AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Bar posts insensitive joke about kids with cancer

Bar Posts Insensitive Joke About Kids with Cancer

A bar in Las Vegas is being criticized for posting an insensitive joke on its marquee after the Super Bowl.

'It wasn't funny, it involved sick kids,' HLN reported. 'The sign outside the bar said the 'Broncos couldn't beat the kids at St. Judes,' making fun of Denver's big loss in the Super Bowl.'

People have taken to the web to admonish the bar, urging others to avoid the Blind Tiger at all costs.

Unhappy patron

One Instagram user uploaded a photo of the sign, saying 'this is one of the most insensitive things I have ever seen ... Call and give them a piece of your mind!!'

One man did more than just call.

Jesse Moore saw The Blind Tiger's sign on social media and it really hit home. His 3-year-old daughter Jillian is battling a cancer that has a 50-50 chance of killing her.

He went to the bar to let employees know how he felt. 'What was on that sign is just soulless,' he said.

One of the bar's employees told KVVU the sign was in bad taste. 'My heart goes out to his family and all the other ones. We apologize. It just wasn't meant to be that mean or hurtful,' she said.

According to KPHO, the bar has a history with St. Jude. In the past, it has done a few fundraisers for the research hospital.

The bartender also mentioned to KVVU that this year marks the third year the bar has participated in a bike run benefiting the hospital.

The message has since been removed. Now it just says 'we fired the sign guy.'

New sign at The Blind Tiger

More From You

214 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
kbyannetti February 09 2014 at 2:54 PM

sign in bad taste????? YOU THINK?

Has it occured to anyone that there are QUITE a few things that should never hit the airways, the TVs, tge computers, the iPods, the ipads, whatever, whatever. The more press, the more you hear of copy cats.... AM I THE ONLY ONE HAVING THESE THOUGHTS?

So much depression, drugs and crime. Is the future doomed? Why can't we stop reporting IN DETAIL, all the ugliness that's happening.

I mean - "Just Saying"!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
NO welcome February 09 2014 at 1:18 PM

The bar for decency has definitely been moved. What people want to call free speech, is total uncaring about the impact of saying anything that crops up in any perverse mind. Matters not if it's hate-filled, ignorant or hurtful, say it if you think it's funny. This is 4th grade mentality, and the truly sad part of it is seeing all the Americans who can't wait to show their highest level of development.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
tzarolia February 09 2014 at 12:52 PM

Not funny at all.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
I love Snickers February 09 2014 at 12:48 PM

Okay, I admit the sign was rude and insensitive. But . . . . I'm sure the Broncos did their best. Sadly the truth hurts sometimes. A lot of those kids at St. Judes have big hearts, indomitable spirits, and are REAL fighters who don't give up. Sadly, from what I saw of the Super Bowl, the Broncos were really dominated, seemed to give up early on, and didn't fight that hard against the Seattle Seahawks. Mostly that afternoon I spent half the time watching the Puppy Bowl. Sigh. Another group that seemed to have what it takes to give the Broncos a real good fight. Poor Denver. What an embarrassment to those of US in Colorado. Thank God at least our Olympic athletes are giving us all reasons to be proud.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
John February 09 2014 at 11:18 AM

Q

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
sharishira February 09 2014 at 11:17 AM

My uncle whom I loved very much passed away from cancer. I loved my uncle with all my heart.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Margie February 08 2014 at 10:21 AM

Why oh why did I immediately remember the insensitive remark made by the President of the United States, Barack Obama, when he connecting his pathetic bowling score to someone bowling at the Special Olympics ? I think he said something of the nature that maybe he could qualify for the Special Olympics. Of course he apologized and the mainstream media, after gushing about his wonderfulness, went on to find something George Bush had said that they could bounce around and grade as being much, much worse, and characteristically excuse The Chosen One has having made a bad choice of words. Oh, yes--- of course.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
5 replies to Margie's comment
s February 08 2014 at 10:20 AM

When I look for examples of sensitivity and good taste Las Vegas is always
my first choice.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
gerry1413 February 08 2014 at 10:18 AM

In a word BOYCOTT

Reply Flag as Abusive -4 rate up rate down
emisix February 08 2014 at 10:07 AM

How about: The Broncos couldn't beat the stupidity out of the owners and drunks that patronize the Blind Tiger

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down