Anthony Davis picked to play in NBA All-Star game

Davis Replaces Kobe As All-Star

NEW YORK (AP) - New Orleans forward Anthony Davis was chosen Friday to replace the injured Kobe Bryant in the NBA All-Star game that will be played in his home city.

"It's a great opportunity for me. I'm excited to play in the game," said Davis, who was informed he'd been added to the Western Conference roster by Pelicans coach Monty Williams. "When coach said it. I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. I'm glad they chose me. I'll try to go out and represent New Orleans and the Pelicans."

Davis was nearly chosen as a reserve, but missed by one spot in voting by Western Conference head coaches, a person with knowledge of the details told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because vote totals were not released.

Speaking before the Pelicans hosted the Minnesota Timberwolves, Davis acknowledged he was disappointed when he was initially left off the roster.

"I was down, but I moved on. I understand that I have a lot more opportunities to try to get in the game," Davis recalled. "Today, it was great."

The 2012 U.S. Olympian ended up getting into the Feb. 16 game at Smoothie King Center when NBA Commissioner Adam Silver chose him to replace Bryant, who was voted by fans to start but is still recovering from a broken knee.

Davis is averaging 20.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and a league-leading 3.3 blocks for the Pelicans. Davis, the No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft, is also scheduled to play in the Rising Stars Challenge for rookies and second-year players next Friday.

Davis confirmed he still intended to play in that game as well, but Williams was gratified he got into the main event as well.

Williams said he thought Davis had worked so hard and was having such a stellar season that he had taken the unusual step of lobbying the coaches he knows best to vote for Davis as a reserve.

"I can't tell you how happy I was to be able to tell him the news after having to tell him the first time that he didn't make it. It was a cool moment. I can't express that enough, how happy I am for him," Williams said. "He thought I was joking. He said, 'Not a game, coach?' And I was like, 'No, not a game. You made it.' And he was speechless and laughing. You know, he's 20. I didn't expect a poem or anything.

"I thought he deserved it the first time," Williams added.

Minnesota coach Rick Adelman agreed.

"He certainly deserves it. He's the leading shot-blocker in the league," Adelman said. "I had a feeling he'd be the one they would chose and rightfully so, getting a representative from New Orleans in the game. He's certainly worth it."

Western Conference coach Scott Brooks of Oklahoma City will decide who replaces Bryant in the starting lineup.

___

AP Sports Writer Brett Martel in New Orleans contributed to this report.

pizzageogh February 08 2014 at 12:10 PM

It is not an all star game it is a popularity contest! If it was an all star game Goran Dragic' would be on the team!

Rick and Carolyn February 08 2014 at 12:10 PM

Kobe of course is too good to play in the Allstars. Just ask him. Todays Basketballs "Superstars" like to say they are hurt until playoff time. I think, if they miss half the season, the should be ineligible to play. The NBA lost a fan in me!!!!

frozenbull February 08 2014 at 12:19 PM

Kobe , Kobe, Kobe , Nobody want to watch you anyway . Beside, it will free you up for some family time . Maybe you can hang with the wife you cheated on .

David S. frozenbull February 08 2014 at 3:38 PM

Idiot.......

rlaura668 February 08 2014 at 11:57 AM

In college creepy eyebrows acceptable, in the pros get a stylist.

vjl8 rlaura668 February 08 2014 at 2:36 PM

get a life

nelson February 08 2014 at 12:31 PM

One the greatest scoring players in NBA history Kobe Bryant will for the sake of LA and their fans will return.

rayraysframes February 08 2014 at 1:03 PM

MAMBA, don't injure yourself any furthur, there comes a time for all greats to step aside. you've done your job, you are one of the greats. you have have enough money money that you don't need obamacare, bypass all of these jealouse a-holes that can't hold a match to to your farts. you came into the game at a young age , no shame in retiring at one. You've always been a better player than most. you're name goes up there with the Jordans, Kareems, Chamberlins, Russels,etc. If it weren't for you, some wouldn't have a ring. Go ahead and do commercials , enjoy the fruits of your talent. It's that time young man.

stick.milles February 08 2014 at 1:04 PM

This is a must see. Google the term CRAZY RICH CASH and go to the top site. Click on the PENNY STOCK page and see what the rich are trying to keep from all of us this time.

belldn3 February 09 2014 at 1:43 AM

Stuff happens, but I think Kobe should consider retiring.

DJ February 09 2014 at 2:06 AM

He really should consider retiring. He's done it all, his legacy is secure. The will may want to play but the body has reached the age where injuries are more frequent and take longer to heal, time to move on before he does some permanent damage. Enjoy your life and health. You earned it.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal