Student surprised when dad returns home

Maine Student Surprised at School by Deployed Dad
A Lewiston High School student had no idea he was going to be surprised at school by his father, who had been deployed for the last several months, WMTW reports.

Caleb Lussier, 15, a sophomore in the Junior ROTC program said all he knew Tuesday morning was that there would be a guest speaker at an assembly. Everyone was told the speaker's name couldn't be released because it was classified information.

Then, Lussier's father, U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Richard Lussier walked through the door. He had just returned from a five-month deployment to Afghanistan.

'I had no idea when I heard them say classified. They usually tell us who the guest speaker is,' said Caleb.

'I was very happy with the reception. I thought he was going to say, 'Hey old man,' said Lussier

Caleb's dad has actually been home since last Thursday, but he wanted to save the surprise until Tuesday's assembly. The biggest challenge was keeping it a secret. Caleb's entire family was in on the surprise.

'I have been at my daughter's the last two days," said Lussier. 'Sunday was the hard day. Kind of texting back and forth, 'we have to stall him. We have to stall him,'' said Caleb's mother, Caren Lussier.

Richard Lussier said he decided to re-enlist in the Air Force at the age of 49, 20 years after his first tour of duty.

He said it was not easy being away from Caleb, who has autism.

Richard Lussier said the Junior ROTC program has given his son new opportunities.

Caleb's dad is home until further notice, and Caleb said he is looking forward to catching up and spending time with his hero.

alldun30 February 06 2014 at 3:33 PM

Why do I keep getting a pop-up asking to install an Adobe Flash Player program, that then I cannot allow, deny, cancel or delete?

joanne alldun30 February 06 2014 at 3:47 PM

Me. too!

cd_anders alldun30 February 06 2014 at 5:57 PM

Me too!

maiden0048 February 06 2014 at 11:15 AM

What a great story! God bless this family!

bernadettethecop February 06 2014 at 2:53 PM

Love this story.

Diane February 06 2014 at 11:39 AM

That was soooooo nice.....I am happy for the boy!!!

tdiplaci February 06 2014 at 12:00 PM

Great story.

Jim Brown tdiplaci February 06 2014 at 1:07 PM

The guy comes home and waits 5 days to pull off this publicity stunt. God forbid, but what if something happened to him during that span? What if he got killed in a freak car accident. Think his kid would have been so happy to know d see his dad who hid from him so he could be front page news? It was a great story...6 years ago when it was original.

Sherry Lee February 06 2014 at 12:11 PM

All vets should receive a welcome home. The vietnam. korean and WW 2 vets never received their welcome home. How about the fan fare for our WW 2 vets, the greatest generation.

jveen10664 Sherry Lee February 06 2014 at 12:54 PM

Most WWII vets did recieve a welcome home there were parades and welcoming throngs at the docks when the ships came in. My Dad fought on Iwo Jima and he got a welcome home. At the docks, in his city and his neighborhood. Exactly as it should have been. Sadly the Korean vets got none and we Viet Nam Vets were actually insulted and abused when we returned. My group snuck back into the country in the middle of the night to avoid negative confrontations with the public. We were brought in on a civilian airline and transferred to unmarked buses to take us to be debriefed and get new uniforms.
To this day when one Viet Nam vet meets another the first time, we welcome each other Home! I am part of an American Legion Funeral Guard, we often get to work with young people from the services who have served in Iraq & Afganistan. When I meet them I thank them for their service and Welcome them Home. When they see my Campaign ribbons they welcome me home! It bring tears. This man is entitled to any kind of welcome he wants, any way he wants it. Judge not lest ye be judged!!

Tom jveen10664 February 06 2014 at 12:59 PM

Amen. Thank you for your service to our country - and WELCOME HOME!

Flag +7 rate up
Wolfy February 06 2014 at 5:46 PM

Welcome home SSgt.

Robert February 06 2014 at 5:46 PM

Love it! I love to get hugs from my grown sons.

bvesel Robert February 06 2014 at 6:39 PM

wasn't it awesome... that young man just would not let go of his dad... LOVE THAT!!
geez, I'm welling up...... again!

jnj1023 February 06 2014 at 5:43 PM

More news like this please.

acb420187 February 06 2014 at 1:25 PM

You negative trolls make me sick. This is a great story. What good have you done for this country besides sit around and complain.