AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

After 22 years, Leno bids farewell to 'Tonight'

NEW YORK (AP) - Make way for Jimmy Fallon,

"Tonight Show" host Jay Leno ended a stellar if sometimes stormy run Thursday night with high emotion at concluding what he termed "the greatest 22 years of my life."

Calling himself "the luckiest guy in the world," Leno went out on top, which was where he stayed for most of his stretch as the successor to "King of Late Night" Johnny Carson.

His exit, not entirely by choice, now clears the deck for yet another chapter of the 60-year-old talk show, with Fallon taking over as "Tonight" moves back to New York from its longtime Los Angeles home on Feb. 17.

"You're very kind," Leno told his audience at the start of his last monologue. "I don't like goodbyes. NBC does. I don't care for them."

He had said goodbye to "The Tonight Show" before.

His first departure came in 2009, when he was briefly replaced by Conan O'Brien but reclaimed the show after a messy transition and O'Brien's lackluster ratings. In '09, he was moving to a prime-time show on NBC; this time he's out the door, and has said he'll focus on comedy clubs and his beloved car collection.

"I don't need to get fired three times," he cracked. "I get the hint."

Looking sharp in a black suit and bright blue tie, Leno was greeted by a standing ovation from the VIP audience. The typically self-contained comic betrayed a bit of nervousness, stumbling over a few lines in his monologue as he looked back comically.

"When I started hosting, Justin Bieber wasn't even born yet," Leno marveled. "That's why we called those 'the good old days.'"

The worst part of leaving NBC's employ, he joked: "Now I'll have to sign up for Obamacare."

But later Leno was serious, even choking up, when he shared that he'd lost his mother the first year he became "Tonight" host, his dad the second and then his brother.

"And after that I was pretty much out of family. And the folks here became my family," he said of the crew and staff of "Tonight."

The tender moments had a heightened effect on a show that was mostly aiming for laughs, with traditional monologue jokes, clips from old shows and a wild assortment of celebrities helping him close the book.

Leno brought his show full circle with Billy Crystal, who was his first guest in May 1992 and his last guest Thursday. Crystal played ringmaster at one point, calling on Oprah Winfrey, Jack Black, Kim Kardashian, Carol Burnett and others for a musical tribute to Jay with a "Sound of Music" song parody.

"So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye. If Fallon tanks you'll be back here next year," sang Jack Black.

"The Big Bang Theory" star Jim Parson's contribution: "We've watched you when we're weary. Your great success is called the big chin theory."

In a videotaped segment, celebrities offered career advice to Leno.

"Why would I give a (expletive) about what he does? He's a grown man," said Mark Wahlberg.

President Barack Obama, like other politicians a favorite target of Leno's, struck back in his clip.

"Jay, you've made a whole lot of jokes about me over the years, but do not worry, I'm not upset," Obama said, adding that he was making Leno the U.S. ambassador to Antarctica. "Hope you have a warm coat, funnyman."

Crystal sang Leno's praises during the show, saying the late-night host made America feel a little better at bedtime and invoking his predecessor, Johnny Carson. Leno's "Tonight" tenure was second in length only to Carson's 30 years.

"You were handed the baton by one of the all-time greats. But once it was in your grasp, you ran the race," Crystal said. He and Leno, longtime friends, reminisced about the old days, with Leno recalling how Crystal and other comedians visiting his town, Boston, stayed in Leno's apartment.

"You're calling it an apartment. I'm calling it a bomb site," Crystal joked.

Leno told how he was poised to make his network debut on Dean Martin's show in 1974 when news came that President Richard Nixon had resigned in the Watergate scandal. Leno's appearance didn't happen.

"Making me the last guy screwed by Nixon," Leno said.

Garth Brooks performed his touching song "The Dance" before Leno's likewise touching farewell remarks.

"Now that I brought the room down," Leno joked, he asked Brooks to lighten it up. Another Brooks' song, "Friends in Low Places," closed out the show.

Leno, 63, has said he plans to continue playing comedy clubs, indulging his passion for cars and doing such TV work as comes his way - other than hosting on late-night.

"I'm real excited for Jimmy Fallon," Leno told his audience. "It's kind of fun to be the old guy and sit back here and see where the next generation takes this great institution."

___

AP writers Lynn Elber and Derrik J. Lang contributed to this report.

More From You

1733 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
GBoettcher41 February 10 2014 at 11:23 AM

It was time to retire. You were on top and will be remembered as a great in the ranks of TV night shows. Better to leave with the sweetness of being one of the best than to linger on and diminish the brightness of your career. Good luck to you, I enjoyed your show.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
cutsonpaints February 09 2014 at 10:17 AM

I hope people boycott this show now. This is nothing more than political positioning and suppression of the First amendment. Plain truth is Leno wouldn't bow to Messiah Obama and was cut for that reason. NBC should be boycotted for failure to report truth. Of course when the president of the networks......husband is it (?) all 3 networks have either spouse or sibling of network president on Obamas staff

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
myziadeh February 08 2014 at 8:30 AM

Leno was great , Carson was replaced, No body could replace Leno He was the king of kings
Made me laugh a lot. He will be missed

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
ssmutly February 07 2014 at 10:29 PM

I am really going to miss him.. I imagine the difference between Jay and Jimmy will be night and day.. Oh well, a little extra sleep never hurt anybody..

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
lantern3456 February 07 2014 at 5:36 PM

What can I say? I still miss Jack Paar!

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
1 reply to lantern3456's comment
GBoettcher41 February 10 2014 at 11:34 AM

and Ernie Kovak too.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Hi Doe February 07 2014 at 5:10 PM

Jay, you sell yourself too short, and you under estimate your greatness and that love from all your fans. Think it over; you said you didn't want to go to another station because you did not know them. They know you though. You built a "family" with NBC AND it is not too late to build another one. Any other station would welcome you with open arms; they know what a treasure you are. NBC is just stupid, plain and simple. Please re-consider 2 families are better than one and you would be helping the audience by not depriving them of watching you once more.

Reply Flag as Abusive +7 rate up rate down
2 replies to Hi Doe's comment
jkstray February 07 2014 at 6:06 PM

Wow!!! You really said it for me too. Anyone who can appreciate so well is in all respects a GEM too. Thanks for saying what I was thinking.

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
rrebelx1 February 07 2014 at 7:56 PM

Like the rest of you, I will miss Jay Leno. But in reality, he is better off walking away with his head high as the King of Late Night than to go to another network and possibly fail. I do hope to see him perform one day.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
loser1leo February 07 2014 at 4:49 PM

Adios, amigo

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
bcharmz February 07 2014 at 4:28 PM

Jay you shall sorely be missed, you always brightened my evening and put me to sleep with a smile and a chuckle. You also have the kindest eyes in show business, so I believe the comments made by your fellow comedians about the strength and goodwill of your character.

Good luck to you, wherever life takes you, but I sure do hope its on HBO or Showtime!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
The Canoli King February 07 2014 at 3:56 PM

Well,being in my sixties,I guess I'll be getting to bed an hour earlier. I hated losing Johnny,now Jay,I personally can not take this crap anymore...It's like losing two friends in 23 years that I watch for the better part of my life.

Reply Flag as Abusive +8 rate up rate down
1 reply to The Canoli King's comment
jkstray February 07 2014 at 6:09 PM

Hey Canoli I am 74 and I still miss Steve Allen. Life goes on and good memories stay. At least Johnny and Jay are on tape. We were really shafted when they destroyed Steve's tapes

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
redsrainand2 February 07 2014 at 3:54 PM

Johnny Carson was the best. Jay Leno is a close second to him. They were both funny entertainers. Jimmy Fallon is just plain silly and I won't be watching.

Reply Flag as Abusive +10 rate up rate down