Christie Brinkley and Sports Illustrated models stun in controversial flight safety video

By Emily Cegielski

Safety just got scandalous with the release of Air New Zealand's new in-flight instruction video featuring scantily-clad Sports Illustrated models.

The airline teamed up with Sports Illustrated to celebrate the 50th anniversary of its swimsuit issue, resulting in the four-minute video. Some of SI's most well-known models make an appearance, including three-time cover girl Christie Brinkley.

"I'm grateful to be included in Air New Zealand's safety video," Brinkley said in a press statement. "It features so many SI beauties celebrating SI's 50th anniversary of the swimsuit edition, that it may even have folks on the ground reaching for their oxygen masks."

Air New Zealand is calling the spot the "world's most beautiful safety video," but this hot video is getting the company into some hot water.

Dr. Deborah Russell, a lecturer at New Zealand's Massey University, told the Sydney Morning Herald that the video is offensive to women.

"My concern is that as a woman I get on a plane to go to a business meeting say - something serious - and I am confronted by women in bikinis in what are highly sexualized images," Russell said. "That jars. I want to be taken seriously but it seems that suddenly they are saying that my sexuality is all that matters about me."

Not everyone is so concerned.

Officials at the airline have stated that they think the entire production was tasteful and that proper protocol was followed to make sure the video struck a balance between entertainment and its safety message.

It seems unlikely that the backlash will hurt the airline, and mostly likely, the video will attract positive attention and passenger traffic for Air New Zealand, because - let's be real - a little beauty never made traveling worse than it already is.
Air New Zealand Unveils Sexy Safety Video

bienhoa72alum February 12 2014 at 9:58 AM

Today I turned 65 - Nice to know (With all apologies to my wife whom I love dearly) that there are such female feasts for the eyes in my age bracket!

oldknight bienhoa72alum February 12 2014 at 10:01 AM

Stunning ain't it how women and most men let themselves go. Doesn't have to be that way. Good point there.

swidorskycarpet February 12 2014 at 8:43 AM

As for the Haters... If Brinkley had some "work" done, it was done right. She doesn't look plasticfied. She is beautiful ! As a woman, am I jealous ? Damn right I am a little jealous ! Some have the genes and the motivation to take care of themselves.

miriamisrael1 February 12 2014 at 8:39 AM

Christie Brinkley Rocks :-)

lyricalvirgo February 12 2014 at 8:34 AM

She is just stunning - proving you can look that good at any age. It takes hard work and dedication. She doesn't look like that without really exercising and taking good car of herself. God bless Christy. I am 47 and it is an everyday event of hard work trying to look and be in as good shape as I can be. I have to say No a lot and make sacrifices but nothing comes easy and without a price.

anandaone February 12 2014 at 7:56 AM

All the makeup and personal training in the world won't give you a body like that if you don't have the genes. Don't let your jealousy blind you to common sense. The woman is beautiful. Most women half her age don't look that good. It's funny reading the haters and wishers here though. Lol.

Kushy February 12 2014 at 7:36 AM

As the say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

pburrowes1 February 12 2014 at 6:07 AM

Thats enough to make you book a flight on Air New Zealand! Good for them and she is still beautiful!

slim200 February 12 2014 at 5:58 AM

what was lizard face billy joel thinking?? she is gorgeous and at 60 there is still a lot of juice in that turkey!!!

rockbitt05 February 11 2014 at 10:05 PM

she is the hottest woman alive and will be forever! i love her! always have!

johnclairowens rockbitt05 February 11 2014 at 10:12 PM

...............Rock,...... Don't elieve your fantasies. she has to spend more money 6o stay looking like that than you or I do for all our yearly expenses combined.

notnnword johnclairowens February 11 2014 at 11:01 PM

Where you been?
This is for the females.

Flag 0 rate up
RavensBack11847 rockbitt05 February 12 2014 at 6:53 AM

My hubby thinks Chistie is the second hottest woman around! :)

steelers69698 February 12 2014 at 8:46 AM