AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Mother to surprise son who thought he had no friends

Mother to Surprise Son Who Thought He Had No Friends

This is the story of one very awesome mom. Colin, 10, from Michigan told his mother he didn't want to have a birthday party because he didn't have any friends.

His mom decided to create a Facebook page to lift his spirits. The first post read:

I am Colin's mom, I created this page for my amazing, wonderful, challenging son who is about to turn 11 on March 9th. Because of Colin's disabilities, social skills are not easy for him, and he often acts out in school, and the other kids don't like him. So when I asked him if he wanted a party for his birthday, he said there wasn't a point because he has no friends. He eats lunch alone in the office everyday because no one will let him sit with them, and rather than force someone to be unhappy with his presence, he sits alone in the office. So I thought, if I could create a page where people could send him positive thoughts and encouraging words, that would be better than any birthday party. Please join me in making my very original son feel special on his day.

She was hoping for 50 responses -- and now Colin has more than 18,000 friends. He's also getting 'likes' by the second. At publication time, his page was up to 56,303 of 'em.

Colin's mom is also getting tons of mail, as you can see in the photo below.

Amazing mom

WOOD-TV spoke with Colin's mom, Jennifer, who said she was heartbroken when her son first approached her, so she decided to do something about it.

'Colin was diagnosed a year ago with a sensor processing disorder, along with other brain processing problems similar to Autism and Asperger's. Lights and sound and changes will cause him to melt down,' she explained.

People from around the world have been commenting on Colin's page, and he's is in for a big surprise: His mom isn't going to show him the page until his actual birthday, March 9.

More From You

272 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Reggi February 13 2014 at 9:58 AM

Hey Collin, Happy Birthday!!!!
You and I have the best moms. I have a disability too. I was shy and didn't make a lot of friends in school. My mom is awesome and has always been there for me.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
LINDA February 13 2014 at 2:52 AM

Happy Birthday Colin. From Florida near Disney World. I hope you have many more happy birthdays and you can write to me if you want to. I'm at ladymoriah3@aol.com. Looking forward to hearing from you. Linda

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
nicky12379396090 February 13 2014 at 2:25 AM

Happy Birthday Colen ,
From New Jersey , You have a great mom, enjoy your bithday and many more.
nicky from Jersey

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
plutgirl February 13 2014 at 2:25 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLLIN.
We are you new friends from Georgia. Jennifer is my daughter and I am her Mom, Anne, . we would to be youe friends. Maybe we meet one day amd in the meantime we cab write to you, AND YOU TO US happy birthday sweet Boy. You have lots of friends niow,

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
leavesbound February 13 2014 at 2:22 AM

To Colin's Mom, Show it to him now. Don't wait. As one in his 50s similarly afflicted I can tell you he is in a bad place right now and you don't want to put it off another second.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to leavesbound's comment
leavesbound February 13 2014 at 2:23 AM

To Colin, you are not alone, we are MILLIONS.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to leavesbound's comment
LINDA February 13 2014 at 2:54 AM

WTG. You are right. He is not alone because he has us.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Kevin February 13 2014 at 2:09 AM

Hi Colin and your Mom,
I can certainly related to what you may be going through but be rest assured that there are people out there that are your friend and want to be your friend. I had my problems in school (made fun of with my glasses, sat alone in the library during lunch reading stuff because I had no friends). Things will change for you as you can already see and they have changed for me as well. I now have a beautiful wife and 2 children and am very happy for almost 10 years now. Things will work out for you but keep in mind the only place you will find success before work is in the dictionary...: )

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
masnowberger February 13 2014 at 2:01 AM

Colin, You are a very special young man. Have a wonderful birthday . You are wrong when you think you have no friends because you do. Your friends are so special that they don't go to school with you. Instead they are all over the world.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
teabag60 February 13 2014 at 1:51 AM

What a wonderful mom. COLIN you are a great young man and you are very brave to go to school every day and work so hard. Keep up the good work.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
sharonusher1940 February 13 2014 at 1:25 AM

hey sweet COLIN, you have more friends that you know of and i'm one of them

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
sharonusher1940 February 13 2014 at 1:22 AM

HI THERE , COLIN. I LOVE YOU AND SO DOES JESUS. AND I AND MY FAMILY WISH YOU A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND THAT YOU GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT FOR YOU BIRTHDAY

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to sharonusher1940's comment
BARRY AND KATHY February 13 2014 at 1:04 PM

Just had to put in the bit about Jesus didn't you? Quit pushing your beliefs on others. Jesus was just another man. Nothing special.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down