AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Men and women have different nightmares

Men and Women Have Different Nightmares

Men and women are alike in many ways, but 'Today' reports that there are some big differences in the scenarios taking place in our minds once we hit the hay.

'Psychologists coded thousands of dreams in a recent journals, and it turns out there are differences in what startles us in our sleep,' 'Today' explains

That's right, we're talking about nightmares. The study from the University of Montreal found men and women were awakened by different types of nightmares.

'Male nightmares were more likely to feature themes of disaster or calamity like floods. Women, though, were more likely to be tormented by conflicts with their spouse, a relative or a colleague,' WJXT reports.

According to Daily Mail, the study also discovered differences in the types of people found in our dreams.

Men tend to dream about fictitious characters, while women are more likely to dream about people and settings they know.

The study also found that women seemed to have more nightmares than men. One possible explanation is that women are more likely to remember their dreams and nightmares.

The co-author of the study told The Guardian about another possibility, noting that 'some men don't want to admit to having nightmares, so they intentionally lie about their frequency.'

Why the difference in nightmare scenarios? One of the authors says he's a firm believer that dreams are just an extension of our waking state.

More From You

123 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
fluffypuppy2008 February 11 2014 at 2:32 AM

Really?? Im a girl and my nightmares are like action movies! Full of sharks and tornadoes and floods and all sorts of terrible events! An argument with a family member? Not so much...

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to fluffypuppy2008's comment
lashleydunc11 February 11 2014 at 4:33 AM

Same here except mine get a bit more disturbing. My mother use to tell me I should take up writing horror books but I'm no writer. I actually look forward to going to bed at this point as my dreams/nightmares are far more exciting than day to day life. Even when I was little I did not dream the normal little girl dreams (but they didn't get to disturbing/creepy levels until I was a teen). One cool reoccurring dream I would have would be me fighting the giant snake from Anaconda with the characters from Star Wars. The dream would always start with Han Solo apologizing that my family did not make it and then he would hand me a light saber. After which we would fight the snake to the bitter end :)

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
georgechevrolet February 11 2014 at 1:40 AM

Any of you guys out there ever wake up next to your wife after she had a nightmare that you were cheating on her and she punches you in the arm? I have.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Melanie February 11 2014 at 12:20 AM

women's nightmares are about conflicts with people they know? does that really qualify as a nightmare? that's boring. i have nightmares about vampires and crazy **** like that..lol

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Ken February 11 2014 at 12:12 AM

I was about to say I don't dream about disasters and calamities...but, wait, someone named Obama is President, Harry Reid is controlling the Senate, and there's an Affordable Care Act being phased in. Maybe I am now....what time IS my alarm set for tomorrow morning, anyway?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
indii February 10 2014 at 11:32 PM

Then i must really be a man cause i dream of disaster floods often

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Frank Bryson Valois February 10 2014 at 11:03 PM

This is a BD study. I remember my dreams every single night. I also dream about people I know more than not.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
ernest_sanders26 February 10 2014 at 10:42 PM

something new in bed room

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
komivesdd February 10 2014 at 10:41 PM

Men dream about golf, women dream about somehow losing their meal ticket husband/boyfriend.

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
1 reply to komivesdd's comment
Ken February 11 2014 at 12:14 AM

Me dream about golf? That would be a nightmare for those who do.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
sam.mills50 February 10 2014 at 10:19 PM

This is a must see. Google the term CRAZY RICH CASH and go to the top site. Click on the PENNY STOCK page to see what the rich are hiding this time.

Reply Flag as Abusive -4 rate up rate down
rsch34 February 10 2014 at 10:13 PM

I had a dream about having an affair with my best friends wife. I don't even like her, so I am assuming it was a nightmare. Oh, and were caught by a mutual friend.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to rsch34's comment
ernest_sanders26 February 10 2014 at 10:45 PM

Eye woke up,the dream was over

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down