nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=txtlnkusaolp00000051 network-banner-empty mtmhpBanner
14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Celebrity fight between rapper DMX, George Zimmerman called off



(Reuters) - The celebrity boxing match between rapper DMX and acquitted Florida killer George Zimmerman has been called off, its promoter said on Saturday after threats were made against him.

The three-round match would have pitted Zimmerman, who was found not guilty in the 2012 shooting death of unarmed, black teenager Trayvon Martin, against the trash-talking musician with a history of arrests, most of them drug or driving offenses.

Damon Feldman, who has organized numerous bouts between celebrities, said on Twitter that the Zimmerman-DMX match was off after generating a public outcry this week.

"Done with George Zimmerman if you had a major payday sitting in front of you, I know no one else would walk away like I did ***Next!!," he said in a Tweet.

Martin's shooting and Zimmerman's self-defense claim polarized the United States on issues of racial justice, stand your ground laws and gun control.

Feldman came under a barrage of criticism after the fight between Zimmerman and Earl Simmons, better known as DMX, was announced on Wednesday, Martin's birthday.

Civil rights leader Reverend Al Sharpton, who has backed Martin's family, cautioned against glorifying Zimmerman. The "Cancel George Zimmerman's 'Celebrity' Boxing Match" Facebook page generated 315,000 "likes."

Sherry Schaefer, Feldman's assistant, said that the promoter had been threatened and had to get a bodyguard.

Feldman was approached about seeking a bout for Zimmerman, although the promoter did not consider him a celebrity, she said.

Schaefer said billionaire Alki David had backed the proposed fight for his FilmOn.com online television service.

The fight was first set for March 1 and then switched to March 15.

In a statement, a spokesman for DMX said the rapper had never agreed to the fight and it would not affect his concert schedule.

After Zimmerman's acquittal, his lawyer said it would be difficult for his client, like defendants in other notorious crimes, to find normal employment.

In his 2013 trial, Zimmerman was accused of racially profiling, following and shooting Martin, a 17-year-old guest in a gated neighborhood in central Florida, as the youth was returning from a convenience store. Zimmerman claimed self-defense.

The trial put the spotlight on Florida's stand your ground law, which allows someone in fear of his or her life to use lethal force.

Since his acquittal, Zimmerman has had several brushes with the law. He has twice been stopped for speeding, once in Texas and again in Florida.

In September, Zimmerman was questioned by police after his estranged wife called authorities saying he threatened her with a gun. He was not charged in that incident.

Join the discussion

1000|Char. 1000  Char.
ddavid07642 February 11 2014 at 2:50 AM

It's pretty sad when we can consider someone like Zimmerman a celebrity, but that's what the media has made him. The opening sceen from "Newroom" a show on hbo (and can be seen on YouTube) pretty much sums up today's media. Real estate agents used to be considered the lowest of the low, job wise, although I never agreed. I would have to say that today's media ranks as the lowest of the low. They are for the most part people out to make money with no regard for self worth. Having made Zimmerman into a celebrity tells us a lot about what they value.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
dadiscool February 10 2014 at 4:07 PM

Doesn 't matter who fights who as long as it generates money for a morthy cause

Flag Reply +1 rate up
1 reply
dadiscool dadiscool February 10 2014 at 4:08 PM

worthy

Flag Reply +1 rate up
cenvalref February 11 2014 at 5:45 AM

I don't get it. So many black people threaten to kill or beat up Zimmerman. Now they had there chance and it seemed nobody wanted this fight to happen.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
Jay McKay February 10 2014 at 4:12 PM

George Z and the Octomom seems to have something in common. They both will try and do anything to remain relevant and in the spot light. They, like so many others just do not want their "15 min of fame" to die out.

Flag Reply +5 rate up
rmbeckerjr February 10 2014 at 2:47 PM

"its promoter said on Saturday after threats were made against him"

So the promoter was surprised he got this kind of reaction?

Flag Reply +8 rate up
lbn78 February 10 2014 at 4:16 PM

Oh come on..Not this guy AGAIN!!

Flag Reply +1 rate up
thepistroyer February 10 2014 at 9:24 PM

VEGAS LINE

RAPPER + 170
ZIMMY - 200

THATS WHY THE FIGHT GOT CANCELLED

Flag Reply +2 rate up
1 reply
steiiahlooo thepistroyer February 10 2014 at 9:36 PM

Rapper would have thrown one punch. and the "weak Zimmerman" would have been seeing, stars!

Flag Reply +2 rate up
shaunoakland32 February 10 2014 at 4:22 PM

hate to admit it being a 35 year old black man....but DMX ran his mouth about how he was going to inflict pain on GZ for all the blacks out there.. JUSTICE.. that was before he found out GZ has been training and is not a fat azz easy target. Just like most blacks out there if it poses a challenge they want nothing to do with it.. It then turned into DMX wanting money for the fight.. what happened to JUSTICE? everyone needs to shut the hell up worry about there families and let your GOD decide the rest...

Flag Reply +8 rate up
1 reply
traveler2001 shaunoakland32 February 10 2014 at 4:30 PM

if mr. z thinks it's going to be a "slugfest" he'll be yelling "no mas"

Flag Reply 0 rate up
S A R A H February 10 2014 at 10:01 PM

I want to see him and OJ

Flag Reply +2 rate up
onewhitef February 10 2014 at 6:09 PM

who called him a man ?

Flag Reply +1 rate up
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

More From Our Partners