nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50ieupgradebanner_112313 network-banner-empty upgradeBanner
14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Minn. school evacuated after possible carbon monoxide poisoning

Minn. Elementary School Evacuated After Possible Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

HLN says students in a Minnesota elementary school choir class are possibly suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. 'School officials have not officially released the cause but 30 students went to the hospital. The rest were taken to a nearby community center for their parents to pick them up.'


KARE says the fourth and fifth graders were in Springfield Elementary School's auditorium February 6th when they started feeling ill.

'They were taken to the nurse's office and that's then the nurses decided and said 'hey --this is a bigger deal than we anticipated.' They called in first responders. Ultimately the school was evacuated.'

WCCO spoke with the mother of one of the children who became ill.

'Something wasn't right, 'cause he was pale, white as a sheet. You could tell his eyes were kinda heavy, like when they're sick they're really heavy. He was really white, and he just said he wanted to lay down.'

WCCO says she then took her son, Cole, to the Mayo Clinic Health System Hospital. Lab tests showed he had higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in his blood.

Cole was kept on an IV and given oxygen, but thankfully he was later released.

The Journal spoke with the local fire chief who said no carbon monoxide was found when the school building was checked. Additional tests are being conducted to determine the cause of the incident.

All of the students have been released from the hospital.

Some parents told WCCO they will not be sending their children back until the cause of the illness is determined.

Join the discussion

1000|Char. 1000  Char.
Gator Gary February 10 2014 at 8:07 AM

Where were the code required CO detectors?

Flag Reply +11 rate up
1 reply
tony Gator Gary February 10 2014 at 5:26 PM

On the walls, next to the cameras.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
kimcrdr February 10 2014 at 3:51 PM

carbon monoxide is a very silent killer, I dont blame the parents for not sending their children back there until the school is completely checked out, and then it would be worrisome!

Flag Reply +2 rate up
b2ran February 10 2014 at 6:55 AM

GOOD LORD! They didn't Carbon Monoxide detectors in place . In this situation as important as Smoke Detectors.

Flag Reply +6 rate up
1 reply
xessexcva9 b2ran February 10 2014 at 9:02 AM

Unless the heating system in this school is either a oil or coal fired boiler system (or they had a school bus inside the building, running) carbon monoxide detectors would be of little value. It takes combustion to produce carbon monoxide.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
Michael Johnson February 10 2014 at 2:50 PM

I guess its better to stay home then get on a school bus without seatbelts.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
1 reply
tony Michael Johnson February 10 2014 at 5:10 PM

Thou be correct 4 1se, good job & keep up the semi good work.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
rickposyton February 10 2014 at 7:29 AM

I live in NE MN and my wife has worked in the cafeteria for almost 1 1/2 decades. The things she tells me about the way our local school is run infuriate me. In the past the same school was a model of a caring, small town school. The cafeteria made delicious, nutritious meals that were so good that people in town would order lunches from there. In the past 5 yrs they've begun to run the place on what seems to be a "for profit" business model, opting for "minimum" nutritional and portion requirements. Food safety practices are not followed and reports are falsified to satisfy regulators and inspectors. These practices have also spilled over to the way the building itself is run- not keeping doors locked and so on. My wife and a very few others have complained to the superintendent and continue to get no more than lip service. The corruption is astounding, because it exists at all levels. It seems all they care about is money, and not the children or school employees. I suspect that nothing will be found wrong at this school in question. Most likely it will be covered up to cover someones butt.

Flag Reply +10 rate up
gardinerda February 10 2014 at 7:51 AM

Don't they have CO detectors in the building? They have to be installed in rental units, why not in schools???

Flag Reply +5 rate up
1 reply
Jared gardinerda February 10 2014 at 11:42 AM

They are required in schools

Flag Reply 0 rate up
MICHAEL February 10 2014 at 10:37 AM

a carbon monoxide detector would tell the tale. easy.

Flag Reply +9 rate up
Phyllis February 10 2014 at 10:49 AM

Carbon monoxide poisoning can hit any of us, I would think after the school got an inspection and the problem found, it should be safe to go back to it. I would only do that if I saw paperwork that showed the problem had been fixed that is if that is the problem.

Flag Reply +5 rate up
msukc February 10 2014 at 9:35 AM

Yet another "video" that begins playing whether we want it to or not.

Flag Reply +11 rate up
3 replies
granaryst February 10 2014 at 7:31 AM

It is time for us to stop supporting our failing and sometimes dangerous public schools. Give the money being wasted by them to the parents so they can send their children to the school of their choice instead of being forced into failed schools by the government.

Flag Reply +8 rate up
3 replies
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

More From Our Partners