Knox tells of guilt over Patrick Lumumba in new Guardian interview

Amanda Knox was recently re-convicted, alongside Raffaele Sollecito, of killing her roommate, Meredith Kercher back in 2007. Now, the 25-year-old is speaking out in a new interview with The Guardian about her refusal to return to Italy and the guilt she feels over accusing barman Patrick Lumumba of the murder.

Lumumba, Knox's former boss at a nearby bar, was held in custody for two weeks after Knox told police she heard him kill Kercher in the house they shared in Italy. Now, Knox reveals that she "really struggled what happened with Patrick," saying she knows how hurt he was over the accusations.

In the Guardian interview Knox explains, "Granted, I was in a position where I couldn't give answers. But if you read what I said after my interrogations, I said I could not testify against him, and yet his lawyer continues to say I was going to let him languish in prison. And the police kept him when he had an alibi, so his anger is misdirected."

Knox goes on to explain the breakdown she faced when she falsely named Lumumba: "When I named Patrick, I just started weeping. I thought, Oh my God, it must be true what they're saying. I must have witnessed my friend's murder somehow, and now I'm traumatised enough to not even remember it. And to be drawn into this horrible idea of what happened was so completely overwhelming that I just wept for I don't know how long. I was delirious."

Knox was later found guilty of slandering Patrick Lumumba and given an additional three year sentence.

Also in the The Guardian interview, Knox reveals she feels trapped after the new verdict, but is trying to keep her head high: "I'm trying to stay in the present moment, just do things, because otherwise it's overwhelming."

Meanwhile, Knox's former boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito told PEOPLE that he has no regrets about returning to Italy because he has nothing to hide. Sollecito faces 26 years in prison while Knox received 28 and a half years.

cleds70 February 08 2014 at 5:28 PM

money is nice to have, at least it allows you a chance to be heard

sonnyellar February 09 2014 at 4:12 AM

The fact that she falsely accused someone, her credibility had been jeopardized. I know nothing about what really happened but imagine how Knox felt if it wasn't really her who murdered Kercher...terrible! & yet she deliberately pinpointed Lumumba knowing for a fact that He had nothing to do about the murder!

muffin February 08 2014 at 5:46 PM

I believe she was involved even though she may not have actually killed her roommate. The Italian judicial system appears seriously lacking of credibility. Remember, they are still trying to deal with the so-called captain of the cruise ship he destroyed for his personal pleasure along with killing 17 people. Oops, I forgot--he slipped and fell into the water while trying to help his passengers. Yeah, and he was not aware of the rocks in the water because they were not on his map. How close to shore was he? Close enough to cause the deaths of many people. And he is still not convicted over 2 years later. Now AK is making the rounds of tv shows and writing a book, and we are to feel bad for her. What about the women who was killed?

muffin muffin February 08 2014 at 7:03 PM

She should shut her mouth and take her consequences. When you are in a foreign country, you cannot act like she apparently did and run home with no consequences. You are under that country's laws when you are in their country. She continues to profit from the crime. While I do not know all the facts, I do believe she is involved more than she admitted. She has bankrupted her parents, yet she continues spouting out stuff about the case. Is this to make us feel bad FOR her. Yes, she can go about her life and act like nothing happened. Too bad Meredith K cannot do the same. So she cut her hair and dressed in plain clothes. The reason for this? Does she want us to think that someone with that appearance could/would not be involved in a scheme like she was in Italy.

caraes February 08 2014 at 5:56 PM

oh please.....

connieaparis February 09 2014 at 4:12 AM

I was unaware that she had blamed an innocent person.
I do believe that evidence was not handled correctly and I just see no reason for them to have committed this murder. I do hope the truth comes out and that there is justice for the victim.
God knows what really happened and so do they.

princesscoldheart connieaparis February 11 2014 at 7:46 AM

Indeed, & only God Himself is worthy to judge her for her sins, whatever they may have been, & where her heart was at the time she committed them. It is not for us to judge, ultimately.

jibbers0262 February 08 2014 at 2:23 PM

Just take a lie detector test. At least the authorities will know if she's telling the truth.

I'm not judging but I think the authorities know a lot more then what were reading. Hope the truth will come out soon.

jybingdownwind jibbers0262 February 08 2014 at 2:27 PM

Please explain to us why lie detectors are inadmissable in court.

Dead Wrong February 08 2014 at 10:30 PM

this case is a joke

wtnindians46 February 08 2014 at 1:56 PM

Very confused.....

Rogell February 08 2014 at 10:21 PM

Its a pretty sad case for all concerned.

Mostberg February 08 2014 at 1:51 PM

Ah yes, good old fashioned Yellow Journalism. Does not matter how important the story - and in the greater scale of things this is not - it is a matter of stirring the pot with a gossipy high profile story. It also help cover up the persistent violence and the really high numbers of murdered in our urban ghettos. Also murders by drunk driving - about 10,000 per year. Attention to those 2 areas would actually save lives by the thousands each year. Cases like Knox and Zimmerman are so rare as to be off the radar excepted that it pleases the press - and some politicians - to distract from the real issues where we can make an actual impact. It is called denial - a psychological maladiy.