nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50ieupgradebanner_112313 network-banner-empty upgradeBanner
AOL Mail
AOL Mail
AOL Favorites

Minn. school evacuated after possible carbon monoxide poisoning

Minn. Elementary School Evacuated After Possible Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

HLN says students in a Minnesota elementary school choir class are possibly suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. 'School officials have not officially released the cause but 30 students went to the hospital. The rest were taken to a nearby community center for their parents to pick them up.'

KARE says the fourth and fifth graders were in Springfield Elementary School's auditorium February 6th when they started feeling ill.

'They were taken to the nurse's office and that's then the nurses decided and said 'hey --this is a bigger deal than we anticipated.' They called in first responders. Ultimately the school was evacuated.'

WCCO spoke with the mother of one of the children who became ill.

'Something wasn't right, 'cause he was pale, white as a sheet. You could tell his eyes were kinda heavy, like when they're sick they're really heavy. He was really white, and he just said he wanted to lay down.'

WCCO says she then took her son, Cole, to the Mayo Clinic Health System Hospital. Lab tests showed he had higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in his blood.

Cole was kept on an IV and given oxygen, but thankfully he was later released.

The Journal spoke with the local fire chief who said no carbon monoxide was found when the school building was checked. Additional tests are being conducted to determine the cause of the incident.

All of the students have been released from the hospital.

Some parents told WCCO they will not be sending their children back until the cause of the illness is determined.

More From You

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
ga7smi February 10 2014 at 9:47 PM

I live in MN and didn't know about this

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
kimcrdr February 10 2014 at 3:51 PM

carbon monoxide is a very silent killer, I dont blame the parents for not sending their children back there until the school is completely checked out, and then it would be worrisome!

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
Michael Johnson February 10 2014 at 2:50 PM

I guess its better to stay home then get on a school bus without seatbelts.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to Michael Johnson's comment
tony February 10 2014 at 5:10 PM

Thou be correct 4 1se, good job & keep up the semi good work.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
shelbydog56 February 10 2014 at 2:47 PM

Conversion disorder.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to shelbydog56's comment
emoore2927 February 10 2014 at 4:19 PM

Very possible.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
icadodge February 10 2014 at 2:45 PM

parking on an outer perimeter should be allowed, but not with motors running... if its cold wait until it is time to pick up your child before approaching the buildings houseing them... shut off your engine, and allow the children who are waiting in line to breath with out all the fumes, move up when its your turn. And ticket anyone who jumps in line, or leaves engines running in the school zone's

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
icadodge February 10 2014 at 2:42 PM

School buses and persons coming to pick up children should not be allowed to park
with in 2 to 3 thousand feet of all entry ways, windows, doors, breeze ways... this would help greatly
I remember when parents and school buses came after school to pick up kids it the atmosphere really began to smell, vapor from the car and bus fumes were horriable... it usually lasted about 20 to 30 minutes before school was out. Never should any vehical be allowed to park near to the buildings and keep its motor running.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
hpycmpr155 February 10 2014 at 12:38 PM

Ban carbon monoxide before it injures or kills anyone else.
Only criminals will have carbon monoxide.
This should NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN in our schools,'
Everyone should be fitted with a personal carbon monoxide alarm.

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
2 replies to hpycmpr155's comment
wlh1923 February 10 2014 at 2:14 PM

Better yet, ban TROLLS like stupid camper so they stop making this stupid comment. Seriously, do you EVER give your 2nd amendment nonsense a rest?

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
tony February 10 2014 at 5:14 PM

Excellent idea there compry, has thou ever considered running 4 president? With ideas like that, wow, thou would go far. Get thou`s app in pronto.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
fay38 February 10 2014 at 12:04 PM

Must have eaten too much Minnesota cooking.

Reply Flag as Abusive -6 rate up rate down
1 reply to fay38's comment
hpycmpr155 February 10 2014 at 12:39 PM

LOL That will either kill you or make you stronger!

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
maxcranium February 10 2014 at 11:59 AM

Maybe it's an under ground volcano?

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
Charles Brown Jr February 10 2014 at 11:35 AM

there is more to this matter than what we think, everything is happening and it happening like the Bible told us that it would,,, what i'm saying is that people need to take more notice as to what is going on in society as a whole, i pray that all the children get better but we as patents need to be more about our business with God and the Bible in order to really know what is going on, if God said these things would happen and then you will know that the end is near then who are we to change any of His words, i will pray for all the children and parents for better understanding,,, if anyone has anything to say towards this that i'm saying then you know where to find me... messenger of GOD!!!!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive -13 rate up rate down
5 replies to Charles Brown Jr's comment
~~ 2592000


More From Our Partners