate your birthday sweet-heart your a very special young man dont you ever forget that.... a new friend Eldricks grandma!!

GINA V GOTTI February 12 2014 at 3:59 PM

Happy 11th B-day Colin ! May God Bless you abundantly in life . Y ou have wonderful Mother for making your 11th B-day special and loving you the way she does . Your Mother is your best friend in this world .... we all learn this . Have fun Colin on your special day .

JOANN & CARL February 12 2014 at 3:58 PM

we all need a friend! hang in there and someone will see your gifts

americanmusclen55 JOANN & CARL February 12 2014 at 4:04 PM

Right, Colin is his own gift, a beautiful gift from God.

More kids should be like you honey.

JillyBean February 12 2014 at 3:55 PM

Bravo to Colin's mom for coming up with this creative "gift" for Colin. I can't help but think that the school should be doing more to make Colin feel less of an outcast. Empathy should be taught and maybe they could set up some sort of buddy program for Colin and other kids that feel this way.

dwndnk February 12 2014 at 3:53 PM

Happy Birthday, Colin, have an amazingly blessed day!!!! You are awesome!!!