Everyday products you're using wrong

Everyday Products You've Been Using Wrong

Sure, the way you use Reynolds wrap, eat from a Chinese takeout box, chow down on Greek yogurt and pour ketchup totally works ... but this video is about to make you see things a bit differently.

For tinfoil that stays in place, don't forget to pop in the little tab on the side. Voila!

Instead of eating Chinese takeout from the box, you can turn it into an instant plate by folding the sides down.

The same basic idea works for those little ketchup cups. Unfold them to reveal their true potential (and make more room for the condiment).

Perhaps you realized this, but you don't have to spoon the honey or fruit from one side of the Greek yogurt to the other. Simply tip the cup for a less messy mix.

Love sipping soda through a straw? Stop the bobbing with a turn of the tab on a can.

Always losing your spoon when you cook in a saucepan? Most can fit in the slot at the top of the handle. You'll never have to go searching for it again.

Tired of to-go drinks 'sweating' all over everything? Don't let the condensation stress you out. The lid can become a coaster in seconds.

Last but not least, BuzzFeed shows us a handy way to turn the foil top of a small applesauce into a spoon. (You have to be pretty desperate to try this one, but we're sure it could come in handy for someone ... somewhere ...)

Have you figured out any brilliant around-the-house hacks? Share the wealth! Tell us in the comments below.

SuKDu February 15 2014 at 9:54 AM

Every Chinese takeout food carton I've even seen had a metal wire handle fastened through the container. You'd have to tear the carton apart, spilling its contents, to open it up.

Bill SuKDu February 15 2014 at 10:05 AM

That's OK; the next article will be DIY burn creams and laundry tips.

archmantamu SuKDu February 15 2014 at 10:22 AM

. . .not to mention the pain it is when you haven't eaten it all and want to save it. . .good luck folding it back up without food getting in the way of the folds

Karine February 15 2014 at 11:01 AM

I surely did until a friend of mine told me about the tabs .. I did not pay attention to them for many years ... Same with stretch wrap .. BTW to pevent the wrap from sticking - place it in he freezer ..

tommyjohn56 February 15 2014 at 11:03 AM

The Reynolds Wrap trick doesn't work. Yes, the tabs are perforated into the outside of the box, but not through to the inner flaps. So when you push the "roll locking" tab, the end of the box falls apart. After wrapping a strip of shipping tape over the ends, I have the intended feature working, but it's probably not what they planned.

wr1960 tommyjohn56 February 15 2014 at 11:14 AM

yea my box feel apart also.. I had to tape the ends shut. it is the wax cookie paper, baking paper

Judith tommyjohn56 February 15 2014 at 12:44 PM

I've never had that problem and I've been using those roll-lock tabs for decades on waxed paper, foil, plastic wrap, and parchment paper. Oh, well - I guess some of us are a bit more lucky than others.

charmaine February 15 2014 at 11:07 AM

Great idea-thanks

milenakoncar February 16 2014 at 9:17 AM

the one of the apple sauce is DISGUSTING! imagine the outer part of the foil! its been touched by anyone and everyone! THAT WAS HORRIBLE!

xshow112 milenakoncar February 16 2014 at 9:52 AM

My brother worked for a food distribution warehouse years ago when he was in HS. NEVER AGAIN will I drink right from a soda/juice can, and certainly wouldn't do that applesauce thing.

aleldi February 15 2014 at 11:15 AM

IN GERMANY, WARNING on Aluminum Foil .. do not let foil touch food while cooking...risk of contamination.

Hiya Cynthia! February 16 2014 at 8:28 AM

I don't mind learning about new ways to do things but can we PLEASE STOP THE HEADLINES that constantly tell us what we're doing "WRONG?" as if there is only one way to do something and it ought to be AOL's way? I realize it's just a tactic to get you to read the article but it's a trend that ought to STOP! Journalism used to be informative. Now, it's mostly smug and puts down its readers. Quit it!

gigglesx2335 February 15 2014 at 11:18 AM

Yah I use the things the on the end but THEY MAKE IT SO HARD TO PUSH THEM OPEN. I have go and get knvie just to open the little traigle

filmgrad52 February 15 2014 at 11:22 AM

Let's see him try that with fried rice.

Judith filmgrad52 February 15 2014 at 12:35 PM

What difference would that make?

leftydap52 February 16 2014 at 7:39 AM