'The Bachelor' Juan Pablo Galavis discusses gay remarks

'GMA': 'The Bachelor' Juan Pablo Galavis Discusses Gay Remarks

'The Bachelor' star Juan Pablo Galavis appeared on 'Good Morning America' Monday, and he discussed the infamous remarks that landed him in hot water.

He drew major criticism last month for comments he made when asked whether there should be a gay or homosexual 'Bachelor.'

Juan Pablo said he thought it would be a bad example, and used the word 'pervert' in his response to reporters. Now, he's explaining his side of the story.

'It was a misuse of a word in English, that I, like I said, people don't understand it,' he said.
'I've been around gay people all my life, I have a cousin who's gay, his sister's a nun, so they've been around my house all my life. To me it was a misunderstanding.'

Juan Pablo told 'GMA' that sometimes he uses the wrong words and has to type them into Google.

TVLine reports that Juan Pablo did receive backlash from the network for his comments. ABC and the show's producers called his remarks quote 'thoughtless' and 'insensitive.'

In closing, Juan Pablo told ABC's George Stephanopoulos that he respects everyone just as they are.

What do you think? Talk to us in the comments below.

Billy Rogers February 11 2014 at 5:30 AM

Why all the fuss about this guy. Like the women on the show, none of them are for real. They're all out enjoying the hell out of their 'camera time' and short-lived fame. They all hope that it will lead to Bigger and Better Things and Careers. It's kind of like High School Dating, with someone else providing the 'amenities' - limos, plane trips, nights out on the town. Nice but Unsubstantive. Juan Pablo is the 'flavor of the month' - there will be another...and another...and...

elmaterial February 10 2014 at 5:57 PM

Why doesn't he said the word he did mean in spanish? If he googled it he should tell us the real word instead of using it as an excuse!

mebertandalex February 10 2014 at 8:13 PM

Much ado about nothing. I care nothing about other peoples' sex lives. I don't want to think about what anybody does in private, including heteros.

belldon10 February 10 2014 at 6:17 PM

Why anyone pays any attention to what the bachelor or bachelorette says is beyond me. If you think they are fonts of wisdom, you have a problem.

Sandy February 11 2014 at 9:13 AM

I have dated men from other countries and English is their second language they do have a hard time with some of our words , sayings and spelling of our words. How many people have been in a foreign country and tried to speak the language only to say the wrong thing forgive him . I believe him

lthrnck68 February 10 2014 at 6:13 PM

It's a reality show. This guy is NOT a star.

Robert or Ann February 11 2014 at 8:58 AM

We live on the Texas-Mexico border, and I speak some Spanish. I can sympathize with Juan Pablo, since the same wrong choice of words could happen to me at any time. In the interior of Mexico the word "cola" can be used to mean a line. Locally, that word can mean "butt," and "fila" is used to mean a line. Sometimes it can be really embarrassing. Ann

jlsadfare February 11 2014 at 8:51 AM

If you don't want controversy don't ask questions on controversial subjects

nikeiausa jlsadfare February 11 2014 at 8:58 AM

Don't agree with his opinion but glad we live in a contry where we can still express our opinion. Just sad that he is not man enought to stand up for what he had said.

emmett jlsadfare February 11 2014 at 9:57 AM

Don't 'answer' questions on controversial subjects .

Trouble February 11 2014 at 12:56 AM

this is another plastic manniquin, with no substance, and very little sense. . . the women fawning over him have the same level of depth. . yes, I watched it one time.

Scooter February 10 2014 at 6:56 PM

How queer of him. That was not a misuse of the word!