Hundreds flock to 'weeping' Mary statue in Israel

JERUSALEM (AP) - Hundreds of people have flocked to a small town in northern Israel to view a statue of the Virgin Mary that residents say "weeps" oil.

Members of a Christian family from Tarshiha, near the Lebanon border, say they have witnessed a miracle in their living room.

Osama Khoury said Tuesday that his wife Amira found the statue "covered with oil" recently. Amira said the statue "spoke to her" and told her not to be afraid. After a neighbor witnessed the oil, word soon spread.

Parts of the statue appear to be slick with moisture, even after it is wiped off.

The family says it is most striking when a "tear" seems to roll down the statue's cheek. It says some 2,000 people have come to see the statue over the last week.

marcjannat February 11 2014 at 7:07 PM

If you really believe of GOD pray yourselve . Why you looking for someone to pray for you? Why you pay for the prayer?

mialy February 11 2014 at 8:12 PM

You all can say whatever you want to, but the way the world is today, I understand why she is weeping. She stands for the mother of Christ, for heavens sake. It doesn't mean, we have to pray to her, but maybe it means we need to change a little, and who says it's not a sign from God. After all God chose her to be the mother of his only son Jesus Christ. Or did you all forget this?

wolffmale February 11 2014 at 6:38 PM

amen

bearmtnman February 12 2014 at 7:06 AM

Catholics do not worship Mary. Catholics pray to her and ask for her help. Jesus, her son listens to her, He performed His first miracle at her request. He went home with her after she found Him in the temple. Her picture is a reminder of her, we venerate her pictures and statues like you venerate pictures of your loved ones. I trust in her intercession.

Louise February 11 2014 at 8:14 PM

Christians only worship one God. They do not worship statues. They do honor Jesus and Mary and other saints with statues, holy cards, etc. There have been accounts of tears from statues of the Virgin Mary many times so that would invoke believers to come and and see maybe witness a miracle.
Rome would determine a miracle after extensive study. The cause of the statue wet with oil can probably be determined.
Only ignorant people would use this as an excuse to make fun of other peoples faith.
If the statue is crying real tears after all, it would probably because of all the evil in the world and for people with nothing better to do .

Master Gomes Louise February 11 2014 at 8:19 PM

I agree, Jesus Our Lord and Savior said " It is finished"; He's the only one we should follow, Beleive it

Penny February 11 2014 at 8:17 PM

Wow, you all need to be educated for sure, I am Catholic and have never ever prayed to a saint in place of Jesus or God and no Catholic is ever taught to do this! Learn before judging! As far as statues, same thing as hanging pictures in your house on the walls of people, places, things, family etc, they sure aren't idols to me! I pray to Jesus/God. We respect Mary as she is the mother of Jesus, just as we would honor honor a friend's mother, we honor her because she is the mother of Jesus which makes her a bit more above others. This statue story has nothing to do with being Catholic.

lsdestiny February 11 2014 at 8:18 PM

A miracle; pray for peace on earth for all human and animal kind.

suncruzma February 11 2014 at 8:19 PM

Catholics worsip one God but the Virgin Mary and others are worshipped in different ways. To me that has a meaning of something to come. That is my belief.

jpweg5 February 11 2014 at 8:20 PM

I'm obviously not a Catholic, but it seems to me that they can trace their beginning all the way back to jesus. And since jesus ( as god) can't make an error are saying he founded the wrong religion. Doesn't seem likely a god would do that.

Joey211265 jpweg5 February 11 2014 at 8:37 PM

Jesus is God, in the second person, in my opinion. And No, God doesn't make mistakes. He gave man reason ~ the ability to chose. If man chooses to be worship anything, {a door knob..?}, that has nothing to do with Gods' creations. Men, however, are imperfect & often chose poorly. As a Christian, I *know* Jesus is my Lord & Savior & I know the Creator is the heavenly Father. I do not follow a specific "religion", I follow Christ. Do I believe this statue is crying oil? Couldn't tell you since I am not there. Do I believe *anything* is possible with God? You betcha.
Be well & well blessed ~

jnickey777 February 11 2014 at 8:24 PM

Catholics do not worship statues, anymore than a person worship pictures or statues that they display in their homes or yards. But like a picture of a loved one it reminds us of how much we love our God !!
When having a bad day to turn and see a statue of Christ or any of his saint reminds us as to what this world is all about. Just like when we see a picture of our loved ones!!!! So I guess everyone who displays any statue or a picture is an idol worshiper. A picture is a picture, just as a statue is a statue!!