Calif. high school apologizes for 'offensive' lunch menu

Calif. High School Apologizes for 'Offensive' Lunch Menu

A California high school is apologizing after plans for lunch menu items meant to celebrate Black History Month generated some controversy.

HLN explains that the menu included 'fried chicken, corn bread and watermelon. The idea came from the black student union. School officials say it may have sounded tasty, but the menu had nothing to do with black history.'

After some parents and students said the selection was offensive, the interim president of Carondelet High School told KTVU those items won't be served after all. She also explained why the students chose those foods for the lunch menu.

Sister Ann Bernard explains that 'they thought this was a very clever way, in their own way, of celebrating Black History Month. It was as simple and as naive as that.'

After those items were cancelled, reactions about the decision were a bit mixed. A student told KPIX that she felt 'it wasn't to hurt anyone, but it was just a little too far.' Meanwhile, an NAACP member asks that the school try to 'move on. Let's be more progressive. Let's not be so insulted about something so minute.'

KCBS points out the student union that drafted up the menu didn't get approval from school staff.

Local outlets report the school plans to hold an assembly to talk about racial stereotypes and diversity.

Lisa February 07 2014 at 7:18 PM

Offensive? Sounds delicious to me!

Claire February 07 2014 at 7:00 PM

What would be an appropriate Black History Menu???

fishhuntsleep Claire February 07 2014 at 7:13 PM

They should have served chitlins, bream, black eyed peas, okra, grits, hush puppies and orange soda. Ethiopian descendants should have just fasted for the day.

lisa_james228 fishhuntsleep February 07 2014 at 7:20 PM

I'm Black and I couldn't tell you what Chitterlings taste like if it depended on your life!!! I don't know what Bream is and I don't like Grits, and Okra is slimey. Now maybe the Black Eyed Peas with some Rice and the Orange Soda.......I could handle that!!! LOL

Flag +2 rate up
lisa_james228 Claire February 07 2014 at 7:14 PM

For me, it would be Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo; Shrimp Fried Rice; Chicken and Dumplings; Cornbeef and Cabbage with Rice; maybe even a Cornbeef and Pastrami Sandwich on Rye with Spicy Mustard!!! I'm just not quite sure what one would eat for Black History Month!!! This is absolutely hilarious!!!

braigno2 February 07 2014 at 6:57 PM

ain't nobody got time for dat!

lisa_james228 braigno2 February 07 2014 at 7:10 PM

Too too funny!!!!

cesarantioch February 07 2014 at 6:57 PM

What a load of crap

speedyneutrino83 February 07 2014 at 6:57 PM

Bullshit...I eat this stuff all the time..and I'm white. dumbasses

srollinhard February 07 2014 at 6:53 PM

like beans and rice and enchiliadas on hispanic month in my school we were like hell yea thanks go out for lunch 30 years later im 46 now CC TX

jagentmike February 07 2014 at 6:53 PM

i happen to really like fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon. if that offends anyone too bad

windandclouds jagentmike February 07 2014 at 7:05 PM

I agree. I'm white, and I could eat that stuff every day. It's a great combo.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. It makes sense because food is quite important to people.
I'm from TX, like srollinhard, and the menus here are as he said, all about the beans, rice, enchiladas, tacos, burritos, etc.
If they had a Jewish history month, shouldn't a school have traditional Jewish food (whatever that might be)?

belldn3 February 07 2014 at 6:53 PM

And the idea came from the black student union.............Black student union, high school. I didn't know black student unions existed in HIGH SCHOOL. The school's explanation sounds like a crock to me, but, it could be true.....................I guess.

rojeliomd February 07 2014 at 6:52 PM

I agree with the lady in the interview ... let's move on ..... it is such a frivolous thing. Let's not make moutains out of mole hills ... it was not intended to hurt anyone!

Mike February 07 2014 at 6:51 PM

This is really going too far now. Black Americans are offended by EVERYTHING.