Very Angry Birds: Over 3,000 Rescued In Cock-Fighting Bust

'Operation Angry Birds' Takes Down N.Y. Cockfighting Ring

More than 70 people were detained and over 3,000 chickens seized in the state's largest cockfighting ring bust. Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman announced Sunday evening that his Organized Crime Task Force executed the largest cockfighting take-down in New York's history and one of the largest nationwide. This is the first known investigation where the crime of Prohibition of Animal Fighting was enforced in three New York counties simultaneously.

sableesp February 10 2014 at 2:23 PM

{sorry my comment was in reference to the rooster abuse story} it didn't state what I was commenting about. These 'people' have to be wiped out & I'll be happy to advocate for the animals anytime as I took in 2 boston terriers, a horse that needed a home.

Brek Randolph sableesp February 10 2014 at 6:57 PM

Go to your local dog pound, sad cases are limitless. Oh and don't get on you tube and look at trapping, you'll forget all about cock fighting.

msharvie February 10 2014 at 1:40 PM

People who cause the suffering and pain of animals for monetary gain should be punished to the maximum of the law.

angela msharvie February 10 2014 at 2:14 PM

yes msharvie, i am an animal advocate and i see so many dogs suffer by the hands of humans and also now horses, it is horrible just horrible to see small pet be abused so much!

Brek Randolph msharvie February 10 2014 at 4:02 PM

You won't have to look farther than you local grocery store! But there is no law against it to punish them. Why don't you attempt to count how many animals suffered to fill the meat counter? If you are not a vegetarian you are a hypocrite.

lorraine.usa February 10 2014 at 1:40 PM

In a world where much to much animal cruelty goes on glad to hear they got
the scums hope they rot in hell some day.

Brek Randolph lorraine.usa February 10 2014 at 4:04 PM

Why do people think fighting cocks is cruel? Yet slaughter houses operate with impunity. I don't get it. Cock fighting is a crime, yet over a billion, yes a billion animals suffer so some human can eat them and that's ok.

lorraine.usa Brek Randolph February 10 2014 at 4:23 PM

You are right about what you say but these sub humans are doing this for nothing more
then what they consider entertainment and it is sick.

Flag 0 rate up
Brek Randolph lorraine.usa February 10 2014 at 5:33 PM

From the standpoint of the bird a fighting cock enjoys a much better life than a commercial broiler or laying hen. It matters little to the bird why the humans raise or kill them. In all seriousness do you contribute to the suffering? If you are a vegetarian with no fur coats etc you could honestly say you have clean hands. These people are all up in arms about silly cock fighting, but I can tell you trapping and the suffering those poor creatures go through does not even compare. And guess what trapping is legal, it has the gov's blessing. I have slowly closed a leg trap on my finger and in a few seconds it hurts, really hurts. The little creature that gets his foot stuck has to hurt in agonizing pain till he dies of exposure. All this is on youtube, just click your mouse.

gspcharlie February 10 2014 at 3:00 PM

This is more widespread than anyone might think.
Horrible !

Brek Randolph gspcharlie February 10 2014 at 3:39 PM

Humm, just wondering if you ever heard of Foster Farms or Randall farms? These two alone kill over 100,000 birds daily. Is that horrible? Or is this genocide ok since it allows you to have chicken for dinner?

rdclaw2000 February 10 2014 at 1:55 PM

Darn COCK fighters.

dianecloninger February 10 2014 at 1:30 PM

I would tie down all the participants (ALL) and bait their faces with stuff the roosters will go for, then turn them loose and let them have at the faces of the abusers!!! tit for tat you cruel S.O.B. the penalty for any animal abuser(s) should be prison sentences the same as murders.

Brek Randolph dianecloninger February 10 2014 at 4:23 PM

Cocks go after cocks. As soon as they see another cock they want to tear into him. It is their nature to beat/kill another cock so they can breed the hens. It's how the world is. I hope you are a vegetarian, cause if you aren't you are a hypocrite contributing to the suffering of billions of animals killed so some human can eat them.

dori Brek Randolph February 10 2014 at 4:45 PM

I have a large free-range chicken farm, and I am a vegetarian, so I end up with a lot of roosters. They do sometimes fight, but less than my kids do. I can't recall ever having a causality for their fighting. Usually they respect the pecking order, and the hen does have some say in the matter. A rooster that offers her food is more likely to get some action. Hens do have their man and will run to "their man" when another roosters tries to breed.
Regardless, they don't automatically fight. Most days they don't fight at all. It only gets serious when there are two determined to outrank the other, but even then not deadly. Once again, they fight less than my kids. Game roosters are selectively bred to be much more violent than normal roosters, and the cock fighter handlers tie razors on their rooster's spurs to make things bloodier and deadly.

Flag 0 rate up
dimibaker dianecloninger February 10 2014 at 6:50 PM

I see you support human abuse.

justme February 10 2014 at 3:04 PM

Growing up on the farm I know that even if some roosters are treated good it doesn't mean they will not attack you.

prairieminx February 10 2014 at 1:15 PM

Chickens are sensitive and sweet as pets, roosters are especially smart and caring for their flock as protectors. I don't understand animal abuse. It is truly a sad side of humanity. Thank you ASPCA and all involved in helping the abused animals that can't help themselves.

Joesph prairieminx February 10 2014 at 1:47 PM

roosters will fight each other at a drop of the hat, humans don't even have to be involved. it seem to take more work trying to stop them from fighting sometimes

dori Joesph February 10 2014 at 4:52 PM

I have a lot of roosters on my farm. They don't don't fight very much. Maybe once or twice a year I'll have two rooster that fight enough to cause each other injuries, but usually nothing deadly. My dogs tend to fight each other more often. Come to think of it, so do my kids. I am a vegetarian as one commenter keeps asking everybody. I got my own chickens as a humane source of eggs, but I do let my hens hatch eggs when they get broody. That causes me to have lots of roosters. I probably have at least a hundred free-range chickens, and have probably had thousands over my life time. I know what I'm talking about when I say it's not normal for roosters to fight to the extreme that game roosters fight. Those are bred and trained to fight.

Flag 0 rate up
Brek Randolph prairieminx February 10 2014 at 4:24 PM

Who is helping the billions of animals destined for a slaughter house? You are a vegetarian aren't you?

caminante4 February 10 2014 at 3:11 PM

Deport all of them. Not the chickens, the people.

Ms. Miller February 10 2014 at 3:17 PM

Not surprised , Rowdy azz Puerto Ricans, they cant be deported but they can be arrested .

retpo96 Ms. Miller February 11 2014 at 1:32 AM

Yet none here making comments of cruelty have a pity for killing wild life.Ban all hunting then you can speak with sinserity.