Knox tells of guilt over Patrick Lumumba in new Guardian interview

Amanda Knox was recently re-convicted, alongside Raffaele Sollecito, of killing her roommate, Meredith Kercher back in 2007. Now, the 25-year-old is speaking out in a new interview with The Guardian about her refusal to return to Italy and the guilt she feels over accusing barman Patrick Lumumba of the murder.

Lumumba, Knox's former boss at a nearby bar, was held in custody for two weeks after Knox told police she heard him kill Kercher in the house they shared in Italy. Now, Knox reveals that she "really struggled what happened with Patrick," saying she knows how hurt he was over the accusations.

In the Guardian interview Knox explains, "Granted, I was in a position where I couldn't give answers. But if you read what I said after my interrogations, I said I could not testify against him, and yet his lawyer continues to say I was going to let him languish in prison. And the police kept him when he had an alibi, so his anger is misdirected."

Knox goes on to explain the breakdown she faced when she falsely named Lumumba: "When I named Patrick, I just started weeping. I thought, Oh my God, it must be true what they're saying. I must have witnessed my friend's murder somehow, and now I'm traumatised enough to not even remember it. And to be drawn into this horrible idea of what happened was so completely overwhelming that I just wept for I don't know how long. I was delirious."

Knox was later found guilty of slandering Patrick Lumumba and given an additional three year sentence.

Also in the The Guardian interview, Knox reveals she feels trapped after the new verdict, but is trying to keep her head high: "I'm trying to stay in the present moment, just do things, because otherwise it's overwhelming."

Meanwhile, Knox's former boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito told PEOPLE that he has no regrets about returning to Italy because he has nothing to hide. Sollecito faces 26 years in prison while Knox received 28 and a half years.

boatbrain February 08 2014 at 12:51 PM

It's important for people to know, in an interview with the Daily Mail Online, a British media outlet, Patrick Lumumba said the same cops who had interrogated Knox also mistreated him.
He says they burst into his home in plainclothes with guns drawn so at first he did not think they were police, then took him to the station, and interrogated him for 11 hours with no food, and "punched and kicked him" and called him "dirty black" and said he should be in America where we have a death penalty.
In fact, according to some news reports he did sue but got only a small settlement, and, though he was not a suspect, kept his bar closed until it went under.
So, Lumumba basically backs up Knox on the claim of police abuse. I will look for a link but if you google Lumumba interview and "Daily Mail" you should find it.

Joe453 February 08 2014 at 4:32 PM

I do not know if she did this or not! My bias is that she did not! But there is only one truth that happened to Kercher. She unfortunately was killed, and Knox is either Guilty or innocent of that. If she was not involved, then no other lesser crime matters!!... naming someone else, not being "emotional" enough, giving evasive answers...those do Not matter! If Italy got her murder conviction wrong the first time, they do not get to accuse her of any lesser crime, because their judicial system has committed a much greater crime than hers! ..and that judicial system needs to pay a price! Their judicial system as a whole must forfeit any lesser claims. These are rules I believe in,..yes I'm arrogant...and yes I'm Right! A wrongful murder conviction is Not acceptable!
They have someone else arrested, accused, and convicted of Kerchers murder. A black male admitting to being in the apartment, with footprints and DNA evidence being pretty strongly weighing against him, despite his conflicting testimonies. Do rational people actually believe, that a stranger breaks in one night, and sexually assaults the girl.... and coincidentally, the girls roommate and roommates boyfriend also decide to murder her as well? "Locum's Razor" ... "kiss" ..Keep it simple stupid!

booboodog February 08 2014 at 1:43 PM

When one travels outside the United States they are required to live by whatever country laws they are visiting, I think people tend to forget that tidbit :-/

earthgem57 February 08 2014 at 12:43 PM

But if she is not going to leave this country , can the Italian authorities FORCE her over there for new trial and/or imprisonment?? Or can they force the issue legally here? This was not explained or touched on in the article.

bigfile4 earthgem57 February 08 2014 at 12:55 PM

We have extradition treaties with most countries so that fleeing criminals can be rounded up and brought to trial. We try to respect those treaties as we also want to return criminals from foreign countries when the occasion arises. There are countries who haven't returned indicted murder suspects because we have a death penalty and they don't.

caraes February 08 2014 at 5:56 PM

oh please.....

CPA11973 February 08 2014 at 3:58 PM

maybe she should watch her back because Italy might try extraordinary rendition.

richyalf CPA11973 February 08 2014 at 4:09 PM

Bet they would never find her in Montreal.

xraybrain CPA11973 February 08 2014 at 4:11 PM

LOL...what is "extraordinary rendition"????

sialva February 08 2014 at 1:39 PM

Accusing someone in order to get a better deal from the DA , isn't something that only happens in Italy it happens in USA , CONSTANTLY .

omahakid sialva February 08 2014 at 1:57 PM

You got it !!

caprice420 February 08 2014 at 12:21 PM

"I must have witnessed my friend's murder somehow, and now I'm traumatised enough to not even remember it. And to be drawn into this horrible idea of what happened was so completely overwhelming that I just wept for I don't know how long. I was delirious."

Oh . . . okay Amanda!!

CREEPER February 08 2014 at 12:20 PM

Amanda When is the Lie Detector Test???? Then you can tell people like me to go F. off

pakagwamalkel CREEPER February 08 2014 at 2:35 PM

That's an excellent idea...go on Dr. Phil & take a lie detector test.
Dr. Phil???? give her a call.

gbbenner February 08 2014 at 2:59 PM

it is simply true for all conscientious people, You are never free again until the truth is faced and provided for,,.. whatever that truth may be. The real prison is where one lives until that time.

World Series