Men and women have different nightmares

Men and Women Have Different Nightmares

Men and women are alike in many ways, but 'Today' reports that there are some big differences in the scenarios taking place in our minds once we hit the hay.

'Psychologists coded thousands of dreams in a recent journals, and it turns out there are differences in what startles us in our sleep,' 'Today' explains

That's right, we're talking about nightmares. The study from the University of Montreal found men and women were awakened by different types of nightmares.

'Male nightmares were more likely to feature themes of disaster or calamity like floods. Women, though, were more likely to be tormented by conflicts with their spouse, a relative or a colleague,' WJXT reports.

According to Daily Mail, the study also discovered differences in the types of people found in our dreams.

Men tend to dream about fictitious characters, while women are more likely to dream about people and settings they know.

The study also found that women seemed to have more nightmares than men. One possible explanation is that women are more likely to remember their dreams and nightmares.

The co-author of the study told The Guardian about another possibility, noting that 'some men don't want to admit to having nightmares, so they intentionally lie about their frequency.'

Why the difference in nightmare scenarios? One of the authors says he's a firm believer that dreams are just an extension of our waking state.

abupaul February 10 2014 at 8:06 AM

I do dream about huge tidal waves from time to time. Although I fortunately haven't had the dream where you show up to school or work and you realize you forgot your pants in a very long time. I used to hate those dreams the most!

lbreamer abupaul February 10 2014 at 10:25 AM

I dream of tidal waves too - and the classic interpretation is that we're dealing with something that's overwhelming us in our waking hours. It's awful!!

abupaul lbreamer February 10 2014 at 11:37 AM

But what I used to dream about a lot too was either swinging on some gigantic swing high up in the air, or flying around in some open-air jet or helicopter sort of contraption, like maybe a really fast ultralight. And it was always at night, and I was single back then, so I'm sure somebody would love to psychoanalyze that one. But what I remember most was that they were thrilling dreams and I'd wake up wishing I could do that in real life. In case you're wondering, no, I didn't subsequently become a pilot or astronaut. Bummer, eh?

Flag +2 rate up
lbreamer February 10 2014 at 10:21 AM

I know that I dream of tidal waves - a lot. And usually when I dream of them, it's because I'm feeling overwhelmed in my "real life". I've had tidal wave dreams since I was a child. I have vivid dreams, and I also have serial dreams, where I return to a place or places I've dreamed of before. Since my Mom passed away & I lost my home, I dream of those things more frequently now. I don't need dream analysis to tell me what that's all about...

heavenhelpus2222 February 10 2014 at 10:06 PM

I am so tired by the time I go to bed after working all day and then coming home and picking up after people who are lazy and sit on their butts all day and do absolutely nothing and then cooking dinner and getting stuff ready for the next day..........I have no idea what I dream about and don't remember it even if I do dream ........

c2645 February 10 2014 at 9:35 PM

I dreamt that I ate a giant marshmallow and when I woke up my pillow was gone!

trickeru c2645 February 11 2014 at 12:17 AM

that to funny lol

Luvucats February 10 2014 at 8:57 PM

I don't know where I fit in. Most of my nightmares are hilarious; like the one about the man-eating goat! I usually awaken, laughing!

Ken Luvucats February 11 2014 at 12:22 AM

It may be funny for you, but the poor goat! They have herbivore dentition and ruminant digestive systems. Dream about a man-eating polar bear from now on - the goat will thank you. (And so will the bear.)

kathryn February 10 2014 at 7:56 PM

Well I am 100% woman and I have end of world dreams and disasters all the time. I rarely if ever have any nightmares about conflicts with anyone, let alone my spouse. My nightmares range from natural disasters such as giant asteroids hitting the earth in a blizzard snow storm to massive destruction of buildings in large inner cities. I have had terrible nightmares when my son was little of missing or him drowning. That's when my husband and I decided it was time to get our son some swim lessons.

LL February 10 2014 at 1:51 PM

"With Much Business, Cometh Many Dreams" - our Creator tells us, and as a female, what I learned form this sudy makes perfect sense about why us ladies seem to remember and harbor negative thought towards those we "know" - much more so than men would - and this because (apparently) due to how we're designed, "we can't help it" - when it comes to holding a grudge, etc., and who can blame us; when we're reminded every sleeping hour of our time ?.....

LNOFT97 February 10 2014 at 12:04 PM

I too dream of bad things happening to people I know. It's logical. It's like it's "my job" to worry about a loved one driving on icy roads, a sick relative who needs a ride to the doctor every week, that kind of thing. Men are much more apt to leave "that kind of thing" to their wives.....I also have a recurrent dream that I'm discovering new rooms in my house. I'll be, say, making my bed and see a door open and think, why, I forgot all about those other rooms! That's a strange one.

bugz062537 February 10 2014 at 12:44 PM

my dreams are all around falling,fighting, helping others monsters created by my mind not one's i've seen on tv .. what do they mean?

lauramilr February 10 2014 at 2:26 PM

I want to know who all these people are in my dreams - I seem to know them but don't have a clue as to who, where & why.

Melanie lauramilr February 11 2014 at 12:28 AM

me too. i always dream of people who i don't know. but according to "studies" people can't dream of a face they've never seen.

World Series