nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

50 years of Beatlemania

It was fifty years ago on Sunday, Feb. 9, 1964, when America fell in love with four shaggy haired boys from Liverpool on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

Their appearance on American TV certainly would be one for the record books. The Beatles opened and closed the show that was estimated to have been watched by a record-breaking 73 million viewers. According to Nielsen, 45 percent of all televisions at the time were tuned into the broadcast of the Fab Four.

If you're a die-hard fan there are plenty of events to help you celebrate the milestone anniversary. Capitol Records will project a photo of the band in front of an American flag onto the Capitol Tower in Hollywood. They will also show fans The Beatles 50 logo created especially for the affair. There will be an event at the Hollywood Walk of Fame as well.

New Yorkers can head to the Ed Sullivan Theater to see a retro marquee honoring the famed appearance. The marquee features the exact wording that was posted for "The Ed Sullivan Show" on Feb. 9, 1964.

If you're not able to make the trek to Los Angeles or New York then CBS will be airing "The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles" Sunday at 8 p.m. The show includes performances by Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, Katy Perry, Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5, Dhani Harrison, Brad Paisley, Pharrell Williams and members of the Cirque du Soleil's Las Vegas Beatles show "Love."

The Beatles on 'Ed Sullivan': 50 Years Later

More From You

246 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
honeyrose3332 February 12 2014 at 4:20 PM

There's going to be an encore presentation I presume of Sunday night's presentation at 7:30 p.m. central standard time. I watched it Sunday and enjoyed it, as I liked many Beatles songs in their early days. Didn't follow them too much in their latter years. As solo artists I think Paul and Ringo have put out some good songs, like the one by Paul about "silly love songs". I plan to watch the encore tonight.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
jww501217 February 10 2014 at 5:02 AM

I never liked the Beatles and I thought their "music" was crap and made for the teeny boppers only. They learned their roots from the "real" musician and ground breakers and were never legitimate ground breakers themselves. Never saw what or why people went so crazy over. Looks like they were t the right time for our generation to split from our parents generation. Never thought that their music was real, just plastic. Look who they credited with their styleand you will see the real music.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
barbiejan1 February 10 2014 at 4:31 AM

just disappointed as the way the media was talking about this for a month, that it was to be just as it was played on feb. 9, 64, and they started playing the first clip and had Maroon 5 played over them. I really wanted to see the 5 songs they played on the night of 2-9--64 and thenmove along with your show of presentations and covers and congratulatons etc. BUT I just really wanted to see the show as i saw in in 1964.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Fred February 10 2014 at 3:47 AM

Turn the channel when they came on,,,,old has beens out of money.

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
jp1863 February 10 2014 at 3:13 AM

....for those of us who experienced them during our youth....tonight brought back a flood of memories of how MUCH they were a part of our lives. There WAS something about the incredible level of their talent that really is best stated as " given to us by God"...at the PRECISE time when the world was so close to nuclear annihilation. Their magic spread over the "Iron Curtain" and helped PACIFY those youths in the communist countries who MAY have been a deadly enemy in a third world war. I believe that if there is such a thing as "divine providence" here on earth.....The Beatles were GIVEN to the world, after the horror of WWII and the murder of John Kennedy. It is impossible to describe with words just how great they were and how much love they projected to us......and how much we loved them. I can only say that I am so fortunate to have lived during their era and .....like millions of others..... so blessed to have had their music become a part of my soul. So much of THEM lives inside us through their music.....a gift given to us by the one who IS love...

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to jp1863's comment
jww501217 February 10 2014 at 5:05 AM

The Beatles sucked and their music sucked. It lacked heart, soul and a good sound. YUCK!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
jeffthrow6892 February 10 2014 at 2:55 AM

What a milestone.......50 years. And in all that time since, it's been obvious over & over that The Beatles were & are, simply the greatest band of all time! They did so many different styles of music, & did it better than anyone before or since.......

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to jeffthrow6892's comment
jww501217 February 10 2014 at 5:06 AM

Don't make me puke. The greatest ever? I see you bought into the hype. You are not a musician I guess.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
Big Daddy February 10 2014 at 2:43 AM

I was shocked that Jeff Bridges did not mention Elvis Presley as one of the rockers that he listened to as kids before the Beatles came on the music scene.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
phlroge February 10 2014 at 2:35 AM

That was way more than I excpected! It showed some honest real heart to heart stuff from all! I applaud them all! I think more is to come!!!

And I hope it changes the hip hop and rap way.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
jeffgsh February 10 2014 at 2:14 AM

Once there was a time we thought we could change the world with love. Thanks for reminding me.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
cafebeege February 10 2014 at 1:59 AM

They all did a magnificent job !! Hope they come out with a disc or something to be able to watch whenever at home.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down